Windows 10: Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

Discus and support Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A couple weeks ago my Windows 10 had a big update. When the computer restarted, my START menu icons (maybe they are called tiles) reverted to to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by profguy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. profguy Win User

Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

A couple weeks ago my Windows 10 had a big update. When the computer restarted, my START menu icons (maybe they are called tiles) reverted to to the browser icon. This happened to most tiles in my START menu, which opened a website.
    See the screen shot below. All of these Chrome icons, previously, were the icon of the website (eg. Facebook). I have worked with microsoft with no success. Backed out all updates and problem seems permanent.

Any ideas?

Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon [​IMG]

:)

profguy, Apr 29, 2016
  2. mattwill Win User

Start menu icons reverted to the browser icon

KB3154132

KB3147458

KB3140741

No change after doing as you suggest. The other account has the same problem. Yesterday, my icons were there. Now they are replaced by the browser icon.

mattwill, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Start menu icons reverted to the browser icon

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I realize this may be frustrating. Now that you have me with you, let me take care of this.

• What is the KB number of the update you have installed?
    To know the KB numbers of the failing updates, follow the below steps:

• In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click
      Windows Update.
    • In the left pane, click View update history.
    Let us try to create a new user account and check if the issue persist:

• Press Windows logo key +R, and type
      ms-settings:
      and then press OK. This opens Settings.
    • Select Accounts > Other users.
    • Under Other users, select Add someone else to this PC.
    • At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
    • At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    • Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, then select
      Next.
    • Select Finish.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Apr 29, 2016
  4. Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

hTconeM9user, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    Hello @profguy, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Chrome uses specific 'Visual Elements' to represent it's links throughout your system, and, for fairly good reason: so you are aware of which browser is opening which link, for example.

However, if you wish to show the site icon and your system accent color on tiles, you could do the following but, create a restore point before doing so, just to be safe:

Navigate to the location highlighted in red on the navigation bar, delete the chrome.VisualElementsManifest.xml file and the VisualElements folder inside the version folder:

then your tiles should retain the site icons and your system accent color:

(You can create individual icons manually but, this is much easier and faster!) *Wink

Edwin, Apr 30, 2016
  6. profguy Win User
    This works GREAT! You were able to easily do what the Microsoft techs could not.

But, I am curious. Instead of deleting the files, you suggest I can create my own icons. Could you elaborate? I might prefer that method.

profguy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon

1. Start menu tiles reverted to the browser icon - Similar Threads - Start menu tiles

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. How to change Start menu tile icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  4. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  5. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...
  6. Why is my browser start menu tile blue?

Why is my browser start menu tile blue?: For some reason the only blue tile on my start menu is FireFox. Is there a way to prevent this? Thank you! 69964
  7. Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu?

Manually edit tile icons in Start Menu?: Hello, I've been searching for a while but I couldn't find sufficient answers on how to do this. Is there a tutorial to manually make and set tile icons for 3rd party programs that fill up the tiles as a whole just like Store app icons, without using any editing...
  8. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Web site icons on start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Web site icons on start menu tiles: Is it possible to change the edge icon on the tile to one from a web site such as Google or Ccleaner etc. on a small tile. Some come that way automatically, but for others one has to hover the mouse over to see the text. [img] 30597