Windows 10: Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch

Discus and support Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all - After about 15-20 minutes of use my computer starts acting strangely. The Start Menu, Task Manager, and Programs wont launch, nothing works.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BadElbow, Jul 30, 2016.

1. BadElbow Win User

Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch

Hey all - After about 15-20 minutes of use my computer starts acting strangely. The Start Menu, Task Manager, and Programs wont launch, nothing works. If I have something open (Game/Browser/Whatever) whatever is open continues to function just fine. The computer wont restart or shutdown after I click it to do so. I have run Avast and Walwarebytes with a clean bill of health and SFC /scannow which said it fixed an issue. Unfortunately upon restarting the problem still presists. I have run SFC /scannow again which returns no issues. I have also run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and no help. I thought maybe a drive was going bad but those all came back clean using the windows 10 build in error check. I'm running Win 10 64bit with Intel i7-2700k and 16 GN of RAM.

I'm at a loss of what to try next. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

BadElbow, Jul 30, 2016

2. Start menu and Cortana aren’t working?

One thing to keep in mind is that you can still start tasks (programs) by launching the task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL, click Task Manager, then click File, Run new task.

This works in spite of the modal message and inability to interact with the start menu.

Justin Ellis, Jul 30, 2016
  3. the right click context menu in the start button does not work after upgrade to version 1511

the right click context menu in the start button does not work after upgrade to version 1511

hi Guys as the question states my context menu that appears when you right click the start menu does not work.

what I mean is that it shows up but when you select any options like device manager, command prompt, disk management almost all of them wont work except for run.

I can launch these programs via other means but they just wont launch through this context menu.

Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch [​IMG]

Fred.Andre, Jul 30, 2016
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Hello mate have you tried a chkdsk?? Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I prefer Option 3 with the command prompt and I usually run the /f switch too.

Then you could try these
    SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
    Malwarebytes for Windows
    Download AdwCleaner
    ADWdownload from bleeping computer delete any rubbish found with themalware scans
    (NBIf one is running Kaspersky security it may rant about ADW - justignore it or disable Kaspersky while the ADW is being used)

ICIT2LOL, Jul 30, 2016
  5. BadElbow Win User
    ICIT2LOL - I tired that and everything came back fine. I did however, decide to leave the task manager open at all times so I could see if there was something amiss when the behavior took place. Turns out, every time this happened, as windows store game (alto's adventure) would randomly start running. I kill that task and, boom, everything back to normal. I know now the issue. Thank you for the help!

BadElbow, Aug 2, 2016
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Well done mate that was a good example of lateral thinking*Cool

ICIT2LOL, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Hmm. I have had what sounds like the same problem. Windows will eventually unlock in 15-30 minutes (if I can stand to wait), and programs I had tried to start will suddenly start. I had been running with Process Explorer but never saw anything unusual. I'll try task manager.

pokeefe0001, Aug 3, 2016
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Really sorry late reply mate but do try what the OP did first up ie sfc
    SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums< if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as perOption2
    Runthese in safe mode and the sfc often best run for two to three runs

ifno fix then these

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!
    Malwarebytes for Windows
    Download AdwCleaner
    ADWdownload from bleeping computer delete any rubbish found with themalware scans
    (NBIf you are running Kaspersky as the main AV then it might needdisabling it when trying ADW because it does not like it at times)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu, Task Manager, Programs wont launch - Similar Threads - Start Menu Task

2. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  3. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu will not launch: Hi,I need help. My start menu will not launch. I click on it and a wheel spins for a second then nothing, it fails to launch. I have also noticed that I can't open up a photo either. When I go to photos and double click on one to launch it it does not open. I need to launch...
  4. Start menu will not launch

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cannot launch device manager through start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot launch device manager through start menu: Attempting to launch device manager through the start menu yields an error box: ::{26ee0668-a00a-44d7-9371-beb064c98683}\0\::{74246BFC-4C96-11D0-ABEF-0020AF6B0B7... Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to...
  6. Win10 sometimes will not launch a program, only a process in task manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sometimes will not launch a program, only a process in task manager: Hey! I recently reformatted my PC and installed Windows 10. I've noticed that, for some reason, programs will not launch after an amount of time has passed, but this time it's not necessarily the case. Current example, I installed some mods for a HL2. I closed steam. I click...
  7. Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working: Hello, I got a new lenovo idea centre and it worked find the first day, then on the 2nd day the start menu wouldn't open, the task bar does not work and things like the control panel do not open! I keep getting the error C:\\windows\system32\ptionalfeatures.exe. This...
  8. Start menu buttons wont launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu buttons wont launch: So today my computer stopped running the apps in the start menu. I have reset a few times and nothing helped. Are my drivers out of date or is there a new update i need. Also the HP support assist says i have an update to need to install but when i install it nothing happens...
  9. Unwanted programs starting (no Task Manager)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unwanted programs starting (no Task Manager): Whenever I start Windows 10, early on in the boot cycle I get a Firefox Window. As the system continues to initialize the Firefox window slowly come to life, though sometimes not fully. I've checked all the obvious places, Task Manager, c;\users\user_name\AppData\Roaming...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...