Windows 10: Start menu not working

Discus and support Start menu not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rickchristine, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Start menu not working

Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel?

rickchristine, Apr 4, 2018

2. HiThe Windows 10 Start Menu has stopped working, when I click it, nothing will happen. Same with action center. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have any solution to the problem?

:)

berkilurki, Apr 8, 2018
  3. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Apr 8, 2018
  4. Start menu not working

Windows 10 Start Menu right click menu not working

I am having the same issue. I'm not sure how creating a local user account in Windows 10 will help. Can you explain? It seems like extra work and I'm not sure why it was working before and not working now.

MahoganyColeman, Apr 8, 2018
  5. Do you have a firewall installed other than Windows Firewall? I had the same issue using another firewall that was blocking auto updates. This occurred after the latest Windows Update.

Access Denied, Apr 8, 2018
  6. I have comodo internet security installed, should i try uninstall it?Discovered it yesterday, but have not used the computer in a few days.

berkilurki, Apr 8, 2018
  7. The start menu not working is due to a firewall blocking some kind of updates for the Microsoft apps/store etc. The only way I could fix it was to uninstall the firewall I was using. The Windows Firewall is good enough by itself. A lot of 3rd party firewalls are just a front end to it providing more options.

8. Start menu not working

tried to uninstall the firewall but there was no difference.

berkilurki, Apr 8, 2018
  9. There may be more underlying issues here than just your firewall blocking, which was my issue. I am sure someone else can post with more information on what they have experienced with this issue.

10. zbook New Member
    Perform the following steps:
    1) Open administrative powershell and type or copy and paste these commands:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative powershell box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    6) Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Re-register Start Menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    7) net user test /add
    8) shutdown /r
    9) sign on with the new user named test
    10) report into the thread whether the start menu works or not
    11) sign on with default user and report into the thread whether the start menu works or not

zbook, Apr 8, 2018
  11. Hi
    After the first four steps, this is what it says:

Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth>>Deployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.16299.15Image Version: 10.0.16299.334[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk /scanThe type of the file system is NTFS.Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 687616 file records processed.File verification completed. 16892 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 2227 reparse records processed. 884638 index entries processed.Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 2227 reparse records processed.Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Security descriptor verification completed. 98512 data files processed.CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 41944912 USN bytes processed.Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 243617791 KB total disk space. 209001748 KB in 479202 files. 297464 KB in 98513 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 816995 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 33501584 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 60904447 total allocation units on disk. 8375396 allocation units available on disk.PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

berkilurki, Apr 9, 2018
  12. The start menu did not work on the new user account or the old one, after the steps above.

berkilurki, Apr 9, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

Start menu not working

Please run the beta log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    Windows 10 Help Forums
    (extract > open)

zbook, Apr 9, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The hosts file displays the piracy of Adobe products:

Photoshop etc.

# 127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 lmlicenses.wip4.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 lm.licenses.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 na1r.services.adobe.com
    127.0.0.1 hlrcv.stage.adobe.com

Please review the forums rules. Help cannot be provided until this is removed.

No piracy or discussion of piracy allowed at all.

Brink, Apr 9, 2018
Thema:

Start menu not working

1. Start menu not working - Similar Threads - Start menu working

2. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working: I ran startmenu.diagcab and it said:Issues foundRequired applications are not installed correctly.Required applications are not installed correctly."Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.Not...
  3. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working: Hello ,I'm using asus zenbook 14 intel i5 11 gen.And today I upgraded to windows 11 .Everything is working fine but the start menu windows menu is not working, Can someone please help me to fix this problem. Thankyou...
  4. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: My computer froze and I was able to finally get it rebooted. After I got it back up then I cursor over the Start icon and it turns blue but when I click on it nothing happens. Also, when I click on taskbar items I get a window showing "explorer.exe' and "Class not...
  5. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Hi there. I have windows 10 installed on my desktop and I am having issues with Windows Explorer. None of the windows button commands work at the moment. I can't open the start menu no matter which way I attempt to do so nor can I interact with the search box to its...
  6. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working: So i let my PC install updates last night and I went to sleep. Today when i turned it on again, the start button stopped working. Taskbar works fine, i can still use the windows key in shortcut, just the start menu not wanting to open. Any suggesstions on what to do? I...
  7. start menu not working

start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  8. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  9. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have a fix for this? 4020
  10. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...