Windows 10: Startup user is not in user list

Discus and support Startup user is not in user list in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; At startup Win 10 quickly goes to a user and says "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again". I click OK and then select the proper user from... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mwr, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MWR
    mwr Win User

Startup user is not in user list

At startup Win 10 quickly goes to a user and says "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again". I click OK and then select the proper user from a list on the left of the screen, then click "Sign In" and everything is fine. That first user is not in my list of users. How do I stop that first user (non-user) from showing up at startup and, instead, startup with the desired user?

:)

2. List of User names at startup

That box was already checked. I unchecked it and then rechecked it but there is still no user list on startup. It still goes directly into the last user that was signed in.

Bruinfanjb, Aug 10, 2017
  3. List of User names at startup

I understand that when you boot the computer to the Start screen, on the left corner of the screen there should be the list of user accounts. What I am finding is that when I start the computer, it automatically logs in to the account for the last user
    that was on. For example, if I am using the computer and then shut it down then on the next startup it goes straight to my account without being able to select any other account.

Bruinfanjb, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  5. MWR
    mwr Win User
    Thanks, but (1) I'm not at all clear how to do that and (2) the user a want at startup doesn't require a username and passoword.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you check the box, you would just need to select the user on the sign-in screen to sign in to it.

If you wanted Windows to automatically sign in to the account, then you could check the box, and leave the password field blank for the account in netplwiz.

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  7. MWR
    mwr Win User
    Thanks so much. That worked1

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Startup user is not in user list - Similar Threads - Startup user user

2. switching users on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch user on my pc. I don't know what happen and I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-users-on-startup/b4967956-2429-40b0-8a86-f10d3748845f
  3. switching users on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch user on my pc. I don't know what happen and I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-users-on-startup/b4967956-2429-40b0-8a86-f10d3748845f
  4. switching users on startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch users on my pc, I've tried everything I could think of, from checking BIOS to running system scans to making sure he has admin privileges through regedit. PLEASE HELP...
  5. User startup error

in Windows 10 Customization
    User startup error: I am getting an error on bootup that says Location not available...c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ desktop is unavailable. Two people use this computer. This is only happening with one user. Any ideas how to fix it?...
  6. User not showing up on User list.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User not showing up on User list.: Hey, Recently my account got deleted from user list but every time i restart my PC i get the login screen to my account which was deleted from user list. Since i don't know the password, I tried using cmd.exe (admin) to change my password there with another account by doing...
  7. User name on Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User name on Startup: I have been struggling with this problem for sometime now. As my computer starts up and it shows the welcome screen it displays a name. I'm trying to change that name. I've tried many different approaches to change this and get it to stay permanently. On doing my research...
  8. List of users not showing at startup *and* login as other user also not showing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    List of users not showing at startup *and* login as other user also not showing: Here is my startup screen - as you can see it only allows the last user to Login. There is no way for any other users to login - they aren't listed and there isn't an option to login as another user. This used to work - I'm afraid I can't say exactly when it stopped - a few...
  9. Switching user at startup.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switching user at startup.: Hello, I inherited a laptop from my dad which I put Windows 10 onto last week. I know the admin username and password but not the login details of his girlfriend (Not on speaking terms). Unfortunately today, the laptop has decided to startup showing her account and is...
  10. Changing user at startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing user at startup: I attempted to login as Administrator unsuccessfully. I did a hard reboot but no am automatically logged as Administrator, unsuccessfully, of course. If I see alternate users, it flashes quickly. How can return to my normal user login? 99899