Windows 10: start menu

Discus and support start menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I get a message: "Critical Error -- Start menu isn't working" when I left click, and then Windows 10 will not respond. If I right click, all works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mdpoole, Aug 24, 2015.

1. mdpoole Win User

start menu

I get a message: "Critical Error -- Start menu isn't working" when I left click, and then Windows 10 will not respond. If I right click, all works well, but it would be nice to access the start menu. I've restarted several times with o change. Help?

:)

mdpoole, Aug 24, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Aug 24, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

start menu

Try doing an upgrade install of Windows 10 over itself. Get the ISO from the Media Creation Tool for the exact same version of Windows 10 you are running now, mount the ISO, run setup.exe from it from inside Windows 10. Should not ask for a product key.

Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2015
  5. mmpostema Win User
    mdpoole - did you try this? did it work?

mmpostema, Sep 17, 2015
  6. mmpostema Win User
    Do you know what build you have? Did you have to reinstall any programs?

This error just popped up on Monday, Sept 14. I have build 10240.

mmpostema, Sep 17, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It will be build 10240 and it is an in place upgrade to itself so you should not lose any programs or data.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  8. mmpostema Win User

start menu

Ok, I'll have to try this.

Navylcdr - do you have any idea if this glitch affects local accounts or just MS Accts? And, why would it corrupt 1 acct & not another?

mmpostema, Sep 17, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    No answer to any of those questions. Just proposed a possible solution that seems to solve quite a few problems, has very little chance of making anything worse and it happened to work.

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  10. mmpostema Win User
    Thanks for the reply! I'm just very curious as to why it all of a sudden popped up. And, what to do to avoid it (if possible).

mmpostema, Sep 17, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Hmmm interesting idea NavyLCDR when a person "mounts" the windows ISO file, does the file have to be on the primary drive, OR can you mount it from your 2nd drive?? Never used the mount option before?? Never even knew about it till I read about it on here from another user. *Smile

OldMike65, Sep 17, 2015
  12. acmanten Win User
    Thanks, and your replies to users questions are very easy to follow....

acmanten, Sep 17, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

start menu

You can mount it from wherever it is stored. I can mount the ISOs stored on my networked attached storage, removable hard drives, flash drives, sd cards.

To unmount the ISO file, right click on the drive letter it creates under this PC and select eject start menu :)

NavyLCDR, Sep 17, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Oh my, I've got to play with this option.....very cooool *Biggrin

OldMike65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

start menu

1. start menu - Similar Threads - start menu

2. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  3. C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS...: C:\PROGRAM DATA\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\START MENU \PROGRAMS\BOOKING.COM.LINK IDENTIFIED AS SECURITY RISK BY ANTIVIRUS After quarantine, download and restart attempt, computer unable to start. Had to get HP tech. Follwed directions to get PC back on line, Had to delete Windows and...
  4. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  5. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows: as said in title.I do NOT want the make a bat file shortcut and pin that.I do NOT want to hear about adding it to the Start-UP folder.I need the line of code to ad to the RegEdit to allow for .Bat files to be pinned/dragged and drop directly to my start menu. I know it is...
  6. Pin a bat file DIRECTLY to start menu drop down windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  8. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10: I have always been able to pin my choice of most used files to tiles e.g. workbooks to the Excel tile on the Start menu and documents to the Word tile on the Start menu. This stopped working and now the tiles show only my most recently opened files in the tile list and whilst...
  9. Cannot pin files to a Start menu tile in Windows 10

10. cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open my settings and unable use start menu properly cant even search on it: after a recent update I am unable to open my settings search from the start menu, my battery icon shows a grey cross, and many more [problems pls someone help...