Windows 10: Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard

Discus and support Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had an oem win7 install that was 'free upgrade' to win10 and under the licence status it now says ....Windows is activated with a digital licence....... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by quarkrad, Jul 10, 2017.

1. quarkrad Win User

Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard

I had an oem win7 install that was 'free upgrade' to win10 and under the licence status it now says ....Windows is activated with a digital licence.... My motherboard is faulty and needs replacing - I have two choices, I have a newer pc that I could use or buy a new pc/motherboard. My understanding is that when I rebuild the new machine with a fresh copy of win10, and the activation servers see my new motherboard, they will not activate win10 becuase their database says that my original win10 install was from a win7 oem base. So, if this is the case, I assume I have to buy a full retail version of win10. If this is the new case and I install on my other 'newer' machine, there is a possibility that could fail at some point and I would have to buy a new pc (bare bones system). When I install a fresh copy of win10 on this brand new machine there will not be problem because my last install was from a retail version of win10 so activation will not be a problem. Further to this scenario - there is a limit of three hardware changes for a retail version of win10. Confirmation much appreciated.

:)

quarkrad, Jul 10, 2017

2. Re activation of windows 10 home

If it was OEM licencing the licence lives and dies with the motherboard. New motherboard = new licence needed.

MarkInKent, Jul 10, 2017
  3. PC keeps crashing

If it was OEM licencing the licence lives and dies with the motherboard. New motherboard = new licence needed

MarkInKent, Jul 10, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no limit to the number of hardware changes for a retail version of Windows 10. That is exactly why it is more expensive. (Not to mention it violates the EULA - End Users License Agreement - to purchase an OEM System Builder's Edition of Windows 10 and use it for personal use.) There is a limit of three times you can copy the Windows 10 digital license by going through a Microsoft Account and using the Activation Troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

NavyLCDR, Jul 10, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    I recently upgraded my MB, CPU & memory & had to call Microsoft in India to get Windows 10 License restored. Took about 1/2 hour but they were helpful.

GARoss, Jul 10, 2017
  6. quarkrad Win User
    Thank you - I have read that link but to be honest I'm still not sure. If I put in a new motherboard, or buy a new pc, load a free install of win10 (from the microsoft site) will it be activated or will I have to purchase a new retail licence (because my original win7 was oem)?

quarkrad, Jul 10, 2017
  7. Superfly Win User
    What's confusing? Save the current digital licence to your MSA - then on new hardware, Activation toubleshooter will register a new digital licence that had been associated with your MSA registered digital licence.

Superfly, Jul 10, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

How do you save your license on to your MS Account?

swarfega, Jul 10, 2017
  9. quarkrad Win User
    When I read these sorts of statements I'm confused:

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

My original software was oem win7 that is now win10. The above text seems to say to me that I cannot re-activate on a new motherboard.

quarkrad, Jul 10, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    I've done OEM Win7 and Win8/8.1 Upgrades to Win10 without issue but I've not had to change the motherboard on the computers as they still worked fine. I'd say the issue is the OEM Product Key/License for Win7 through Win8.1 can't be used with the new motherboard and Win10 is picking up that issue. OEM versions are intended only for specific hardware or the first computer they are installed on, get tied to that machine and can't be moved. Changing certain things such as the motherboard makes a new/different machine.

Berton, Jul 10, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    From the link posted above:

That only applies to product key activation - as far as I am aware...

..and if that came directly from the EULA (as opposed to someome trying to interpret it) please post a link (even if so, it isn't being enforced and should be changed to reflect digital licensing requirements IMHO)

Superfly, Jul 10, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Once you have a digital license for Windows 10, you have a digital license for Windows 10 period. So far all digital licenses for Windows 10 have acted exactly the same, regardless of what the basis for that digital license is. 1. It will reactivate on the same computer (motherboard) without a product key by simply connecting to Microsoft Activation Servers (unless something else is wrong). 2. Starting in version 1607, it can be linked to a Microsoft Account and can be moved (it actually isn't moved, it's copied) to another computer (motherboard) using the Activation Troubleshooter and the same Microsoft Account. There has been found a limit of 3 moves allowed per digital license, found by experimentation of members here.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Still a Little Confused re Licence - new Motherboard - Similar Threads - Still Little Confused

2. A little confused about drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  3. A little confused about drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A little confused about drives.: I recently got a new laptop. Something I noticed was that my new laptop has less drives than the drives on old laptop. Is it supposed to be like this? Why does my new laptop only has local disk C, while my old laptop has DVD drive E, Recovery D, local disk C and an F drive?...
  4. Still confused

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Still confused: 1. Now if and when I upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 when it comes to activate it I am still unsure if one can use the activation key currently used for Windows 10 to activate Windows 11. 2. I have checked with Showkey Plus and have two keys listed - one as the installed key...
  5. A little confused !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A little confused !: Over the last few days I have been trying to find out why my laptop failed the "Windows 11 compatibility test ! It seems like the processer is not up to the required standard needed for Windows 11. I have also done the TPM check which as left me confused. If I type in the...
  6. New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?

New motherboard - Do I need a new win10 licence?: Hello all, very recently, my computer slurped up a malware and I had to wipe the hard drives and reinstall windows. On a whim, I decided to upgrade from win 7 to win 10 pro, so I bought a licence. At the same time I got a "great" idea of upgrading most of the PC hardware, so...
  7. New motherboard - windows 10 re-activation

New motherboard - windows 10 re-activation: Hi, just recently needed to replace my motherboard and now Windows thinks it's a new computer. I had Windows 10 pre-installed, so it is a digital license. When I try to troubleshoot and pick the option that I recently changed hardware, I always get the option Unable to...
  8. re-use a digital licence in a new computer

re-use a digital licence in a new computer: Hello Everyone I got a new computer and installed windwos 10 pro .. my question is that : can you use the digital licence ( the same version of windows) which I had in my old laptop ( which I formatted) in the new one? thanks...
  9. Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard: Hello, My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from windows 7. My PC is broken - I suspect its the motherboard and the hard drive is still working. Am I able to buy another machine, put in the old hard drive (if still working) and still use my existing windows 10...
  10. Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV: Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance? Can I use the...