Windows 10: Start Menu

Discus and support Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After installing some new program, which is a replacement of an older program, I 'pinned' the new shortcut to 'Start', but cannot 'unpin' the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Start Menu

Hello,
    After installing some new program, which is a replacement of an older program, I 'pinned' the new shortcut to 'Start', but cannot 'unpin' the old shortcut. Clicking on it doen nothing, and 'unpin from start' does not either, it just wont go.
    Tried to restart - it is just there. The folder of the old program was deleted.
    Need some help.
    Thanks

:)

Motim, Jan 1, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Jan 1, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 1, 2017
  4. Start Menu

Look through these two folders and find your old shortcut:
    C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    When you find the shortcut copy it to your desktop and delete it from the folder. If all goes well delete the old shortcut from the desktop; if there's a problem copy it back where it came from.

Alan Russell, Jan 1, 2017
  5. Motim Win User
    Hello and thanks,
    Found the shortcut as above, but this shortcut is the real one for the new program (and not on the desktop it is in "Start"), and it did not remove (unpin) from "Start".
    Will search more.
    Thanks

Motim, Jan 1, 2017
  6. Have you restarted since you installed the new version?

Alan Russell, Jan 1, 2017
  7. Motim Win User
    Hello & thanks.
    Yes, several restarts. The "unpin' from "start" works on any other thumbnail, but only the one which has no program behind.

Motim, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Motim Win User

Start Menu

Hello,
    Following my previous posts about "cannot unpin from Start" (a dead shortcut), here is something that may be will give you some ideas how to solve the problem:
    While trying a new program, I first set "Timefreeze" to "on" tested the program (EasyCleaner version 2.0 by Toni Helenius, ToniArts. 100% Freeware), then by the way I clicked on "Start" and that dead shortcut was gone. I did nothing with the program in test.
    Then restarted the machine to remove this program, checked the "Start", and the dead shortcut was again there, tried again to 'unpin' it - no results. Right clicking on this 'block' opens 2 options, unpin (not working) and resize (working).
    I do not remember if I sent yoy a screenshot, so I'll attach it here.

Start Menu [​IMG]

Answers wiil be appreciated.
    Thanks

Motim, Jan 4, 2017
  9. Winuser Win User
    Could you try reinstalling the old program and unpinning the icon before uninstalling the program.

Winuser, Jan 4, 2017
  10. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer.
    That program was a portable one, never installed, just unziped into a folder and sent the shortcut to "Start". Recently installed some other program and tried to unpin this from "Start", well, it refused to go away. The unziped folder was copied back where it was the first place, same results. What I wonder, why it was gone when "Timefreeze" was "on".
    Thanks again.

Motim, Jan 4, 2017
  11. Winuser Win User
    Winuser, Jan 5, 2017
  12. Motim Win User
    Hello and Thanks for the answer.
    I was reading everywhere, nothing brought any solution, than I looked into the .....\Application Shortcuts folder, and guess what : the folder is empty.
    I have a macrium image dated 9 Dec 2016 and Differential dated 28 Dec 2016, I do not want to use this option, but I'm afraid I'll have to.
    System is working fine (cross fingers), only will have to reinstall updated programs.
    Or, shell I leave it as is ?
    Thanks for answers

Motim, Jan 5, 2017
  13. Start Menu

Install the updated programs one at a time, and test. You should be able to determine which is causing the problems.

Alan Russell, Jan 5, 2017
  14. Before trying that, you can try those 3 in this order. You can stop, when it is fixed.

CCleaner (run reg cleaner as well)
    Wise Disk Cleaner
    Wise Registry Cleaner

TairikuOkami, Jan 5, 2017
  15. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer, but before starting cleaning, I want to be prepared for the moment I'll have to use Macrium to recover the system. My Macriun program was recently updated (there are not new updates yet). After the update I have done a new rescue cd. Reading carefully Macrium manual, I have learned it is possible to recover the system without the recovery cd, if there is a recovery boot menu added.
    So here is my question (also for any other member who can help):
    1. Can I use the option to add a recovery boot menu now, I think the windowsPE is on the cd.
    Attached down here the list of files in the Reflect folder.
    2. If I add a recovery boot menu, what happens when starting the machine normaly, is there something
    to change / modify in the normal boot sequence.
    Right now the boot sequnce is first from the optical drive then second from the system disk.
    Waiting for some detailed answers please.
    Thanks

Start Menu [​IMG]

Motim, Jan 6, 2017
Thema:

Start Menu

1. Start Menu - Similar Threads - Start Menu

2. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  3. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  4. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  5. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  6. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  8. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  9. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

10. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...