Windows 10: Start Menu Recent files

Discus and support Start Menu Recent files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On windows 7 it's convenient to have recent file at Start menu. How can I find this on windows 10? 11471 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by truelies, Jul 31, 2015.

1. truelies Win User

Start Menu Recent files

On windows 7 it's convenient to have recent file at Start menu. How can I find this on windows 10?

:)

truelies, Jul 31, 2015
  2. HigeGunso Win User

Windows 10 start menu

Wish there was a way to get "Recent Documents" or "Recent Files" back into the Start Menu. I do miss that Start Menu option...

HigeGunso, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Recent files are missing from Start menu

I know how to add a shortcut to recent folder:

List of recent documents not showing Windows 10

But this post is about the Recent files folder as it was available in Windows 7, what actually displayed the files so I could open my most used files without having to go to yet another window (e.g. without opening a file explorer).

I also know that most tiles in start menu and on taskbar have recent files, however:

1. I shouldn't have to add all programs/apps I use to start menu or taskbar.

2. I shouldn't have to remember which program/app I used to open a file. Was it a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet, or just a quick note I wrote with Notepad? It's the same concept like hiding the file extension by default, now those are coming back?
    I should be able to open MyStuff (whatever file extension) from a recent files list without having to know what program or app will open it.

In general, I work with files not programs, I shouldn't be forced to remember which program I used to open a specific file.

jbtiborjbtibor, Jul 31, 2015
  4. rezpower Win User

Start Menu Recent files

In windows 10 recent files go to file explorer Quick access

rezpower, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
  6. truelies Win User
    But this is very inconvenient. The Microsoft is weird, they remove good things and put them at wrong place.

truelies, Jul 31, 2015
  7. YOU
    You Win User
    can click the arrow next to File Explorer and there is a list of recent files.

8. truelies Win User

Start Menu Recent files

No recent files, only several folds here.

truelies, Aug 1, 2015
  9. DJG
    DJG Win User
    There's a View option whether to show or not recent files on the Quick Access section.

10. truelies Win User
    Disabled folds, then only several pinned items when I click start-file explorer small arrow, still no file.

truelies, Aug 1, 2015
  11. nohkul Win User
    I agree with truelies. Recent Files on Start was very convenient and I miss this feature. In Windows 10 the only way to see recent files is to open up Windows Explorer. It shows Quick Access by default which shows Frequent Folders and Recent files.

nohkul, Sep 16, 2015
  12. perdrix Win User
    Amen to that - I was a huge user of Recent Files in Windows 7. Removing this is a real PAIN!

Dave

perdrix, Oct 28, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Start Menu Recent files

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  14. perdrix Win User
    I played around with a shortcut to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent but really it didn't give me what I wanted.

So, to solve my problem I've installed "ClassicShell" which gives me what I want as to be frank I've found the Windows 10 Start Menu to be less than satisfactory, even after using it for 3 months, I just wanted something like the Windows 7 Start Menu which is what ClassicShell gives me (and it gives me back "Recent Items").

Cheers
    Dave

perdrix, Oct 28, 2015
  15. mousegolf Win User
    Windows 10 is failing in every area for keyboard and mouse PC users. No one should have to download and install third party software to make W10 User Friendly. It should be a part of the OS. Microsoft is crazy if they think "this ship will float".

The very few exeptions are people who like to fool around with "new things". Windows 7 is the leading OS in the world and will be that way for years to come. I would not be surprised to see it's support life cycle be extended beyond Jan 2020.

mousegolf, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

Start Menu Recent files

1. Start Menu Recent files - Similar Threads - Start Menu Recent

2. Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu: Hi Microsoft,I just switch from Win10 to Win11.In Win10, for the pinned apps of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in the Start menu, right click the mouse button can show the recent used files.However in Win 11, this function is disappeared for pinned apps in Start menu. It seems...
  3. Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent File Cannot be Shown in Apps pinned in Start Menu: Hi Microsoft,I just switch from Win10 to Win11.In Win10, for the pinned apps of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in the Start menu, right click the mouse button can show the recent used files.However in Win 11, this function is disappeared for pinned apps in Start menu. It seems...
  4. Recent application in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent application in start menu: The start menu use to show applications that you recently opened. Not sure when it happened, but they are no longer there. Is there a way to bring this back?...
  5. See Recent Items and Customize Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    See Recent Items and Customize Start Menu: I would like set my Win10 PC up similar to the way I have Windows 7 setup. I would like to see "Recent Items" and "Administrative Tools" on the Start Menu. Is there anyway to customize the start menu? 135642
  6. Start menu "recent items"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  7. Start - Recent Files problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start - Recent Files problem: When I use start>files explorer>recent files and I double-click a file, my laptop will open the appropriate program immediately but the chosen file does not load. For example: I have an Excel file called birthdays.xls. When I go Start>Explorer>Recent files and double-click...
  8. No recent document for applications on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    No recent document for applications on start menu: Hi! I used to have Windows7 for many years and lately I upgraded it to Windows10. On Windows7 I used to have for the application on start menu a black arrow right and when I hover it, I see the recent files I used (see attachment from Windows7 - red circles for the arrows):...
  9. Adding recent items to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding recent items to start menu: Hi, Does anyone know where I can find the settings for the Start menu of Windows X? I forgot where it is. I managed to put a link of the download folder in the start menu. Forgot how I did that in the first place. Thanks. 16448
  10. Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons: Hi, So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed it so I'm not sure how up-to-date it was, however it's just completely updated itself (I'm not sure which build it is, or...