Windows 10: start screen change after update to 1709

Discus and support start screen change after update to 1709 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings I had to go back to December 1 due to a problem I could not resolve, losing 1709 back to 1703. Now I updated again to 1709 with few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by zivshosh, Dec 17, 2017.

1. zivshosh Win User

start screen change after update to 1709

Greetings
    I had to go back to December 1 due to a problem I could not resolve, losing 1709 back to 1703.
    Now I updated again to 1709 with few problems:
    1) my start screen is not the picture it used to be butt a screen with time & date. I have to click on the screen to get my usual picture screen. How do I get rid of the first screen?
    2) I could not delete windows.old even after "taking ownership" and using C: disk cleanup + system cleanup.
    After my previous update I could without any problem delete windows.old. Can anything be done about it, or I have to give it a day or two and retry? In addition to that C: added 10GB and I couldn't find from where since Users looks as it was.
    3) Can I survive without OneDrive, Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall? (I already neutralized them)
    thank you

:)

zivshosh, Dec 17, 2017

2. computer function probelam after updating windows

After updating the windows version 1709, having problem with turning on the computer and screen remains white. after couples of times restarting computer starts and the screen blinks most of the time which didn't have before updating the windows.

NahidTamanna, Dec 17, 2017
  3. laptop will not boot after installed window 10 version 1709

I have a similar or the same problem, but I can start Windows after waiting abount half an hour:

After installing Full Creators update 1709 in Windows 10 in the laptop HP EliteBook 8540w, the logon screen appears without the text box where to enter the password. Only after about half an hour appears this text box and Windows 10 can be started. I have
    returned to the previous update and installed again the 1709 update, but the problem appears again.

[Moreover this update marks the checkbox labeled "turn on fast startup" (in: Power Options, choose what the power button does, change settings that are currently unavailable), which prevents Windows 10 to shut down.]

Thanks for any help you can give.

PereCasanellas, Dec 17, 2017
  4. zivshosh Win User

one problem solved: windows.old was deleted by checking "previous windows" in C; system cleanup
    C: regained it's previous volume.
    In personalize --> lock screen I set get fun facts etc to off and changed app to sgow detailed status to "none"
    but I still get time & date blue screen before picture screen.
    please help
    thank you

zivshosh, Dec 17, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    OneDrive certainly isn't required if you don't use it.

You also don't need a software firewall either assuming you use some sort of home router to connect to the internet (which you do or you wouldn't ask).

Defender though you'd be best off replacing with some other AV if you get rid of it. Otherwise you'll get infected almost immediately with some decade old malware. Perhaps from plugging in someone's USB key (or using the internet) but you will. Something that frankly any AV would have stopped. Try Avast (or something else) if you don't like defender and smartscreen for some reason.

6. zivshosh Win User
    Thank you lx07 for your quick answer
    Indeed I trust my router but I don't believe it (or any other firewall program) provides a perfect shield.
    But I'm on internet since '94 and nothing serious happened
    As for the defender I prefer Kaspersky
    I don't have any problem to pay yearly for an AV since I believe it is part of the OS (as the defender is trying to be)

zivshosh, Dec 17, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    That is fine too - I use Defender . I only meant having no AV at all might be risky. I'm not saying Avast is better - I don't know. If one product was clearly superior everyone would use it *Smile

8. Bree New Member

It's not really called the 'start screen'. Your first screen with the date/time is called the Lock Screen. Click on it to clear it and you get to what you call 'my usual picture screen' and Microsoft call the Sign in Screen.

If you want to go straight to the sign in screen at boot, one way is to set windows to automatically sign you in at start. If you set this up, but do not give the correct password it will stop at the sign in screen until you type your password. If you set it up with your password as well you'll go straight to your desktop at start up.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

9. zivshosh Win User
    Thank you Bree for your quick answer.
    When I click on the solid color lock screen I get a demand for password on the same screen (and I like my entrance to be non-automatic)
    I set personalize --> lock screen to present a picture, set cortana etc to off and set application to show detailed status to none.
    What am I doing wrong?
    thank you

zivshosh, Dec 18, 2017
  10. zivshosh Win User
    Greetings
    After I updated to 1709 I have one problem:
    My start screen is not the picture it used to be but solid color a screen with time & date. A click on the screen yields the sign in screen, again on solid color and not a picture
    here are parts of personalize window:

start screen change after update to 1709 [​IMG]

start screen change after update to 1709 [​IMG]

what am I doing wrong?
    thank you

zivshosh, Dec 20, 2017
  11. AddRAM Win User
    You`ll have to re customize it, Yippee *Sad Isn`t W10 fun *Smile

AddRAM, Dec 20, 2017
  12. zivshosh Win User
    Sorry AddRAM but I did not quite understand what do you mean be re-customize
    if you mean change an option in Personalize--> Lock Screen and change it back - I've done it few times in numerous options
    restarted and nothing
    and yes! win10 is fun!
    thank you

zivshosh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. start screen change after update to 1709 - Similar Threads - start screen change

2. Windows update failing after 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update failing after 1709: Hi I have a rather aged samsung RF510 which has been updated to Windows 10 when that became available. However, since the updates of 1709 no other release update has succeeded in being installed. !709 updates sometimes work. Any that go through the routine of downloading...
  3. Black screen after home screen, problem started after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after home screen, problem started after update: The problem is in my HP Laptop (Windows 10) It’s basically what the title says, at first my background image showed up after home screen, it would go black for a second whenever I clicked, now it doesn’t show up, It is veeeeeeeery slow, I though that the task manager never...
  4. Freezing after update 1803 and 1709

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing after update 1803 and 1709: Hi Microsoft Guys, After i updated my Windows 10 to 1709 or 1803 it keeps lagging and freezing the whole system on startup and keeps freezing my software after 30 mins of just leaving to unfreeze. My Laptop is Acer Aspire v 14 touch, Product I.D is V3-472P-324J, intel...
  5. windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 update 1709 black screen with mouse after login: hp pavillion laptop updated to the latest build 1709 resulted in the screen being black with mouse after login. I have returned to previous build, updated the graphics driver (although the intel graphics driver is still from 2015) and am now in the process of reinstalling...
  6. Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps missing from start menu and taskbar after update to build 1709: I have recently updated my Fujitsu Lifebook A555 to the fall creator's update. While the upgrade itself was seemingly not problematic, many of my installed apps have gone missing on the start menu and the taskbar. I have searched for them using the Cortana button, to no...
  7. Monitor black/blank after 1709 update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor black/blank after 1709 update: I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are plugged into my GPU NVidia...
  8. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  9. sfc /scannow error after 1709 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow error after 1709 update: After 1709 update yesterday, I did %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase Then I did sfc /scannow. I got the following error. Windows Resource Protection found...
  10. after 1709 this error: "RtcPalVideoEtwSession" failed to start

in Windows 10 Support
    after 1709 this error: "RtcPalVideoEtwSession" failed to start: Hello, After the upgrade I am consistently getting this error: "RtcPalVideoEtwSession" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 Do know it is related to Skype for Business and several posts -- mostly in Microsoft Forums-- suggest uninstalling. But...