Windows 10: Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?

Discus and support Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I haven’t done any Win updates since 4-28, and late last night I started to download Forza 6 beta from Ms store, but saw it was going to take forever,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HC1Gunner, May 9, 2016.

1. HC1Gunner Win User

Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ?

I haven’t done any Win updates since 4-28, and late last night I started to download Forza 6 beta from Ms store, but saw it was going to take forever, so I went to bed. Somewhere in the night it finished and installed on its own (didn’t like that). PC was running when I got up, (Windows almost always fails to put it to sleep), in the afternoon I used FF browser to add some files to Plex TV, all was well. A little I went to do something, and folder I had open had the blue boarder at the top flashing, then I tried to type in the search box of my browser, and noticed it doing the same thing.
    I then tried to pen windows start menu, but it wouldn’t do anything, nor would the Win key on my KB.
    Just did a restart, did nothing, no access to Windows start, and Explorer is even worse. Blue boarder flashing on and off, can't move, open folder anywhere, any new folder opens right on top of old folder. Time for a cold boot, and that don't work, into safe mode.
    Booted to Safe Mode, Windows Explorer issue gone, but when I opened the start menu it opened, but then froze, and up popped Ms error box saying “application not responding, option to End the Process”. Ending the process closed the frozen start menu. I also notice Cortana (have no use for it) would not run either.
    I can get settings/control panel to open via backdoor, access anything in it, but when Win Updates is accessed, it immediately closes.
    New user account fixed the flashing on and off with apps, but windows start still won't open.
    From Admin command prompt ran “sfc /scannow”, and of course it came back with the usual Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them.
    Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, didn’t work, also ran “Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows”, but it didn’t work either.
    If anyone has any other ideas, please come forth. I do have an Acronis BU image, but I rather not use it if I don’t have to, especially since Ms, buried the install files for the 18GB Forza beta somewhere I can’t seem to locate, and I will lose the files, and its install.

Tried to run repair from Win disc, did not work, and using a restore point did not work either.
    None of the default windows apps will run. I ran command to reinstall apps, but no change.

:)

HC1Gunner, May 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 Explorer / WIN+X

Hi all,

after the upgrade to Windows 10, I can't start the Windows Explorer with the icon at the bottom. In addition using the WIN+X command, i's impossible to start any application except the Execute option (no TaskManager, no Explorer, no System settings, etc.)

Working with WIN+E opens the Explorer, so the app itself is working but cannot be started from the WIN+X menu...

Any hints?

Best regards,

Michael

MichaelMetzner, May 9, 2016
  3. After I push the start button where is the computer button in pop up menu

I'll take a wild guess that you are thinking of W7 with its My Computer button in its Start menu and then opening Windows Explorer at that point (if not in another menu itself). In W10 that's gone. You need to know that File Explorer (Windows Explorer's
    new name) can be started either from the Start Menu, the Taskbar (e.g. if pinned there) or by pressing Win-E (same as ever).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, May 9, 2016
  4. HC1Gunner Win User

Jeepers can't you read, Cortana least of my worries

HC1Gunner, May 9, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, May 9, 2016
  6. HC1Gunner Win User
    this is already a clean install, not an upgrade to 10, install only 2 months old.

HC1Gunner, May 9, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Things can easily go wrong in that time for all manner of reasons. 2 months can seem a long time when things go wrong with Win 10.

Your easiest route would be to use your TI image, if you're sure that your PC was running ok when you created the image.

If your PC will run well enough then install Everything by Void Tools which does a fast index of your drives and will help you locate your download. Should be easy to find too as you know how big it is and the date downloaded. Else use a boot disk (see the one here at the top of 'Software and Apps').

So if your only constraint on using your image is the download, do that.

If restoring your image works, then I'd do some routine checks as well, thinking 'what led to things going wrong'.
    chkdsk, SFC /scannow.

I may have missed something in your long description.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu - Win Explorer ? ? ? - Similar Threads - Start Menu Explorer

2. win 8.1 start menu in win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 8.1 start menu in win 10: hello, i wants a win 8.1 start menu in win 10 but i don't find any way to do thad thad wark on my pc i can't eneable tabled mode does someone have any progam or anything to do thad 175902
  3. how to see start menu in explorer

how to see start menu in explorer: I don't like the windows 10 tiles. how do i make the menu appear just like windows 7? PLUS, somehow I can't see APPDATA under my user name but I see it under others....
  4. Win 10 Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Start Menu icons: Where can i find the path of the file explorer icon that is displayed in the windows start menu? I already extracted every icon possible with programs like iconsext but had no luck. This is the only one i couldn't find, at least that i am aware of. I hope someone can...
  5. Reloaded win 10, no start menu

Reloaded win 10, no start menu: When I click on start menu I get at brief spinning circle but nothing happens. It will Rt click and offer the settings menu but can’t access any applications except by searching with File Explorer....
  6. Win 10 start menu

Win 10 start menu: I go to the start menu to shutdown, I click on the window icon the normal options appear, but before I can click on anything the start menu closes. trying this repeated gives the same issue. To shutdown I have to right click the start icon and go from there. How do I solve...
  7. Start menu file explorer error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu file explorer error: when accessing file explorer through the start menu only, I get this error: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. going to the path stated and launching the program...
  8. Changes to Win 10 start menu

Changes to Win 10 start menu: Several months ago, I experienced a change in my start menu. I am not sure how it happened. I used to have the standard start menu when I depressed the Windows button on the keyboard. This included all my Apps down the left side of the page. Suddenly, those Apps...
  9. Windows explorer and start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows explorer and start menu: I've installed office 2016 on my desktop, and the icons on the start menu are just blank icons. They have the background colors for each app, but the actual program icon is not there. i've already tried reinstalling the entire suite, running a number of programs, etc. but...
  10. Resetting Win 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting Win 10 Start Menu: Is it possible to reset the win 10 start menu to the day I installed win 10? I'm having all kind of little issues with it now that I didn't before and I'd like to reset. I know there was a method to do this in the preview builds but that doesn't seem to work anymore. 24319