Windows 10: Startup items don't always load

Discus and support Startup items don't always load in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; seems to be hit or miss... rebooted a min ago, things like malwarebytes, lanlights (For network indicator) etc... didn't pop up... reboot again,m there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by medievil, Jun 4, 2017.

1. medievil Win User

Startup items don't always load

seems to be hit or miss... rebooted a min ago, things like malwarebytes, lanlights (For network indicator) etc... didn't pop up... reboot again,m there they are, reboot another time, the desktop windows manager (I assume it control's the scaling) doesn't boot so all text is tiny. sometimes clear type font gets turned off and I have to run the wizard again
    really, really weird behavior
    anyone experience it or have a suggestion to look for?

:)

medievil, Jun 4, 2017
  2. louiscole Win User

System Configuration Startup in Windows 10

System configuration will not stay on Normal Startup. It always resets to Selective Startup with a black square in "load system services" and a check mark in "load startup items". SFC scan detected nothing. I've read on here that this is nothing to
    worry about, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with my problems with video streaming which, by the way, still exist. (I check AMD daily for updates.) I have a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5230 with AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics.

louiscole, Jun 4, 2017
  3. msconfig question

If you have 'Load system services' and 'Load start items' selected under Selective startup, its basically the same as Normal startup.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 4, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

I have experienced and solved two instances of that happening.
    The sound and Realtek Control panel sometimes would not start at restart, just from cold start. Disabled Realtek sound in BIOS, cleaned up drivers, enabled in BIOS and installed newest drivers and that fixed it.
    Some programs wouldn't auto-start if not set to run as administrator. Some got fixed but some didn't.
    If a program/driver uses own entry in Services may need to be set to autostart.

CountMike, Jun 5, 2017
  5. When app takes long time to load, Windows assumes it has crashed and closes it.
    The same thing happens to system tray icons sometimes on slow computers.
    People might solve it by prolonging the time it takes to close them.
    Code: 1000 = 1 second reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "AutoEndTasks" /t REG_SZ /d "1" /f reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "25000" /f reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "25000" /f reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "25000" /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jun 5, 2017
  6. medievil Win User
    hmmm...mines not exactly a slow PC....i5 4670 (non k) and I only have about 5 things in startup (Profile is about a month old)
    It really is hit or miss... last reboot everything loaded fine... HDD isn't even a year old and has no errors... could be, I suppose, cause windows loads so many dang services probabkly 1/2 I don't even need, but It takes to long to sit there disabling un-needed ones constantly going back and forth to check to see if it IS needed

medievil, Jun 5, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    It doesn't have to be a slow computer for that to happen, windows keep changing the order startup items (including drivers) are loaded. One example, I have my satellite TV sound going thru computer and some times sound starts as soon as windows start loading and sometimes it waits to activate sound drivers until fully booted or anywhere in between.

CountMike, Jun 5, 2017
  8. medievil Win User

thats kinda dumb on M$ part... the logical thing would be load in the order of install.... doing it random makes it a lot harder to troubleshoot

medievil, Jun 5, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    There is some order in that. IO drivers have to be loaded first obviously but anything else is fair game.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Startup items don't always load - Similar Threads - Startup items don't

2. Taskbar and Wallpaper don't load on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and Wallpaper don't load on startup: Hello, after turning on or restarting the computer, the taskbar, wallpaper, and icons just don't load. I see only a black screen and cursor.. I always have to manually launch Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and start explorer.exe via Run new task button. When I do...
  3. Taskbar and Wallpaper don't load on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and Wallpaper don't load on startup: Hello, after turning on or restarting the computer, the taskbar, wallpaper, and icons just don't load. I see only a black screen and cursor.. I always have to manually launch Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and start explorer.exe via Run new task button. When I do...
  4. There are no startup items to display; Startup items not appearing in Task Manager

in Windows 10 News
    There are no startup items to display; Startup items not appearing in Task Manager: [ATTACH]If Startup apps are not appearing in the Task Manager & you see a message There are no startup items to display then this post is sure to help you. This issue can occur if the Startup folder or the Common Startup folder, which are Windows OS folders, have got...
  5. There are no startup items to display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    There are no startup items to display: My startup in my task manager had been emptied for some reason. I have seen this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/task-manager-startup-there-are-no-startup-items-to/f1933c63-cf8c-4f2e-ab8f-1c7b234c44b4 But I got no Programs folder. I...
  6. There are no startup item to display

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    There are no startup item to display: [ATTACH] Hey guys, I need help with startup item not showing It was started when i'm trying to cleanup start app folder, and now this happened, i just noticed it a while ago...
  7. (some) Windows 10 startup items loading slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    (some) Windows 10 startup items loading slow: Why are some startup items loading so slow on Windows 10? Is there some place to change the priority on them? MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner starts instantly yet small sub 2mb apps like VirtuaWin and Strokeit loads after every frigging service has finished its job. Tried...
  8. (some) Windows 10 startup items loading slow

in Windows 10 Support
    (some) Windows 10 startup items loading slow: Why are some startup items loading so slow on Windows 10? Is there some place to change the priority on them? MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner starts instantly yet small sub 2mb apps like VirtuaWin and Strokeit loads after every frigging service has finished its job. Tried...
  9. Which startup items?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Which startup items?: I am wondering which of the startup items I can disable, other than the ones I already have disabled. For example, I use Photoshop every day repeatedly, and I don't know if I have to have Adobe CC in the startup menu. Please tell me which items on the list I should probably...
  10. Taskbar items loading to full screen on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar items loading to full screen on startup: howdy, since win 10 anniversary update on loading to desktop my Xonar DGX Audio Center, Logitech gaming software are on screen, no matter what i do, even after uninstalling and cleaning leftovers from drive/registry then still on screen, also river tuner statistics server box...