Windows 10: Start - Recent Files problem

Discus and support Start - Recent Files problem in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I use start>files explorer>recent files and I double-click a file, my laptop will open the appropriate program immediately but the chosen file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tony Vella, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Start - Recent Files problem

When I use start>files explorer>recent files and I double-click a file, my laptop will open the appropriate program immediately but the chosen file does not load. For example: I have an Excel file called birthdays.xls. When I go Start>Explorer>Recent files and double-click birthdays.xls, Excel opens immediately but the file does not load. As a matter of fact I do not even get a blank spreadsheet, just a gray background. The same happens with .doc files too. Any ideas?

Start - Recent Files problem [​IMG]

:)

Tony Vella, Sep 6, 2017
  2. 99xj Win User

Start Menu tab is missing from Taskbar and Start Menu Properties Dialog Box

I have the same problem, no Start Menu tab inside the
    Taskbar and Start Menu Properties (right click taskbar-properties) I need to Clear Recent Files in the File Explorer.

99xj, Sep 6, 2017
  3. After Win Update Pinned Excel Files Point to Bogus Location, Can't Run, Modify or Delete Them

Same here. Anniversary update made pinned and recent documents disappear from my Office 2007 excel taskbar icon, and when I access recent documents from the start menu or from excel, I get complaints about nonexistent files (the "bogus location"). Clearing
    the recent files lists in AppData didn't cure the problem.

For now I am trying to live without pin/recent files functionality.

AnniusGroenink, Sep 6, 2017
  4. Start - Recent Files problem

Hi Tony.

What version of Office are you running?

See under "File" (left most on top) if you have Options. Open this. I would check if you have something like Trust Center and inside that, Trust Center Setting and finally File Block Settings. I have 2013 and when I went to open a .ppt I got nothing. The blocking seem to be turned on with a security update because I didn't do it.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 7, 2017
  5. Hello Ken, thank you for your assistance.

I have MS Office Professional 2003. Being such an old program, when I installed it on my new Win10 laptop I assumed it would never work under Win10 so I took a chance and installed and ran it in compatibility mode under Win XP/2. Yesterday, your reply gave me an idea and I removed the compat.. mode and ran it directly under Win10 and would you believe that all the problems are gone; it is now working perfectly.

The same applies to my MS OneNote 2010 which I also assumed would require an older version of Windows. I was having problems with that program also because I was running it under Vista/2. Problems galore, notes disappearing, formatting changing from day to day, etc. So I removed the compat.. mode and am now running it directly under Win10. Works like a charm. Go figure! One program is 14 years old and the other 7 years old and now both working perfectly under Win10.

I guess the old adage about assuming holds some truth.

Thanks again. Tony V.

Tony Vella, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Excellent. That said 2003 is not supported and 2007 heads that direction this October. That is not to say it won't work but security fixes will not be developed nor will they action program issues. The time is approaching to renew. With the new version out this fall you may experience new issues.

Office 365 is not a bad deal if you have three or more machines and want to stay current.

There is also Libre Office, which is free, and can do just about anything. Some people adapt, others say no way.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start - Recent Files problem

1. Start - Recent Files problem - Similar Threads - Start Recent Files

2. Not "recent" files under recent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not "recent" files under recent: Hi, When I open my file folder there are multiple documents that were created years ago, have not been accessed or altered since but are showing up in "recent" with todays date in one drive. Any idea why? Thank you...
  3. Not "recent" files under recent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not "recent" files under recent: Hi, When I open my file folder there are multiple documents that were created years ago, have not been accessed or altered since but are showing up in "recent" with todays date in one drive. Any idea why? Thank you...
  4. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently: Our family uses that service for a long time, but few days ago there some issues started to bother us - adults are unable to give time on mobile app iOS, macOS app and Windows 10, only web site allows us to approve requests.Tried to re-login, reinstall app and so on.No issues...
  5. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently: Our family uses that service for a long time, but few days ago there some issues started to bother us - adults are unable to give time on mobile app iOS, macOS app and Windows 10, only web site allows us to approve requests.Tried to re-login, reinstall app and so on.No issues...
  6. Problems with Family Safety started to happen recently

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  7. Recent Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Files: I've been forced to Windows 10 finally and so far, there is not one single improvement for me. One of my absolute favorite items I used countless times per day was Recent Files. I've searched on how to access something like that considering it has been removed for some...
  8. cannot turn off recent files in start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot turn off recent files in start: Hi, I wanted to turn of the recent files in the Start menu (e.g. when writing the name of an app, the recently opened files appear; since this last win10 update, when you click the arrow on the right of the app's name). 1) So I turned off jump lists (in Start > Settings >...
  9. Recent/frequent files in start bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent/frequent files in start bar: When I reght-click the buttons in my start bar (either the smaller ones which I have pinned to the taskbar or the larger ones relative to currently active programs) I get large submenus listing my frquent and recent files opened with that app. I do not wish this to happen...
  10. Start Menu Recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Recent files: On windows 7 it's convenient to have recent file at Start menu. How can I find this on windows 10? 11471