Windows 10: Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably

Discus and support Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Start menu looks like this right now: [img] I unpinned everything I don't want but now all my programs are showing. I don't remember it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably

My Start menu looks like this right now:

Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably [​IMG]

I unpinned everything I don't want but now all my programs are showing. I don't remember it being like this originally so I think it must be something I've done when trying different things out.

What I want is to get it down to just the 3 apps at the top and not see any programs unless I click on All Apps.

Is there any way to restore the Start menu to installation default so I can start over again or does anyone know what registry bit I fiddled to cause this?

:)

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015

2. Memory issue (self inflicted Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably :( )

Sytem was not seeing all memory after installing 8 G went into advanced boot options and accidently left max memory box checked with a value of zero. Now System is booting exremely slow and not completely. Can't get to boot safe or go back to a restore
    point. How can i fix the config value??

Larry_C_810, Aug 11, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Memory issue (self inflicted Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably :( )

Start your System, then just after the Manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button down for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Do this Twice

On the third boot attempt, Windows will boot into the Windows 10 Repair Environment, from there you can access Startup Recovery, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Go to Troubleshooting - Advanced Options - System Restore and see if you have a recent restore point, then try to restore your system to that point in time

If you do not have a restore point, try Troubleshooting - Advanced Options - Startup Settings and upon rebooting press 4 to enter safe mode, then undo the changes you made in msconfig

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

You can drag the Tile part to the left, don't think you can do anything with the left pane.

5. Ztruker Win User
    It's dragged as far to the left as it will go.

I finally said the heck with it an installed Stardock's Start10 30 day trial and will probably buy it when it is released tomorrow.

Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably [​IMG]

I can't use any of the apps anyway as I use a local account on this computer.

Ztruker, Aug 11, 2015
  6. I'm not sure you did anything to cause it *Wink
    I've had items show up in the MRU list that I never used.

The most recent used list is odd - isn't that what Start is for ?

Try right clicking the items that you do not want and select Remove from list

Slartybart, Aug 11, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    It is one of my pet peeves about the Start Menu, it's pretty useless and basically wasted space. I've got used to ignoring it now so it's 'virtually' not there.

Boozad, Aug 11, 2015
  8. OldAussie Win User

I find it easier to ignore Microsoft's start menu and use a shareware one. Personally I prefer Start Menu X (which shows everything all at once in columns in a huge list, where you can make custom groups) but Classic Shell is very popular for a more traditional type of menu.

I might give Stardock's Start10 a trial when it's well past beta and the first release. I'll be watching this forum for reviews by brave people who try this new product before me.

OldAussie, Aug 11, 2015
  9. Sorry, I mis-stated that - the Frequently used list is what Start is for, the MRU always bothered me since it was introduced (Win3.1?? Vista???). It kept putting things on the list that I used infrequently *Tongue

I set things up on Start (old or new), the Taskbar, and on more recent versions the Quick Access Toolbars and then turn off all of those helping features. I rarely go to Start, but I'm a simple man ... bells are for churches and whistles are for referees *Wink

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably - Similar Threads - Start Menu weirdness

2. Weird visual start menu glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird visual start menu glitch: My start menu sometimes got really annoying glitch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-visual-start-menu-glitch/fc9e7019-b41e-4229-9d0b-e27264a2308a
  3. Weird visual start menu glitch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird visual start menu glitch: My start menu sometimes got really annoying glitch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-visual-start-menu-glitch/fc9e7019-b41e-4229-9d0b-e27264a2308a
  4. Microsoft start menu weird glitch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft start menu weird glitch: Whenever I open anything Microsoft example start menu or Xbox app or the Microsoft store it just does this https://youtu.be/MNtuRoiILN0 pls help I just want to use the xbox app to talk to my friends but I cant pls pls help...
  5. explorer.exe crash/reload loop self-inflicted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    explorer.exe crash/reload loop self-inflicted: Hi, Some recent updates gave me a BSoD WDF Violation with amdsfhkmdf.sys being highlighted as the problem. I managed to fix that problem by renaming that file to amdsfhkmd.sys.old. The problem is, before I worked that out I tried to uninstall the recent updates. I had to...
  6. weird problems with start menu and settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    weird problems with start menu and settings: Its my first post in this subreddit so be kind. I do tech support, so for me this one is weird In the last couple of days my main win10 machine has problem with the start power icon having no effect(right clicking works) and if i go to settings i can't type anything into the...
  7. Start menu weird folder icons

Start menu weird folder icons: Hello, Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode. The Windows 10 is always a clean install, and I have seen the issue with both Microsoft and HP drivers. Here's an example on how the...
  8. Weird Windows 10 Start Menu change

Weird Windows 10 Start Menu change: Hi, I had a friend contact me to say that their start menu had changed. I had a look, and it had indeed changed. The start menu opened to the All Apps by default, but showed small icons on the left for power, documents and other start menu items. I can't find any options to...
  9. Start Menu. Possibly a self inflicted problem. It is to small.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu. Possibly a self inflicted problem. It is to small.: This issue is occurring on my old Acer laptop on which I clean installed the AU. The start menu was originally OK size wise, but then I went and deleted a bunch of the included tiles (netflix, food, all those) from the right hand side of the menu. The problem now is that I...
  10. Weird Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Start Menu: Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem. I have virtually no tiles...