Windows 10: Starting new program opens program window in background

Discus and support Starting new program opens program window in background in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was having an issue in Windows 10 wherein the new windows (e.g., printing from email) would disappear behind all other windows. This is what fixed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by toc, Oct 11, 2015.

1. IzzyB68 Win User

Starting new program opens program window in background

I was having an issue in Windows 10 wherein the new windows (e.g., printing from email) would disappear behind all other windows. This is what fixed it for me:
    • Go to Control Panel
    • Select Ease of Access Center
    • Click 'Make the Mouse Easier to Use'
    • Uncheck "Activate a window by hovering over it with a mouse."
    I hope this will help others with similar issues. *Smile

IzzyB68, Jun 17, 2016

2. That did NOT solve my problem and it is happening on both the windows 10 computers.

I open up a few windows (I like to multi-task) but eventually, I open up a window and it is behind all the others and it will not come to the front. I have to minimize the windows in front to work with it.

Closing and opening it makes no difference. And it does not seem to matter WHAT program opens the window, after about 2 to 3 hours, whatever window is opened gets stuck in the rear.

I have the free Windows 10 upgrade and upgraded from Windows 8.1. I went through the trouble of formatting the HD and re-installing windows 10 (Took a call to Microsoft to get it re-installed) but that did not fix the problem.

After Windows 10 is up and running for an extended period of time, this problem resurfaces.

Microsoft has yet to answer my request on how to fix this problem. Request submitted back in June of 2016.

Lance

LanceSummers, Oct 1, 2016
  3. sunilsiv Win User
    I have exactly the same problem, after the Win 10 upgrade. The window selected from the taskbar stays in the background, and the currently active one stays on top, till it is removed by pressing the "-" or "x" on the top left hand corner.

By reading thread, I got the impression that TOC who posted the question first, uninstalled Win 10, to solve the problem. More an act of frustration! I tried the solution suggested by IzzyB68, and that solved the problem temporarily. It was back within a few hours and I see the the "hover select", is still unchecked. It does not appear to be an unfixable issue, but there are may not be so many who are affected and could have to do with another program interfering with the settings. Appreciate if anyone can help.

sunilsiv, Jan 19, 2017
  4. TOC
    toc Win User

No, I didn`t uninstall Win 10 - I made a clean install of Win 10.
    And I have no problems after reinstalling.

So this is my advice - make a clean install, I am sure it will work for you too *Smile

5. sunilsiv Win User
    Thanks. It may not be so easy for me to do clean install, as for me migration of the applications in a laptop to a new one, is effort that takes several weeks. I suspect there may be an easier way to change the settings to fix the problem.

sunilsiv, Jan 19, 2017
  6. Dell1964 Win User
    The following solved it for me, after two years of intermittent googling hoping someone had found a solution. It wasn't rocket science in the end. I went into Google Chrome settings, scrolled down to advanced and right at the bottom I clicked reset - reset all setting to original. Bingo, all works as you'd expect now. I'm not a super nerd techie but my guess is some google process or setting causes the behaviour, it keeps chrome in the foreground, and this in turn influences the behaviour of all other programmes to do with foreground and background activity, whether Chome is open or not.

Dell1964, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Starting new program opens program window in background - Similar Threads - Starting program opens

2. Certain programs started not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain programs started not opening: As of a month or two, I would boot up a program only to execute It showed as open in the task manager, but there was no window. It would also allow me to boot up the same programs multiple times but without any window showing up still. Some of the programs that won't open...
  3. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program will open but only run in background: I was trying to help someone with this issue on their computer. The app was working fine until he tried installing a new program, which required him to restart his computer. Once he restarted his computer the app would not open in the foreground. When we try opening the...
  4. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program will open but only run in background: I was trying to help someone with this issue on their computer. The app was working fine until he tried installing a new program, which required him to restart his computer. Once he restarted his computer the app would not open in the foreground. When we try opening the...
  5. Program will open but only run in background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Program Opening Only As Background Process

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program Opening Only As Background Process: I have been having this issue for nearly two years now, but I have only sought to remedy it recently. When I attempt to run certain apps, the cursor shows as "Working in Background", signifying that the app is starting up, yet the app never progresses past being a background...
  7. A Program in Start bar but not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    A Program in Start bar but not opening: [ATTACH] Please take a look task bar there is a additional space before settings application How to remove that ?? This is happening after system restore for recent system restore point....
  8. Background programes

Background programes: How do i stop unwanted programs running in the background. they take up memory and CPU space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-programes/f91252cb-7615-443d-aa72-fdd2c7690a7e
  9. Background programs

Background programs: Programs disapear in task manager. When I return to my laptop after 10 mins or so the cpu is almost always 100% even though the laptop is idle. When I open task manager to have a look it briefly shows a couple of tasks running with high cpu but then they very quickly...
  10. background programs

background programs: When I open my task manager, under the "Services" tab, I have a lot of programs (116) that are "running" in the background. Under the "Processes" tab I have 92 Windows Processes and 77 Background Processes. My system moves very, very slow and I'm thinking that this may be...