Windows 10: Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues.

Discus and support Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, so for a few weeks now I've been experiencing issues with the start menu, notification button and being able to right click on programs in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ghost Prodigy, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues.

Hello, so for a few weeks now I've been experiencing issues with the start menu, notification button and being able to right click on programs in the taskbar. The issue randomly occurs and it prevents me from literally being able to open/use any of these. I've tried many solutions online such as putting commands in the powershell but none of those unfortunately worked. The only solution that slightly helped was creating a new profile, which for some reason had everything properly functioning on it. Regardless, I am still plagued with these issues and any help would be great!

Edit: Forgot to mention that all the windows preinstalled apps were non existent until I made a new profile. The photo app also doesn't work stating that the remote procedure failed when I try to look at a picture.

Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues. [​IMG]

:)

Ghost Prodigy, Mar 18, 2016

2. “Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

I've tried the "temporary solutions" of going to the safeboot and other tasks, and sometimes the start menu will work, usually, it won't. Cortana won't respond at all, and sometimes the "notification" menu will open (and if it does, then the Start menu will
    work) but Cortana is pretty much dead.

If these problems have been going on since July of last year, how can Microsoft NOT have created a patch or fix for this without a bunch of "try this thread" or "here are some possible helps"?

It's frustrating, and I'm starting to regret having upgraded. Even if it was for free. If I had paid for it, I'd be much more upset than I am now.

Stagewalker, Mar 18, 2016
  3. DanDodson Win User
    Start Menu won't open and other issues

That may be so about Cortana, but I haven't had time to use it before it broke. As for now its just an ad on TV that makes a broken piece of software sound nice.

DanDodson, Mar 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues.

Hello, it's a common problem. Similar questions have been asked many times on this forum, which you're free to search should you wish to seek a different approach. It's not one I've had, fortunately. I'll copy a standard answer - see if anything helps.

If your start menu fails to appear, try this:

http://www.urtech.ca/2015/05/solved-...-not-function/

But beware of option 4 - powershell command- as this has been broken and will break apps since last November' build (although there are now hints it may be ok again- I've not tried it).

Finally you have the option to do an In-place upgrade install repair.

For this you need an installation medium with the same build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Mar 19, 2016
  5. Ghost Prodigy, Mar 31, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the powershell commands used last year until build 10586 commonly break apps (the @ signs are absolutely typical of that). Note, I did warn you of that.
    Sad, but often experienced. Maybe MS will fix it one day.

The way to deal with all that is an in-place upgrade repair install as previously recommended.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues.

1. Start menu sometimes won't open along with other frustrating issues. - Similar Threads - Start menu sometimes

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  5. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  6. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Start menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  8. KB4023057 Update Start menu won't open and other issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4023057 Update Start menu won't open and other issues: KB4023057 was installed on my system last night and has caused issues with my start menu, start menu tiles appearing on the desktop, all shortcuts have disappeared from the desktop, windows are stuck in full screen mode, when minimized cannot always restore from the task bar...
  9. Start menu and other taskbar items won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and other taskbar items won't open: Hello, For some reason, my Start menu won't open, by both mouse or keyboard button. Other taskbar items (bottom right icons) aren't opening either, e.g. battery info, wifi menu, audio settings, calendar/clock, and messages. However, I can open the tray only. I tried...
  10. Start Menu opening issue along with corrupt files after SFC scan

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu opening issue along with corrupt files after SFC scan: As the title says, the start menu wasn't opening so I ran SFC /scannow that found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I then ran RestoreHealth but I got a message saying, "Source file cannot be found". I restart, Start Menu works again but still have corrupt...