Windows 10: Start up & Updates

Discus and support Start up & Updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I am using Lenovo G585 laptop; Firefox 49.0.2; Google search engine I have 2 issues that I would seek advice with. 1. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Colinito, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Colinito Win User

Start up & Updates

Hello Everyone,
    I am using Lenovo G585 laptop; Firefox 49.0.2; Google search engine

I have 2 issues that I would seek advice with.

1. I installed W10 for free at the last miniutue, on my own and followed the instructions! (Which caused a couple of problems, not the issues here!)

Ever since it was first Installed, on start up it gets to the place where the little blue Windows Icon is in the middle of the screen. If nothing is done it will stay there indefinitely. I have to press the power off/on button and when the lights all go off, I press it again (Power off/on) and the OS starts without a problem.

Question - Is there an explanation for this and is there an easy cure? It is really only inconvenient and as I am not at all technical, and also well past my sell-by-date, if the cure is complicated, I shall probably have to leave it as it is!

2. I have a great deal of copied and downloaded music - mostly Jazz and Blues CDs and DVDs - on my computer controlled by WMP.

At my last Windows Update, (Annoyingly I can no longer control this event or choose what I want or not, as I did with my previous W7) a pop-up warning informed me that some of my music may not be playable if the updates were installed due to matters with copyright, etc. To the best of my knowledge there is no illegal music in my library, but I worry that as a lot of it is very old and not replaceable, that I will lose the ability to play it if Windows decides that it won't play any if I go ahead with the update. I therefore aborted the update.

Question - Does anyone have any advice gow to get around this problem, I would like to update, but I don't want to lose any of the recordings.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Reqards

:)

Colinito, Oct 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Updates - Start-up Menu

Clare

The new Desktop and the changes to the Start Menu in Windows 10 can be quite a challenge for a user migrating from Windows 7. It is important therefore to customise the displays to suit the way you wish to work and to give easy access to the
    programmes you use regularly.

If you use two or three programmes much of the time you may find it convenient to pin programmes to the Taskbar and use Jump Lists. In the first image below you will see a total of 15 programme icons including Excel, Word, Internet Explorer,
    and other less known programmes pinned to the Taskbar. It is for you to choose what appears there. What follows next is one way how to do it.

The program files for the principal Office 2010 components are:

Excel = excel.exe

Outlook = outlook.exe

Word = winword.exe

If you need other exe file details please ask.

You can open or run any program e.g., Excel, by selecting the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type excel.exe and press the ENTER
    key. An Excel work sheet opens and an icon is temporarily added to the taskbar, usually at the bottom of the screen. Right click on the icon and select
    Pin to taskbar. The next time you want to open Excel you click the icon. If you right click the icon you will see recent Excel files you have opened. You can click any recent file to open the file. If you want to be able to
    access a particular Excel file regularly right click the file and select
    Pin to this list
    . The right click options linked to the taskbar icons are known as Jump lists. You can use these procedures with Word, Outlook and many other programmes.

You can customise the Desktop by deciding which panels appear on your Desktop and their position. Click the
    three lines 1 icon in the top left corner of the desktop and then click
    All apps 2 at the bottom of the left pane.

Start up & Updates [​IMG]

Click A 3 at the top of the list of programmes beginning with the letter A to get an A to Z index. Click
    M to get a list of programmes beginning with the letter
    M.

Click Microsoft Office 4 to expand it to see Microsoft Excel 2010. Right click
    Microsoft Excel 2010 5 and click
    Pin to Start (the drop down menu also offers another way to Pin to Taskbar). An Excel panel appears on your Desktop. If you do not immediately see it, scroll down the screen as far as you can go. It will be
    there. You can then drag any icon to an empty space on your screen. If you want to see Excel in the top left of the Desktop. You will need to move the existing item occupying the place to another position on the screen so that the space is vacant. You can
    then move Excel there.

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Updates - Start-up Menu

Do you get a drop down menu when you right click the Start button?

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start up & Updates

1. Not sure (what's the little blue Windows icon?) but it might be worth disabling fast start-up and seeing what happens.
    (If you don't know how, just search for "How do I disable fast start-up")
    2. Use a different player. Why not?
    Could be sthg to do with DRM - maybe the warning is just indicating a possibility that may not apply.
    Always helpful to note the exact text of the error message then search for it.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2016
  5. Colinito Win User
    Hello Dalchina,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I now explain the Blue Windows “Icon” that you questioned. When I power-up my laptop the screen briefly shows the name of the computer – Lenovo – then a small blue icon in the shape of four blue squares in the shape of a four-paned - two on top of two - window appears in the centre of the screen.
    It will stay there without moving if I do not power-off and then power-on again. The same happens except that on the second start-up a dotted circle revolves beneath the blue icon and eventually W10 starts.
    &%& I followed your advice and found out how to stop or start Fast Start-up, and disabled it. I restarted my laptop and there was no change. I then powered off and then powered on and it started without me having to power off then power on as before. I think you have solved that part for me. Many thanks.

With regard to Windows Updates, I was about to attempt this again in order to be able to give you an exact quote of the words. However, I notice that the update is entitled version 1607 02-August-16. Install the Anniversary edition of Windows.
    I have heard of many problems associated with this particular installation, once again I have not proceeded in concern that many of my programmes will no longer work, as well as my music that has issues! I can’t quote that now as I am holding back with this update for the reasons I mention.

Regards

Colin

Colinito, Oct 26, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, here's how to protect yourself and virtually guarantee you can recover safely from a failed update and many other situations by using disk imaging. Note that some problems with the initial anniversary update have hopefully been resolved with the the huge updates since that came out, but no guarantees given MS's reputation now and the wide mix of devices.

