Windows 10: Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them

Discus and support Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have 'Start' full screen. When I open programs from here, they open on the desktop and the Start screen disappears. That's how I expect it!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markweatherill, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them

Hi,

I have 'Start' full screen. When I open programs from here, they open on the desktop and the Start screen disappears. That's how I expect it!

I noticed that if I create a web shortcut on 'Start', it behaves differently. When I open it from the Start screen, it opens and I can see it on the taskbar, but I'm still looking at the Start screen; it doesn't disappear.

If I have the Start screen up, and I click on anything in Quick Launch, it's the same. They open, but focus doesn't switch to them, the Start screen stays there.

If I have 'Start' not full screen, and I open that web shortcut, I see it open behind the Start menu, but the menu stays there.

What I would like is to have everything behave the same. When I open anything from 'Start', I want focus to switch to the item I just opened and 'Start' to disappear. Is there a setting I've overlooked? Is this the same for everyone??

:)

markweatherill, Oct 10, 2015
  2. MarcHawww Win User

people hub live tiles

I am having a very similar issue. My People Hub group that is pinned to my start screen has no problem updating the live tile, but when i open the group, the "what's new" section doesn't show the items that were flashed on the live tile. It always shows
    that it's "looking for news," but doesn't add anything for sometime days at a time.

This is occuring on my brand new HTC M8 and i'm not sure how to fix it.

MarcHawww, Oct 10, 2015
  3. Magnifier Options are not there!

Hi Trigan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

The magnifier is located down in the taskbar you can always get them to the screen from there.

Can I ask why you actually want to use the magnifier? I mean for what purpose?

You cannot uninstall the magnifier, it’s a built in feature of Windows.

Ctrl + Alt + F switch to full screen mode and Ctrl + Alt + D switch to docked mode.

Use Magnifier to see items on the screen

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/use-magnifier-see-items

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Oct 10, 2015
  4. Dave77 Win User

Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them

That's exactly the same problem I have been trying to solve for the last week.
    Program shortcuts perform as expected when in Tablet Mode (i.e. program opens and start screen disappears),
    however web shortcut opens behind the Start Menu, so in tablet mode it looks like nothing happens when clicking the shortcut.
    I hope someone can come up with a fix for this.
    P.S. I have 3 Windows 10 computers and they all have the same problem

Dave77, Oct 13, 2015
  5. Dave77 Win User
    Well it seems if it is a URL shortcut then for some reason it opens behind the start menu.
    If it is a program shortcut then it will open in front.
    I made a test shortcut as follows:
    Right click desktop –> new -> shortcut
    In the box “location of the item” for example:
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe" ITV Hub
    Next -> give the shortcut a name e.g. ITV Player -> Finish
    Right click short cut and click “Pin to Start”
    In the above example the icon will be Firefox, so change it to whatever you prefer.
    Now if I am in "Tablet Mode" the shortcut will open ITV Player on top.
    (I'm sure that is some kind of bug where the URL shortcut will not open on top)

Dave77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them

1. Start Screen: opening items doesn't always switch to them - Similar Threads - Start Screen opening

2. When I start applications they always open in small or minimized screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I start applications they always open in small or minimized screen.: When I open a program it always starts minimized or in small mode, I want them to always open in maximized screen, I don't know how to solve it....
  3. When I start applications they always open in small or minimized screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I start applications they always open in small or minimized screen.: When I open a program it always starts minimized or in small mode, I want them to always open in maximized screen, I don't know how to solve it....
  4. Resolution doesn't always fill the game screen

Resolution doesn't always fill the game screen: Hi, I've had this issue with some games. It doesn't happen in all games, but it's noticeable in some. Screenshot from game below Issue: When I open a game like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Steam, the game runs fine in terms of resolution, but in a specific part where there's a...
  5. Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.

Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.: Hi, for the past week or so I've had an issue with the Start Menu on Windows 11 not acting properly. When clicking on the window icon it may or may not open the start menu and even when it does, it may or may not stay open long enough for me to use it. There's also a couple...
  6. Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.: Hi, for the past week or so I've had an issue with the Start Menu on Windows 11 not acting properly. When clicking on the window icon it may or may not open the start menu and even when it does, it may or may not stay open long enough for me to use it. There's also a couple...
  7. open files instead of always saving them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open files instead of always saving them: I still haven't mastered the concept of just being able to open a file without saving it. I end up deleting tons of useless data, and it gets annoying. Can anyone offer me a solution?...
  8. folders with invisiable items in them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders with invisiable items in them: I have some folders that contain music files but the file names are not showing up in file explorer. The hidden attribute does not appear to be set on any of the files. If you look in the folder in file explorer it shows no files - folder empty but if you delete the...
  9. Start Menu Items Open in Wrong Browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Items Open in Wrong Browser: Chrome is set as my default browser in Windows 10. When I click on an internet shortcut on the start menu, the site opens in Edge. How do I change it to open in Chrome?...
  10. Always Log On To The Start Screen (Metro)???

in Windows 10 Support
    Always Log On To The Start Screen (Metro)???: I want to always log on to the Start screen with the tiles. I've found several sites with the info on how to configure this. Here is one. How To Always Log On To The Start Screen (Metro) On Windows 10 When You Sign On Liberian Geek However, these instructions all show a...