Windows 10: Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable

Discus and support Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A family member recently upgraded (a week ago roughly) Windows 10 and all of the start menu metro icons (pinned apps, the default Weather tiles etc)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dgibbs, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dgibbs Win User

Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable

A family member recently upgraded (a week ago roughly) Windows 10 and all of the start menu metro icons (pinned apps, the default Weather tiles etc) disappeared.

In addition searching for the built in default apps like "Photos" or "Calc" returns no results. The only way I can run the calculator is by finding and running calc.exe directly. If I go to the Windows Store the default calculator is installed it just can't be found from the start menu.

• This doesn't effect 3rd party programs. For example searching Chrome in the Start Menu works fine.
    • I re-indexed the search thing and made sure the directories are correct in the settings
    • I made C:\WindowsApps (or similar) readable by the user which didn't seem to do anything

Is there a way to reset the start menu? Any help appreciated

:)

dgibbs, Mar 27, 2017

2. Missing apps and Microsoft Store desktop access after FCU

Hi,

Based on your last post, there is a possibility that some icons, links, and shortcuts may have been removed after the update was installed. We suggest searching for the applications using the Windows search bar and manually add it back to the Start menu
    and taskbar. If you find that there are applications that are unsearchable or completely removed after the update, please respond back so we can provide additional help.

We will keep an eye out for your update.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 27, 2017
  3. Weather live tile does not update

I would try the following.

If you have the possibility, right click on that common block (Store plus Photo) and delete that block from the start menu. Get rid of it! If you can not, go in any case to the next step here below.

Then I would reset the Store App (start from Setup on the start menu, then click on Apps, then Apps and Features, then click on the Store App, select Additional options, then Reset. Repeat the reset step two or three times.) . In doing so also the Store
    tile from the start menu is normally deleted (but you have the Store in any case in the start menu, in the list of Apps !)

In a similar way I would reset the Photo App.

At this point you should be able to bring back the respective tiles on the start menu. (Note however that the Live Tile of the Microsoft Store seems not to wok well, as I described in my previous reply)

There is also an automatic troubleshooting of the Apps in the start menu, Set Up, Update and security, Problems management. you can try also that.

(my computers are setup with the German Language, I translated to my best the various headings of the start menu to English, but words you see in your Windows menus may be actually slightly different...)

Monferrato, Mar 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, do you mean upgraded to Win 10 e.g. from Win 8?
    Or upgraded from build 1511 to the anniversary edition (Win 10 build to Win 10 build?)
    Or just a recent update?

From the Tutorial section here:
    Start Menu Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Could you please post a screenshot of your start menu (using the 'Insert Image' icon above your post)?

dalchina, Mar 27, 2017
  5. dencal Win User
  6. dgibbs Win User
    It seems another update has fixed the issue. Might be a Dell thing. Thanks though

dgibbs, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu Reset - Windows Apps Unsearchable - Similar Threads - Start Menu Reset

2. Windows Apps (Packages) on the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Apps (Packages) on the Start Menu: [ATTACH] Program icons for the Start menu are stored in 2 places: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ProgramsC:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs However, I cannot find the link/icon for 5 HP supplies utilities. On example is "HP...
  3. Small App Menu on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Small App Menu on Start Menu: [ATTACH] I have this really small app list on the Start menu, can't adjust it through settings, through a PowerShell command, really struggling - any ideas???...
  4. App icon missing from Start Menu after app reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App icon missing from Start Menu after app reset.: Edit : Ok, now it turns out that my entire game is "missing" from my PC, the store doesn't consider it installed, even though it is. And I can't find it in my programs. The store is only prompting me to redownload it again, even though it is downloaded and is taking 70GB+ of...
  5. Reset Start menu to default

Reset Start menu to default: I have just set up a new laptop and for some reason the start menu has corrupted. The programs no longer line up in a column but are in the centre of the screen in several columns. I read up about changing the TileDataLayer but cannot find this now in Widows 10 even in hidden...
  6. Start Menu Apps

Start Menu Apps: I am having problems with Start Menu apps. The display of some apps have this arrow down sign. It says it's maybe updating or installing it ain't. Please help me on how to fix this. Thank you...
  7. Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10

Reset Start Menu Most Used Apps In Windows 10: Hi, I have finally found a simple way to reset Start menu Most Used Apps in Windows 10. To reset it please follow these steps: Open Start menu > Launch Settings app >Privacy >General >Disable (Allow Windows to track app launches to improve Start and search results)>...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it? How can I backup my start menu after I finish...
  9. Start Menu resets on sign in

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu resets on sign in: Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the tiles get reset, and all Start Settings get reset too. Also, after some time, when I navigate to the Start Settings, all...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. A) Why is this happening? B) What can I do to stop it? C) How can I backup my start menu after...