Windows 10: Startup and Services

Discus and support Startup and Services in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am still new to Windows 10 but I guess the basic principles of these two internal programs are the same in Windows 7 and 10. I understand that in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by meridius, Dec 7, 2016.

1. meridius Win User

Startup and Services

I am still new to Windows 10 but I guess the basic principles of these two internal programs are the same in Windows 7 and 10.

I understand that in general disabling startup items in msconfig shortens the boot time and also disabling services does the same thing. However what I don't understand is how these two programs interrelate.

I guess msconfig programs are loaded first with services.msc second. Is this right?

How are these two programs related?

:)

meridius, Dec 7, 2016
  2. Joan Pin Win User

Frozen In Service Startup

Thanks for the follow up regarding the status of your concern, and we're glad to know it was resolved. Just in case you'll need additional assistance in the future, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to help.

Regards.

Joan Pin, Dec 7, 2016
  3. Frozen In Service Startup

I just got a new MicroSoft Surface Laptop

And in starting up i done my country and all that. But the problem occured when on services the One Drive wont allow me to proceed any further i can click on Next i can only go back

Any help required

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ZacharyCam, Dec 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Startup and Services

msconfig is a fairly simple tool to enable or disable services and boot related features, and a launchpad for some system tools.

services.msc allows you to also change the way services run. It has nothing to do with the boot configuration, nor does it help you launch system tools.

dalchina, Dec 7, 2016
  5. meridius Win User
    OK but can you explain why when I disabled SQL Server in services.msc, my boot times were massively faster. This suggests to me that there is a direct link between the services.msc settings and boot performance (also SQL Server was not listed in the Startup section of msconfig).

meridius, Dec 7, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    A service is simply a program that can be launched before anyone logs in, and they typically live outside of the interactive user session for security reasons. Basically any service that is set to auto will begin loading once the computer is powered on, so yes the more services you have the more processes that load equals performance hit.

Neemobeer, Dec 7, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    If a service is disabled it will not appear in msconfig > services tab. I can see several services not shown in msconfig.

One should only use msconfig as a tool for troubleshooting, it should not be used as a permanent tool to disable any application, process and/or service.

dalchina, Dec 7, 2016
  8. meridius Win User

Startup and Services

Why is that? I use it all the the time. For example an application is set to Startup but you want to disable it from using system resources at boot so you do this from msconfig>Startup. This application may not appear in services.msc so your only option is to use msconfig.

meridius, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Startup and Services

1. Startup and Services - Similar Threads - Startup Services

2. Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service: Hello, since updating to the newest version of Windows 11 Pro I've had problems with starting my system. Notably it crashes with a BSOD like 2-3 times at startup and it's a gamble whether it will progress normally or not. It works fine for about 10 seconds and then it...
  3. Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSOD at startup after recent Win11Pro update, related to GameInput Service: Hello, since updating to the newest version of Windows 11 Pro I've had problems with starting my system. Notably it crashes with a BSOD like 2-3 times at startup and it's a gamble whether it will progress normally or not. It works fine for about 10 seconds and then it...
  4. Bonjour service being disabled and not starting in Windows 11 on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bonjour service being disabled and not starting in Windows 11 on startup: Been having an issue with the Bonjour services under Windows 11.It shows as stopped and disabled after startup. I have repeatedly set the service to automated to start, then started it.... but every reboot and it goes back to disabled.Before reboot:After reboot:Note that I...
  5. Bonjour service being disabled and not starting in Windows 11 on startup

Bonjour service being disabled and not starting in Windows 11 on startup: Been having an issue with the Bonjour services under Windows 11.It shows as stopped and disabled after startup. I have repeatedly set the service to automated to start, then started it.... but every reboot and it goes back to disabled.Before reboot:After reboot:Note that I...
  6. When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...: When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed out. I know how to change the Start value in the registry, but how do I actually "un-gray" the service?When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type...
  7. When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...

When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed...: When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type is grayed out. I know how to change the Start value in the registry, but how do I actually "un-gray" the service?When I go to Services and click on some services in Windows 11, the startup type...
  8. I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login.: I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login. Now whenever I restart my pc it says "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again." When I click Set up my PIN nothing is happening. Sometimes a...
  9. I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login.

I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login.: I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login. Now whenever I restart my pc it says "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again." When I click Set up my PIN nothing is happening. Sometimes a...
  10. I disabled some of the services from startup after going in msconfig and now not able to login.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen

Users found this page by searching for:

1. AESMService: SGX is Disabled at AESM Service startup

2. what is aesmservice