Windows 10: Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

Discus and support Start8 on Windows Tech Preview in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Trust_No1, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

Start8 on Windows Tech Preview

Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can even switch between the new Windows desktop menu, start screen and both keep my old windows 7 menu is still intact.

There are a few drawbacks, no transparency on menus, nor can you move items around in the programs part of the menu (alphabetical), hey but no biggie, I am sure with they will resolve that....gee I like this. Thank god for Start8.

:)

Trust_No1, Oct 28, 2014
  2. cm62020 Win User

Cortana search box and task view icons cover other icons

I had the same issue and solved it by uninstalling the now defunct start8 application. After installing Windows 10 I only disabled the start8 function, it must have interfered with it.

cm62020, Oct 28, 2014
  3. right clicking windows icon

I've managed to remove all vestiges of Start8 from my system and run the dism commands again, but the problem persists. People are waiting on me to see if they'll upgrade to win10 (i'm kind of the computer tech around here) so I would really appreciate
    some kind of solution! Help!!!!

A Crazy Cat and Computer Lady, Oct 28, 2014
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Really. . .what a waste of money and resources.

5. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree totally. The whole point of Win10TP was/is to have a start menu. Using a third party start makes me wonder why would the OP bother with anything above Win7??

OP, if you hate Win8.x and Win10 so much why not stick with Win7?? It's going to be around for some time.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 28, 2014
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Just speaking for myself, I could see the desire to have a 3rd party start menu in the even that you don't want any of the tiles showing and taking up space when you click on your start menu.

I almost NEVER use the start screen in Windows 8.x, and I use Start8 for my start menu and have since day 1. But I do have the start screen setup, for that random time that I do want to use it. I hit the Windows key on my keyboard and get the Start Screen in that rare event that I do want it. But with Windows 10, I don't want all of that "hardly ever used' stuff always popping up whenever I use my start menu.

I don't hate Windows 8. In fact, for under the hood reasons, I want Windows 8 over Windows 7. Especially on a new computer where a license is going to come with it. I've stuck with Windows 7 on personal machines instead of paying for the upgrade, but with a new computer, I'd not stick with Windows 7.

pparks1, Oct 28, 2014
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    You can remove the tiles from the start menu if you don't want them there.
    Test it out and get back.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 28, 2014
  8. jeffrys Win User

"Thank god for Start8"

Yeah right...

Anyway why not ask Stardock if it will work. In my opinion NO, since they do not offer this possibility.

Jeff

jeffrys, Oct 31, 2014
  9. Actually, they just updated Start8 to a new version -- which is compatible with Windows 10.

Mark Phelps, Oct 31, 2014
  10. jeffrys Win User
    ok Mark,

will see on their site if the other programs work for me.

Do not use Start8 myself.

thanks

Jeff

jeffrys, Nov 1, 2014
  11. pparks1 Win User
    I'm aware of that. But it's an all or nothing approach. Either you go back to the way that 8.0 was (just a start screen, no menu), or you use the integrated start menu (with the tiles).

pparks1, Nov 1, 2014
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    I'm aware of that. But it's an all or nothing approach. Either you go back to the way that 8.0 was (just a start screen, no menu), or you use the integrated start menu (with the tiles). Huh?? Check this out:

Start8 on Windows Tech Preview [​IMG]

Now how is that all or nothing?? I have the start menu without the apps and if I want the start screen I can get that with Win10.

Yes, a tool like classic shell is a good option but I for one wouldn't pay for a start menu option.

BunnyJ, Nov 1, 2014
  13. pparks1 Win User

@BunnyJ. Ok, so you have disabled all of your tiles from your Start Menu...which I think is great and that is exactly how I would want it 98.5% of the time.

So, show me how your start screen looks right now for those 1.5% of times when I would want to use that instead to lunch an app.

pparks1, Nov 2, 2014
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Just hover over on "All Apps" then you'll have all the Apps listed.

topgundcp, Nov 2, 2014
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    Just hover over on "All Apps" then you'll have all the Apps listed. *Wink Yup... this is the answer.

Jeff *Biggrin

BunnyJ, Nov 2, 2014
Thema:

1. Start8 on Windows Tech Preview - Similar Threads - Start8 Tech Preview

2. StarDoc Start8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    StarDoc Start8: I'm planning to upgrade from W8.1 to W10 soon. When I still used W8.0, I installed Start8 in order to get a more friendly user-interface. When I upgraded to W8.1 I kept Start8. When I'm eventually running W10 I obviously wont need Start8 anymore. Should I uninstall...
  3. Windows Update Prompting an Upgrade to Tech Preview

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Prompting an Upgrade to Tech Preview: Hello all, I'm running Windows 7 Ult x64 and I continue to receive this notification upon startup: [img] Showing more details: [img] Any ideas on how to remove? It's quite annoying. Choosing "Hide Update" doesn't work. Thanks! 2209
  4. MSAHCI in the new tech preview?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MSAHCI in the new tech preview?: I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, [img] It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install of the Tech preview,...
  5. Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview...: It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing. 2919
  6. stop tech preview updating

in Windows 10 Support
    stop tech preview updating: hi all is it possible to stop the tech preview from updating itself to the latest release 9860 is usable for me as i run mediaportal and it is stable in 9860 9879 is unusable as mediaportal bluescreens as soon as it is opened i go back to 9860 and then in the morning...
  7. Installing 10 tech preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 10 tech preview: How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10? 3722
  8. Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Tech Preview Tips: I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Laptop, and 8.1 x64 on our desktop. Any tips on what I should do? I don't have a USB drive or a backup CD. Should I not install it? 2389
  9. Update for Windows Tech Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Update for Windows Tech Preview: October 2014 update for Windows Tech Preview and Windows Server Tech Preview [kb3001512] Issues that are fixed in this updateIn Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates. Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video...
  10. Tech Preview Updates Today

in Windows 10 News
    Tech Preview Updates Today: So, does anyone know what they did? As usual, no MS info @support... [img]