Windows 10: Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?

Discus and support Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since updating my Dell Optiplex 780 to Windows 10 via the free upgrade, my custom start Windows and exit Windows sounds no longer play, in fact, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?

Since updating my Dell Optiplex 780 to Windows 10 via the free upgrade, my custom start Windows and exit Windows sounds no longer play, in fact, the option to get them back is completely gone! Is there any way I can recover this setting and have start and exit Windows sounds play again?

Also, on Windows 7, there is a nifty little program called 'Windows 7 logon background changer' that changes the background on Windows 7. However, I don't see anything like that for Windows 10. I can change the lock screen, and create a picture password, but the normal 'type in your password' screen is still the default Microsoft one. How can I change it?

:)

Ornithophilia, Jun 28, 2016

2. Log in screen missing.

I never had login screen missing when I upgraded to Windows 10 but with Windows 10 anniversary update my login screen never comes up. Once I reboot it appears most times but sometimes i need to reboot more than once. I have tried all the suggestions that
    have been posted on the web like performing a safe mode login and performing a re-install but it doesn't help. If I shut down my computer and then start it after it is shut down the login screen never appears. If I restart my computer most times it gives me
    the login screen. This is happening on both my desktop and my laptop so it isn't isolated. Also, since I am not on Windows 10 64 bit on my desktop I don't get the screen in the bottom right hand corner that allows me to ask the computer to restart so i have
    to shut down the computer unceremoniously and hope that the restart will give me the login screen. I am on 64 bit on my laptop which gives me the choice to restart or shut down.

BerniceLink, Jun 28, 2016
  3. ed375 Win User
    windows 10 sounds

I followed your procedure to play startup and shutdown sounds.

I didn't get the sounds, I selected to play.

Trying to play startup and shutdown sounds, drastically increased the boot up, shut down, and restart times, in windows 10.

When I did a warm re-start I had about 2.5 minutes of gray screen, between the time win 10 appeared to shut down, and I saw a start-up screen ( start-up screen, Not my Desktop screen). Shutting down took
    several times longer than normal( timed from clicking shut-down until the computer turned itself off). A cold start also took much longer than normal (Power on- to desktop screen showing).

I went back and turned OFF the startup and shut down sounds.

I wonder why setting windows 10 to play startup & shut down sounds, makes windows 10 take
    WAY longer to start, re-start, or shut down than windows 7 did.

( Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, no problems just Major Annoyances)

ed375, Jun 28, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?

MS has done away with 'StartUp' sounds completely, (although they still work in certain older themes)

Whatever you choose for your lock screen will become your logon background:

Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 28, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    I remember that program for logon background. It was from a guy named Julian Manici...afraid it doesn't fly on 10. But, the Startup sound option should be here. Right click the speaker symbol in the notification area of the taskbar, click sounds, and you should have this. If you don't have the Speaker symbol, go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Change system sounds.

For the Logon screen background, look for this. Settings>Personalization>Lock screen. Slide it to ON. Of course if you choose a custom picture for your Lock Screen, it will also be your Logon Background.

Hope this helps.... TC

(duplicated part of Edwin's post - oops!)

f14tomcat, Jun 28, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Start Up sound only on a Restart only

[youtube]wBkQbm3Rujs[/youtube]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change?

1. Start up/shut down sounds missing. and login screen BG change? - Similar Threads - Start shut down

2. Missing shut down option

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing shut down option: Few days ago, when I tried to turn off my pc before going to bed, I noticed that shut down option was missing. I tried to look up on internet but any of the possible solutions weren't helpful. The only way I can turn off my pc is by using cmd with this command "shutdown /s /f...
  3. Change shutting down screen color to black

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change shutting down screen color to black: Is it possible to change the color of the shutdown screen to black in Windows 10 with the registry or a other way? [img] 175995
  4. Labtop starting up then shutting down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Labtop starting up then shutting down: Every time I try to turn on my computer it starts up but when I try to install Windows 10 on it it keeps its at 64% and then it shuts down and then it goes over the same process what should I do about this...
  5. Laptop Keeps Shutting Down at Login Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Keeps Shutting Down at Login Screen: Hello, I need some help fixing a shut down issue with an old laptop of mine HP pavilion g series 7. Every time I start up the laptop and get to the login screen where I am supposed to enter my password, the laptop just completely shuts down as if you held down the power...
  6. Windows 10 freezes up on Start up and shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezes up on Start up and shut down: Earlier it was just freezing during shutdown/restart so I ignored it as I could just forcefully shutdown the PC using the power button. But now I can't even login, the moment it shows mouse pointer on screen after boot screen, keyboard, mouse everything just freezes up. No...
  7. start up sound not changing

start up sound not changing: Ive wanted my computer for the longest time to have jarvis speak when the computer shuts on/off. Ive followed many sugestions with all the same way on how to do it and it dose not seam to change it still plays the default sound....
  8. shut down and start up background screen?

shut down and start up background screen?: Well, i just upgraded to 10. I notice that the start up and shut screen is really dull. Where can i find the setting to adjust the screen for this part? 55145
  9. 5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    5 min delay on cold start between login screen and bg screen: I'm not sure when this issue was introduced into the bowels of my PC because I normally put it in sleep mode when not in use. Prior to the first time I noticed it the PC would breeze through the startup process with no discernible delays. Now, when I cold start it, just...
  10. Start-up sound missing **RESOLVED**

in Windows 10 Support
    Start-up sound missing **RESOLVED**: Start up sound has been restored via Windows Update KB3081424. 9881