Windows 10: StartComponentCleanup: The component store has been corrupted

Discus and support StartComponentCleanup: The component store has been corrupted in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Helllo! I have a problem with 'StartComponentCleanup' Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NourinE, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NourinE Win User

StartComponentCleanup: The component store has been corrupted

Helllo! I have a problem with 'StartComponentCleanup'

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063](c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanupDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.15063.0Image Version: 10.0.15063.0[============= 23.8% ]Error: 14098The component store has been corrupted.The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logC:\WINDOWS\system32>

:)

NourinE, Aug 12, 2017
  2. MARC-NY Win User

Component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712) and Error: 14098

Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials

RE: StartComponentCleanup Task fails

DISM giving contradictory results

My StartComponentCleanup task in Tasks Scheduler was failing with the error:

Last Run Result: The component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712).

The task is located in Task Sheduler under Microsoft, Windows, Servicing

No problem, I thought - over to elevated command prompt and DISM.

>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[==========================100.0%==========================]

No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully.

OK Great, should be ready to clean.

>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Error: 14098

The component store has been corrupted.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Odd, let’s fix that up.

>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The restore operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired.

Let’s be safe and re-scan.

>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

No component store corruption detected.

And on to cleanup

>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

I’m totally at a loss. How can it report as non-corrupted, repaired and corrupted all in quick succession????

Unsure how to fix. Windows Updates works fine and we have no other symptoms except that the StartComponentCleanup Task always fails as explained above.

Thank You.

MARC-NY, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Error: 14098 The component store has been corrupted. In Windows Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

Hi

Error code: (0x80073712) for windows 10 update.

C:\>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess

Version: 10.0.10586.0
    Image Version: 10.0.10586.0
    C:\>

I am running into this error when trying to install the KB314098 update. Tried sfc /scannow: Beginning system scan.

I am not able to do more, i have tried different methods and still it dos not work.

AbrahamSV-r, Aug 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please consider this thread:
    Component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712) and Error: 14098 Solved - Windows 10 Forums

And note the useful tool here: (post #2) - (the boot disk in #1 is also good to be aware of)
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Is there any useful information in the log?

Given that symptom, it's also worth checking your disk, being cautious:
    Hard Disk Sentinel (trial)

then
    From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

If still no joy, consider an in-place upgrade repair install (which keeps all programs and most settings)

dalchina, Aug 12, 2017
  5. NourinE Win User
    I ran the chkdsk c:/ f, and here's the log.

NourinE, Aug 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that's a pass- please also work through and consider the other points in my previous post.

Was there any useful info on the DISM log mentioned in your post?

If, having done that, you choose to proceed with an in-place upgrade repair install, there's a tutorial in the Tutorial section, or I can paste a write-up on it.

dalchina, Aug 13, 2017
  7. NourinE Win User
    I found out that I also have a hard disk drive errors, I ran HDD Regenerator, but required Bootable CD, so I resorted to Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk and now it has regenerated 764 bad sectors on the hard disk in around 7 hours, and it's going to take 24 other hours.
    I think this is also related to the issue I'm having.
    I will let you know the result, when the it's done.

NourinE, Aug 14, 2017
  8. NourinE Win User

HDD Regenerator detected some bad sectors and regenerated them, but once I restart everything is back again.
    using HDD Sentinel shows that my hard disk health only 9%.

NourinE, Aug 20, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Suggest you simply post a screenshot of Hard Disk Sentinel (when able). If that indicates too many failing sectors, for example, you need to consider data recovery and backup urgently, and you should do that before performing more write operations on a possibly failing disk.

You do have backups, I hope? We strongly and repeatedly urge people to use disk imaging routinely. Macrium Reflect (free) is very good.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. StartComponentCleanup: The component store has been corrupted - Similar Threads - StartComponentCleanup component store

2. How to fix .NET Framework 3.5 the component store has been corrupted Error code 0x80073712

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to fix .NET Framework 3.5 the component store has been corrupted Error code 0x80073712: Hi So ive been trying to figure this out for a few days now and i cant seem to resolve the issue. Ive tried everything, the DISM thing, sfc /scannnow, troubleshooting, heck i even downloaded the dotnfxrepair tool with no luck. I also noticed that this seems to be a persistent...
  3. Component Store Corruption - Build version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Component Store Corruption - Build version: I realised I've got component store corruption because cumulutive updates are failing to install with error 0x800f0831. Last successful cumulutive update that installed is February KB4601319. So stuck on 19042.804. The following is the 32 missing packages that I need. I am...
  4. Error: 14098 The component store has been corrupted. When attempting to repair Windows 10...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error: 14098 The component store has been corrupted. When attempting to repair Windows 10...: C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:g:\sources\boot.wim /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.329 Image Version: 10.0.19041.450 [== 3.8% ] Error:...
  5. The component store is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The component store is corrupted.: Hello everyone, I'm experiencing a problem where I can't download any DirectX, NET Framework, etc. because of the Component Store being corrupted with an Error 0x80073712. I tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, and it said that the Component Store is...
  6. .NET Framework 3.5 the component store has been corrupted error code 0x80073712

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .NET Framework 3.5 the component store has been corrupted error code 0x80073712: Hello My old hard drive died and everything was working fine on it. On the new drive I seem to be struggling to get things working. One of these things I am struggling with is this .Net Framework 3.5. I keep getting the store is corrupted and an error code and I dont know...
  7. DISM Error 14098, The component store has been corrupted

in Windows 10 News
    DISM Error 14098, The component store has been corrupted: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]DISM is a powerful utility in Windows 10. It can be used with the Command Prompt command line for a variety of purposes. At the time, after trying to execute a command, it may throw up an error. One such [...] This post DISM Error 14098, The component store...
  8. dism the component store has been corrupted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dism the component store has been corrupted: system32>dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Het onderdeelarchief is beschadigd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-the-component-store-has-been-corrupted/3437e59c-805b-48c0-a52b-bccece6756aa
  9. KB3194496 - Corrupts Component Store?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3194496 - Corrupts Component Store?: Hi. I've been trying to install update KB3194496, but without success. Before installing it, DISM /CheckHealth reports "No component store corruption detected.". When trying to install the update, DISM aborts giving the error code 0x80073712 with the message "The...
  10. Component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712) and Error: 14098

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712) and Error: 14098: Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials RE: StartComponentCleanup Task fails DISM giving contradictory results My StartComponentCleanup task in Tasks Scheduler was failing with the error: Last Run Result: The component store has been corrupted. (0x80073712). The task is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corruption error after running start componentcelanup command

2. start component cleanup the component store has been corrupted

3. unexpected error refreshing server manager the component store has been corrupted 0x80073712

4. KB314098