Windows 10: Static noise on all audio except when played through Groove Music

Discus and support Static noise on all audio except when played through Groove Music in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay, this is a really weird one. For the last 2 months I've been experiencing this reoccurring issue on my new Dell XPS 13 laptop where 1-2 times a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by severin, Nov 10, 2015.

1. severin Win User

Static noise on all audio except when played through Groove Music

Okay, this is a really weird one. For the last 2 months I've been experiencing this reoccurring issue on my new Dell XPS 13 laptop where 1-2 times a day, the audio will suddenly get extremely staticy. It generally will last at least 1 minute but sometimes significantly longer, and will affect all audio, including Windows alert sounds and even the "Playback device" test sound. This affects both the internal laptop speakers and any AUX device. I have not experienced the issue when audio is played through HDMI/DP, but I haven't been able to test it enough to know for certain.

However, there is one exception that I have only discovered today: the audio issue does NOT affect any files played through Win10's new default player, Groove. I have played exactly the same audio file on both VLC and Groove—even concurrently—to confirm.

I've posted a link below to an MP3 recording of it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...Ho5a3R5emUyS0k

I've spoken to Dell and we have tried countless fixes that I've tried to list below, but the problem persists:
    • Fresh reinstall of Windows
    • Replaced motherboard (twice?)
    • Uninstalled Realtek audio drivers
    • Updated BIOS
    • Tried changing all settings in the Realtek HD Audio Manager
    • Probably 4-5 other issues

Anyone got any fresh ideas?

Thank you!

:)

severin, Nov 10, 2015
  2. Ylloj Win User

groove music silent

Groove music is silent when it plays. There is no noise, but all other apps play sound. Speaker and headphones produce no sound. Lumia 950xl.

Ylloj, Nov 10, 2015
  3. grandpere Win User
    Audio Stream Replaced by Static High-pitched Noise

I have a solution--an easy one--for any person experiencing a change in their audio stream while using a DAC unit.

For several years, I have been using a DAC unit (digital analog converter) to play music from my computer through my sound system. I never had a problem with this setup until I recently built a new computer to replace the outdated one.

The issue: I was able to play music from my new computer through the DAC unit. However, unfailingly, after some length of time, the music was replaced by a high-pitched, static noise. I could see that the stream was still "live", but, the music was replaced
    by noise. After much tinkering, including disabling the computer's onboard audio, rechecking the defaults (default playback device was DAC with no enhancements from the computer) and considering the possibility that the new motherboard was faulty, I discovered
    that the driver for the onboard audio was not a Win 10 driver.

Solution: uninstall the onboard audio, restart computer and let Windows 10 find the new driver.

I have been running music through the DAC unit, uninterrupted by noise, for almost 12 hours. Much happiness.

grandpere, Nov 10, 2015
  4. severin Win User

*bump*
    Can anyone help where Dell support couldn't?

p.s. sorry if bumps aren't allowed, but I would be pretty grateful for a solution to this.

severin, Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Static noise on all audio except when played through Groove Music - Similar Threads - Static noise audio

2. No audio will play without Groove Music

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio will play without Groove Music: No audio will play from the computer speakers from any application unless a track is also playing in Groove Music. One I start a track in groove music audio from any other application will suddenly play. Once the audio is going I can turn off groove music and the audio will...
  3. Very loud, static shock noise when playing audio through earbuds after not playing for a while?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very loud, static shock noise when playing audio through earbuds after not playing for a while?: Long story short, I switched to a laptop that my friend had been using for college. After getting all of his documents off, I factory reset the PC, effectively making a clean windows installation like the day it was first booted.I'm having a problem with the system audio-- my...
  4. Static noise playing when sound is played

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Static noise playing when sound is played: For a while now, whenever I plug headphones in my Alienware laptop's headphone jack, my headphones will randomly start playing static noise whenever I play any audio. When the audio stops being played completely the static just stops and I hear a popping sound. When I plug in...
  5. Static noises / distortion in audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Static noises / distortion in audio: I have a problem with static noises / distortion in my speakers, after launching PC these noises appears right away while I play some videos or music. I found the only way to remove them - is restarting PC, after that, all noises disappears. But this solution is not enough...
  6. groove music player to play music through google hangouts

in Windows 10 Customization
    groove music player to play music through google hangouts: Hi, On My new June 2020 HP laptop windows 10 -I want to use google Hangouts or Skype to Teach English Language, BUT I need to share the screen and play audio track from my computer SO THE STUDENTS CAN HEAR IT, Mp3 tracks and When we watch something on Youtube for example....
  7. Constant Static noise when audio is paused!

Constant Static noise when audio is paused!: Hello! I'm new here, how do you do? *Nerd What I have right now is a fairly simple question, but a VERY important one for me; So, I have to record audio for video making purposes, and perhaps even voice acting work later on. I have a USB microphone, which doesn't really...
  8. Cortana - wont play music through groove

in Cortana
    Cortana - wont play music through groove: Hi microsoft. I have combed the searches for an hour now trying to get cortana to default to groove when i ask to play music from my library. Groove is all set up to play from my library and i can use cortana to "play music" once it's open but when i ask her to play a...
  9. Groove Music. Play All/Play Once

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Groove Music. Play All/Play Once: How do I switch between these options? New to GM and it insists on playing all. Pop says "Play All" but no indication as to how to switch to play once. To the point and simple please; Thanks, Don...
  10. Static Noises for Audio

Static Noises for Audio: Windows 10 Home 64bit, HP Pavilion dv7 When I play videos on Youtube or Vimeo or music on SoundCloud (which is as much as I tested), I hear a static sound. It happens the most often for YouTube, maybe 10 seconds, and less often for Vimeo and SoundCloud. This impacts...