This means you can
    -create a full system image with Macrium Reflect (e.g.)
    - attempt the upgrade and try it
    - then either
    . return to the previous build using Windows
    . return to the previous build using the image you have created

Disk imaging should be used routinely by almost everyone - we strongly and repeatedly recommend it.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  7. Colinito Win User
    Hello Dalchina,
    Thank you very much for that lengthy reply!

I will go online when I receive your reply to these - probably silly questions - and obtain the Macrium Reflect that you advise.

I am not at all technical, but from your description it would seem that I would have to insert a disc in to my laptop to do this. I have two - CD-R and DVD-R both Verbatim. But they are only 700MB for the CDs and 4.5GB for the DVDs.
    When I look at my details it still indicates W7 and shows two C = 338GB free of 420GB and D = 23.2GB free of 25.4GB. This shows me that I have got 82GB in use on C so how on earth do I get all that onto a disc or how do I stop the backup and continue for another disc? It seems that at 4..7GB per disc, I going to need18 DVDs? Unbelievable!

I am most impressed by the reference to recovering from Ransomware - this is one of my fears, even though I do not "surf" the internet much.

Does it come with instructions on how to use it or should I search for instructions on the internet?

Many thanks, once again, for your advice. It would appear to me that even though I have a few problems with this W10, I might be able to function a bit more 'normally' some time soon!

My biggest problem apart from those we have discussed, is the loss of signal after installing W10, but I shall leave that for now and address it at a later stage.

How would I 'update' the recorded data, do it all over again? And how often would this be recommended to do?

I look forward to your reply and to being able to actually do an 'update'! (This is a little like walking through a marsh - I don't know when I am going to sink or tread on steady ground!)

Regards,

Colin.

Colinito, Oct 26, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Start up & Updates

Hi, please visit the Macrium Reflect site... read the help, watch the videos.
    Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Also here: user created info:
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums

Then you can search for info and find this e.g.
    How to use Macrium Reflect Free to back up your PC | TechRadar

For backup disks - bearing in mind you can and should image all your partitions- not just Windows but data disks and partitions- you might want to consider a 1 or 2Tb external USB disk- £40-60 or so. Or you could use a network connected resource if you have a network.

Macrium supports scheduled backups, or do backups before a major change and after one and periodically manually.

To update my Windows image takes a few minutes (using a SSD is faster).

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  9. Colinito Win User
    Hello Dalchina,
    Thank you for that wealth of information.
    On my desktop, at my home, I have had a TB hard drive inserted and I kept the original hard drive - which I think was about 500GB - to use as a backup facility. I removed the CD reader and kept the CD/DVD Reader/Writer and put the old HD in the CD Readers' place. I am not at home now, but I think that there is plenty of room on it and maybe I could obtain a "container" for it with a USB connection and use that for backup, maybe if there is sufficient room, for both the desktop AND the laptop?. If that would be acceptable, I could do it after Christmas when we hope to return home for a few months.

Regards,

Colin.

Colinito, Oct 27, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Never wait to do your first backup. People experience Windows updates that render their PC unbootable.

A few days ago I suddenly found my PC wouldn't boot properly. Ok, I had the tools ready and knew what to do- in this case I didn't need my disk image.

People who don't use disk imaging sometimes find they have to do a clean install when it wouldn't have been necessary.

And HDDs fail- then you risk losing everything. Don't wait...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start up & Updates

1. Start up & Updates - Similar Threads - Start Updates

2. My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...: My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many times but it's not changed and stuck help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-7-of-update-and-not/631f574a-c24e-41d5-8944-4647123c141a
  3. My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...: My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many times but it's not changed and stuck help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-7-of-update-and-not/631f574a-c24e-41d5-8944-4647123c141a
  4. My computer is stuck on 7% of update and not started and I shut down my computer for many...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. After update in Win 11 Lost taskbar, start button,and functionality of Windows button.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update in Win 11 Lost taskbar, start button,and functionality of Windows button.: Tried all suggestion for standard fixes including restoring to previous state which happened to be after the problem. .settings will not come up, Task manager freezes,lost functionality in Firefix but not Chrome. can't get to updates to try and reinstall.Suggestions please...
  6. After update in Win 11 Lost taskbar, start button,and functionality of Windows button.

After update in Win 11 Lost taskbar, start button,and functionality of Windows button.: Tried all suggestion for standard fixes including restoring to previous state which happened to be after the problem. .settings will not come up, Task manager freezes,lost functionality in Firefix but not Chrome. can't get to updates to try and reinstall.Suggestions please...
  7. Cannot start the PC after BIOS Update, 300-20ISH Desktop ideacentre - Type 90DA

Cannot start the PC after BIOS Update, 300-20ISH Desktop ideacentre - Type 90DA: Hello, I attempted to update the BIOS through the official Lenovo website, following the readme instructions provided. It took me to the BIOS where it displayed 'Program new data' and below that 'Write new boot block.' I waited for about 1-2 hours, but it didn't progress at...
  8. Cannot start the PC after BIOS Update, 300-20ISH Desktop ideacentre - Type 90DA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start the PC after BIOS Update, 300-20ISH Desktop ideacentre - Type 90DA: Hello, I attempted to update the BIOS through the official Lenovo website, following the readme instructions provided. It took me to the BIOS where it displayed 'Program new data' and below that 'Write new boot block.' I waited for about 1-2 hours, but it didn't progress at...
  9. Cannot start the PC after BIOS Update, 300-20ISH Desktop ideacentre - Type 90DA

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Nothing started after update and now stuck in Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nothing started after update and now stuck in Safe Mode?: My Dell laptop computer has always had problems, ever since I got it in 2017. The laptop has always been a bit slow. At one point the hard drive crashed and we had to replace it; it's still remarkably slow at times, and the browser has a tendency to freeze. Sometimes when...