Windows 10: Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ?

Discus and support Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is the Start Menu's list of Most Recent Programs hard-set at only 6? Or, can I alter this somewhere? Thanks 47637 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ltwally, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ltwally Win User

Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ?

Is the Start Menu's list of Most Recent Programs hard-set at only 6? Or, can I alter this somewhere? Thanks

:)

ltwally, Apr 17, 2016
  2. keishou Win User

Recent Program List??

Is there a registry edit or setting in the phone that will limit the number of programs listed in the "Recent Programs" section of the Start menu? Or even disable it completely? Thanks!

keishou, Apr 17, 2016
  3. Programs and recently saved docs in "most used" start menu

It would be awesome if they changed Windows 10 so it did what Windows 7 did in this regard. Weeks of use and those programs don't show up in most used. It was a foolish choice to have never used programs pop up there but not the ones that get used every
    day. Or at least give users the option of placing the programs they want there.

TaurySmith, Apr 17, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

It is fixed to the 6 most used apps. I've not found a way of increasing it.

philc43, Apr 17, 2016
  5. johnmsch Win User
    Where is this list of Most Recent Programs? Been looking for this since upgrading to W10 last week. Just can't believe its not on the Start Menu as in most previous versions of Windows.

johnmsch, Apr 23, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Hello johnmsch and welcome to the Forum.

You will find the setting in Personalisation and Start: make sure "Show most used apps" is ON:

Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ? [​IMG]

philc43, Apr 23, 2016
  7. johnmsch Win User
    Hi, and thanks for the quick reply, but I'm looking for Most Recent Programs, not Most Used.

In Windows 7, Vista and all the way back to at least XP, when you click on Start, there would be a list of your recently used programs. Although Most Used is nice, I really miss the recently used option. In fact, there is a LOT of blank space on the left side of the Start menu. At the top is a list of Most used, then a huge blank area going down to where Documents, File Explorer, etc start. I don't understand why there is all that wasted space. Should there be something there?

Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ? [​IMG]

johnmsch, Apr 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Odd.. not seen a blank space like that.. maybe try turning Suggestions off?

If you want a start menu that behaves properly, and includes recently used, I recommend Classic Shell.
    (Loads of options, expresses a folder-based start menu properly, with 'normal' manipulation features (whereas the LHS of the Win 10 start menu offers none directly) and you can even launch universal apps from it if you wish).

- you can still launch the Win 10 start menu.

dalchina, Apr 23, 2016
  9. johnmsch Win User
    What, if I may ask, occupies all that space on your system?

I had been looking at Classic Shell, but really wanted to give the native Windows 10 Start menu some time to grow on me. It did, but it grew into a fungus. *chuckle I finally gave up and moved to Classic Shell.

It never ceases to amaze me how Microsoft takes away so many things that people are used to and prefer. Unbelievable how they so severely limit the customizing of the native Start menu.

Thanks again.

johnmsch, Apr 25, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Yea! Another CS convert... some people here have incredible patience and suggest ways of manipulating the underlying folders for the start menu to try to get the Win 10 menu to represent sthg useful on the LHS. It's fundamentally badly conceived and makes you think about it, requiring more actions to get somewhere than it should, and that 'somewhere' may not even be there anyway.

- all that space?

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  11. johnmsch Win User
    In post number 6 above, you said "Odd.. not seen a blank space like that.." in reference to my post number 5 where I had the screenshot of all that wasted space on my W10 Start menu. I was just asking what occupies that space on your system if you switch back to the native Start menu, or what was there before you went to CS.

johnmsch, Apr 25, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    There is some space, but it's about the equivalent of 3 of the entries above it, maybe 3.5. Yours looks much bigger.

Just wondering if you shrunk the font size for example, if that would increase the apparent blank space?

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  13. philc43 Win User

I suspect it is more a case of the start menu has been enlarged by clicking and dragging on the menu border. It's a nice feature to be able to change the shape and you can then get rid of the dead space by making it less tall but widening it for seeing more of the tiles.

philc43, Apr 25, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Agree.. I can drag mine higher and the space expands. Just wondering how this looks on a big hi-res screen...

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
  15. johnmsch Win User
    No, haven't made any changes to font size or anything else. Perhaps its just the 1920 x 1080 resolution. Very glad I don't have to look at that any more!

Now if I can only get my HP printer to work... *Sad

johnmsch, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Start Menu - Set Number of Most Recent Programs ? - Similar Threads - Start Menu Set

2. Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...: When I installed Windows 11 with default US timezone and installing any new program, the program appears as recently added in start menu. But when I change to timezone Actually I have to change timezone since I live in a different country to my desired location and install...
  3. Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly installed programs are not shown as recently added programs in start menu after...: When I installed Windows 11 with default US timezone and installing any new program, the program appears as recently added in start menu. But when I change to timezone Actually I have to change timezone since I live in a different country to my desired location and install...
  4. View "recently used" apps/programs in start menu in Windows 10 ??

in Windows 10 Customization
    View "recently used" apps/programs in start menu in Windows 10 ??: Hi! How do you get "recently" used apps/programs i.e not most frequently used to show up in the Windows 10 start menu?? I really hoped that one can accomplish this by standard settings otherwise it's yet another reason to continue to use "Classic Shell" ... Current...
  5. Recent application in start menu

Recent application in start menu: The start menu use to show applications that you recently opened. Not sure when it happened, but they are no longer there. Is there a way to bring this back?...
  6. Start menu "recent items"

Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  7. Wasted space in Start menu under most used programs

Wasted space in Start menu under most used programs: The screenshot shows a few lines of space underneath "Get started" in the list of "most used" programs. I'd like this space to be utilised by increasing the list to, say, nine items. Is that possible? [img] 29438
  8. Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent Windows 10 Update Caused most of my Programs to Break/Not Start: I got a windows 10 update a couple days ago and ever since that day, I am unable to open most of my programs. Some programs that won't open include Microsoft Edge, Skype, Minecraft, League of Legends, etc. I can't even open the settings for my computer to try to reset my PC....
  9. Start menu and webpages are mostly black

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and webpages are mostly black: I just recently got a new hp laptop and have windows 10 installed onto a flash drive plugged into it due to a lack of hard drive space. For some reason every website i visit and all the menus through start are mostly black. [img] [img] 22624
  10. Start Menu Recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Recent files: On windows 7 it's convenient to have recent file at Start menu. How can I find this on windows 10? 11471