Windows 10: Start menu with full labels

Discus and support Start menu with full labels in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys, How do I re-enable the labels in Start Menu? I want to be easier for me to acces the 'Power' Button, but with the new interface, it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snukye, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Snukye Win User

Start menu with full labels

Hello guys,

How do I re-enable the labels in Start Menu? I want to be easier for me to acces the 'Power' Button, but with the new interface, it is annyoing (not to talk about that cascade of shortcuts I do not need :|)

I need it to be so by default, I do not want everytime to click on that 3-bars button on top.

:)

Snukye, Aug 5, 2016
  2. CalAdamT Win User

Windows 10: Start menu text missing

Start menu with full labels [​IMG]

As you can can see when opening the start menu sometimes the text labels are missing.

Sometime hovering over the label will make the label appear.

Any thoughts?

Original Title: Start menu text missing

CalAdamT, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Unable to find desktop apps after the update on Windows 10

I am not quite sure what you mean but a couple of things you could try to get it looking how you had it.

where you using tablet mode?

open the action centre, there is a button labelled 'Tablet Mode' click it and check if that has got you back to what you wanted.

if not go back to the action centre and click it again to turn it off.

Were you using full screen start menu?

open settings -> personalisation -> Start there is a slide button to turn on Full screen Start Menu

see if that is what you had.

if not go back into settings and turn it off.

then try wording the issue slightly differently to see if we can better understand the problem.

Martmcd, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

The Power Button is right above the start button on my system. If I left click on the start button then there is the power button right there.

How do you want yours to work?

Rocky, Aug 5, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    The power button should be bottom left on the start menu. A circle with a short vertical line.

You also get to see one one if you press CTRL ALT DEL, for example.

Sorry, which labels aren't you seeing?

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    OP would like to see:

right away, as opposed to:

There are a number of alternatives:

- pin a shutdown shortcut to the taskbar,
    - invoke a shutdown dialog,
    - right click the Start Menu and choose 'Shutdown or Sign out' from the WinX Menu

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  7. Snukye Win User
    That's what I meant to say.
    Before update there where the labels. Now they are gone. How do I get them back?

Snukye, Aug 5, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

I don't think you can get that 'reveal' to open expanded by default! *Sad

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ok, you don't want a list of programs, you want a labelled power button... so I think you're in the market for a replacement start menu.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  11. scriptrix Win User
    I'd rather have a glitchy webcam (which I don't, just implemented update this morning) than lose my start menu icon labels. Royally peeved that I have to decipher win10 hieroglyphs. I have better things to memorize, Microsoft. Guess all I can do is wait for enough people to bitch and moan in a way that devs will actually notice and maybe we'll get some customization options in this regard.

scriptrix, Aug 21, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Everything's fully labelled in Classic Shell (free) start menu... as an example... so you don't have to wait.

Have a look at Start10, Startisback ..... or search for more. (I don't use these, only mention them).

If you mouse over the standard symbol for power, you get a tooltip - Power.

Then you'll find MS adopts the same idea of symbols in Cortana (Documents, Videos, Photos etc)- and you can have those same symbols down the left side of your start menu.. so there are more you can glare at.... *Wink

Just don't wait for MS - personalise your PC.

dalchina, Aug 21, 2016
  13. scriptrix Win User

❤ ❤ ❤
    thank you

scriptrix, Aug 21, 2016
  14. Edwin New Member
    Can't remember where I got this from but, here's a shortcut from Windows 8 I had kickin around; it just happens to open the Windows 10 Start Menu Quick List in full labelled mode.

Edwin, Jul 2, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member
    K, found it!!!

Download the Apps_8.1_Shortcut.zip here:

Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

extract it and pin a copy to your Taskbar!

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu with full labels - Similar Threads - Start menu full

2. Windows Security wrong label description in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Security wrong label description in start menu: [ATTACH] Hi: I just recently had a fresh install of win 10. There is an icon with long description and I realized it's Windows Security. Does anyone have a clue why it displayed in such way instead of "Windows Secuirty" which is supposed to be, thanks....
  3. icons only in start menu and no labels

icons only in start menu and no labels: How do I restore the text labels to the icons in the start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-only-in-start-menu-and-no-labels/76a9a283-7215-4c51-bfb3-bf469fc88410
  4. Start Menu full screen

Start Menu full screen: Hello Community, Recently i buy Microsoft surface i dont know how start menu become full screen even i off from start menu setting how to off full screen start menu kindly see the screen short. [IMG] Kind regards,...
  5. Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode

Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode: I have three different Acer computers all running the latest release of Windows 10 home. All have processed the latest October 8th release updates to 1903. One user account on one computer is "stuck" in full screen mode. The same user account on the other two are "normal."...
  6. This PC icon label incorrect on start menu

This PC icon label incorrect on start menu: Hello everyone, Windows 10 Pro has just performed a 'feature update' to version 1809. I have managed to sort through most of the problems over the past 3 hours but I'm stuck on one where the This PC icon on the start menu has changed to computer (1). Only the icon shows the...
  7. Start Menu Full Screen not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start Menu Full Screen not working: Hi, I have been trying to switch my start up window to my start menu. However, whenever I enable the option "Full screen," in (settings=>personalization=>Start), there are no changes whatsoever taking place. I have tried restarting the PC to no avail. I am kindly requesting...
  8. Start Menu Full Text Labels instead of Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Full Text Labels instead of Icons: Hi, I just installed Windows 10 and have been watching some youtube videos and tutorials about it. During some of the videos I noticed the start menu was different to mine. So I was wondering how do I enable full texted labels instead of just the icons when I click the start...
  9. problem with full screen start menu

problem with full screen start menu: when I set the start menu to display in full screen it becomes finicky. It sometimes won't open at all. If I go back and change one item it will start working again. It seems like it does not matter which item I chg. If I chg it back it will keep working for a while. any...
  10. Full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Full screen start menu: Ah ha I found you at last. Reason being, I rather liked that aspect of windows 8-8.1 so I was glad to find the option for it again under personalise and start menu options. Some of you may want that back! who knows but it's in there. 13551