Windows 10: Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Discus and support Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am using HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook with Windows 10 Home Edition installed. HD: TOSHIBA MK6465GSX [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) Recently my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by michealjohn, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

I am using HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook with Windows 10 Home Edition installed.
    HD: TOSHIBA MK6465GSX [Hard drive] (640.13 GB)

Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error, overheating and DISK usage always 100%...

I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows 10 boot-up disk.

But it is not responding even for the F11 - System recovery option to format it.

I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the "Start-up Test" first.

The result is as below:

Start-up Test:

Memory Test: PASSED
    SMART Check: PASSED
    Short DST: FAILED

FAILURE ID
    U4L1X3-56C86C-XD6U3G-60SF03
    PRODUCT ID
    XG192PA#AB4

Hard Disk 1
    ------------------

As it looks like Hard Disk issue, I ran the "Hard-Disk Test", but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED.

It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue?
    Do I need to replace the Hard drive?
    If so, can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba? any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board?

Please advise.

:)

michealjohn, Jul 21, 2016
  2. JoyceTQ Win User

Laptop issues

Okay thank you.. I did a extensive test . Hard drive short DST check failed

JoyceTQ, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Blue Screen and "failed to read data from the disk" while backing up to external HDD

Hi

I ran the short drive self test, which it failed, see below.

I was a little confused about what to do next - is there a repair tool?

Also I can find the manufacturer for the HDD - the info doesnt seem to be on my PC... otherwise I would see if they have a repair tool.

Thanks for the support

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.5 ---------------

11/08/2017 21:00:46

Model Number: ST1000LM014-1EJ164

Serial Number: W380S1WL

Firmware Revision: LVD3

Identify - Started 11/08/2017 21:00:46

Short DST - Started 11/08/2017 21:02:16

Short DST - FAIL 11/08/2017 21:02:23

SeaTools Test Code: E3AA69E2

Thisisoldhat, Jul 21, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Sounds like a failing hard disk, but the overheating thing is worrisome.

The TOSHIBA MK6465GSX is a 2.5" form factor SATA drive, 9.5 mm thick. You should be able to replace it with any drive with the same dimensions. (You probably can use a thinner drive, but a spacer may be needed to mount it.) That includes SSDs that are intended as laptop HD replacements.

I see that there are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to replace the HD for your model laptop.

bobkn, Jul 21, 2016
  5. I have also tired the Primary Hard Disk Self Test in BIOS and it is throwing as "#3F1 - Hard Disk 1 Error"
    is it because the hard drive failure it is overheating or some other issue for overheating?

how to partition the new Hard drive and install the windows 10

michealjohn, Jul 21, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    See the tutorial:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

(You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the relevant part.)

For a blank HD, the installer can automatically partition and format the disk. I recommend that.

If you wish to restore the OS onto a new drive from an image of the old one, that will take more effort. (Are you like most people, with no such image?)

bobkn, Jul 21, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    That means your HDD has failed.
    If you have a Windows 10 installation media, (ie) DVD or USB Flash. Replace old HDD with new, boot off of the Windows install media, do a Custom Install. In Where to install Windows, In Drive Options, make sure the new drive is all Unallocated Space. (a new drive should be) Go next, Windows will create partitions and format them NTFS as it installs the Windows OS automatically.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

1. Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED - Similar Threads - Start Test Failed

2. Failed PC start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed PC start up: Okay,So I bought a PC second hand years back. It worked for a about a year then died after I wasn’t on it for 20 minutes. When I turned it on again I was prompted with the“Your PC did not start correctly” screen. I tried multiple things back then to get it to work but it...
  3. Start up fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start up fail: Processor AMD Athlontm II X4 635 Processor 2.90 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB Device ID C8FBED17-0E45-4652-ADE3-696069A09B74 Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA309 System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this...
  4. S.MA.R.T Test failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    S.MA.R.T Test failed: Hi Guys.Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem.When i start my laptop i am faced with the SMART check and it says that the short DST Failed .can someone help me to get back on tracks please.Thanks....
  5. Hdd dst failed

Hdd dst failed: My mothers laptop recently stopped botting wo windows, instead it goes into recovery and says the windows couldnt load because of missing system files/keys.I know my mother didnt delete yhem, alk she did last night was turn off her laptop, we ran the built in hp hardware fast...
  6. DST - Testing scenarios

in Windows 10 Customization
    DST - Testing scenarios: As developer, I am sometimes in the situation that I need DST "now" to test the behavior of a system/software ... Pre-requisites: stopp Windows Time Service habe + disabled it that it is not started by domain...
  7. Disk 100% , freeze , Long DST and short DST failed

Disk 100% , freeze , Long DST and short DST failed: My laptop hangs and freeze after opening any app or folder. It also shows Long DST and short DST failed. Disk usage goes up to 100 %. I have run some command and software. Those are attached below Is my hard drive is bad or this is a software issue? What should I do now?...
  8. Recovery loop > "Hard drive short DST check failed" > chkdsk /r failed at stage 4 > reboot...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery loop > "Hard drive short DST check failed" > chkdsk /r failed at stage 4 > reboot...: HP laptop The title about covers it. I got stuck in the dreaded BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO BSoD loop where autorepair just fails then back to the bluescreen, back to autorepair... Managed to get into the advance options and: Tried fixing startup to no avail. Did the Short...
  9. Hard Drive short DST check: Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive short DST check: Failed: Hi all, My hp laptop (bought in 2016) suddenly ran to problem "Your PC couldn't start properly" and i cannot reboot it again. When i ran the component test it shows Hard Drive short DST check: Failed. I have contacted the local hp service center. They were informed like...
  10. Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed: So my laptop HP 14-ac136tu has been performing very slow for the last few months and so I decided to reset it but failed. When I turned it on again, it shows the hp logo then shows a black screen without cursor. I tried pressing the F2 before the logo starts and it directed...