Windows 10: Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them

Discus and support Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's what happened: - 1. I installed a program called "Acoustica CD Label Maker" and a shortcut with the same name appeared in the "A" section of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveJB, Apr 28, 2016.

1. SteveJB Win User

Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them

Here's what happened: -

1. I installed a program called "Acoustica CD Label Maker" and a shortcut with the same name appeared in the "A" section of the start menu, as expected.

2. I renamed the shortcut to "CD Label Maker" and it moved to the "C" section, again, as expected.

3. I renamed the shortcut back to "Acoustica CD Label Maker", but it remains in the "C" section.

I've tried rebuilding the index via Indexing Options. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but the shortcut always appears under "C", even though its name begins with the letter A.

I've had this happen with a bunch of programs now. For instance, if I rename "Adobe Photoshop" to just "Photoshop", it remains in the "A" section of the start menu.

Any idea how I can fix this so that shortcuts appear under the correct letters? Thanks.

:)

SteveJB, Apr 28, 2016

2. Adding Icons to Folders In Start Menu (Windows 10)

So it appears I have found a solution after fiddling about with it.

Create shortcut for the sub-folder in Explorer, add an icon, pin to Start Menu, delete shortcut, right-click folder in Start Menu>'open file location', then 'rename' (to remove 'shortcut')

Edit*

Or an even easier way: Pin to Start Menu, locate folder in Start Menu, right-click>'open file location', right-click>'properties'

Ashley2379, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Can't choose folders to appear on Start Menu

I was able to restore the options by doing this:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places
      • Note: ProgramData is a hidden directory so, you may need to enable show hidden file from View settings
    • In Start Menu Places directory rename the Documents shortcut to Documents_
    • Next copy the Documents_ shortcut and paste
    • Rename the copy Documents_ shortcut to Documents
    • Delete the original Documents_ shortcut and your done
    • You now should be able to select each option to show up on the Start Menu
    Hope this works for you, as it did for me...

Mark_Stewart, Apr 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you might find manipulating shortcuts in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    will help

dalchina, Apr 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Start menu shortcuts appearing in wrong place after renaming them - Similar Threads - Start menu shortcuts

2. Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.: After I restarted my computer I noticed that the Windows Settings shortcut and Files shortcut weren't there. I recently uninstalled the Visual C++ thing but idk if that is what caused it....
  3. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  6. Start menu not appearing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu not appearing.: I changed out of Window S mode so that MS Office will work, but now Start menu will not appear when Start button is pushed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-appearing/9d72de98-ce1c-47da-af72-f50a54470740
  7. Windows files appearing in the wrong places.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows files appearing in the wrong places.: I have a set of files (I'm not 100% sure what they are, I'm just assuming they are Windows related.) that are appearing on my storage SSD. My windows is installed on my 970 pro M.2, but these files keep appearing on my 850 evo for some reason. The 850 was in a previous...
  8. Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving apps from start menu makes them appear smaller inside of their desktop shortcut icon: [ATTACH]The only way I have found to get certain apps to create desktop icons, without having to dig through file explorers to find the launch them, is to drag them from the start menu. This causes all of these app icons to appear smaller inside the regular sized icon. The...
  9. Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not appearing after update + Explorer not starting: I'm on Win 10 Pro-64 bits (10.0, Build 17134) A few months ago, my Explorer (i.e. desktop) stopped starting automatically when booting Windows. I tried all I could find on the Web to fix, but I gave up as nothing proposed worked. So when I log in, I manually start the Task...
  10. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...