Windows 10: Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?

Discus and support Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recall years ago with XP I could send messages to other computers on the network. It would appear as a black box. What I don't recall is how this was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AshleyQuick, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?

I recall years ago with XP I could send messages to other computers on the network. It would appear as a black box. What I don't recall is how this was accomplished.

Is this still available with Windows 10? I have the Pro version.

Also, if it is available, will it only appear on other Windows devices?

:)

AshleyQuick, Nov 18, 2017

2. Is There a Way to View Other Computers and their IP Addresses on the Network Using the Command Prompt?

Like the title says, I'm wondering if there's a command in Command Prompt that displays a list of computers on a network with their correlating IP addresses. I'm currently going to college, and I usually set a static IP address. The problem is there are
    hundreds of other students, and setting an IP address without causing a collision is blind chance. I'm wondering if there's a way for me to view the other student's IP addresses so that I would be able to see which ones are taken, and be able to set a static
    IP address with much less guesswork.

Thank you for your help!

Sergeant Extreme, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Is There a Way to View Other Computers and their IP Addresses on the Network Using the Command Prompt?

Hi,

Your Windows question is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited in the TechNet Community.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?

The msg command is a Command Prompt command that's used to send a message to one or more users on the network.

When the msg command is triggered, a prompt is displayed on the machine(s) that it was sent to that shows the message as well as the sender's username and the time that the message was sent.

Ope Command Prompt in Windows 10 by typing cmd.exe into Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Execute following command to view Msg command parameters.

Code: Msg /?[/quote]

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Yes there are plenty of ways. All that you see used in offices these days are email. Even with cellphones in the pockets of everyone, those cannot be trusted, just like other ways that there may not be physical logging. Just roll your own on this.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network?

1. Still a way to send messages to other computers on the network? - Similar Threads - Still send messages

2. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  3. see other computers on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    see other computers on network: I have tried many of the recommendations online, but none seem to work.Surely there is a way to make transfering files from one computer to another possible, using my home network.Thanks for help.greg...
  4. Send message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Send message: Hi, can windows 10 pro send message like in windows XP using net send? I read from the forum that we can send message using command prompt msg * /server:servername "text". But when i try that there's error "5 error getting names" i already change...
  5. Messaging to the other computer on home network

Messaging to the other computer on home network: I need the Win 10 home syntax to send a text message to my wife's laptop. Her computer name isasus_laptop and mine is jack-pc. We're both on the home network. Not sure what other information is needed. Also not sure if the command is NET or NET SEND. Both seem to be viable....
  6. Laptop looses connection to other network computers internet still working

Laptop looses connection to other network computers internet still working: My Thinkpad T590 is connected via Wifi to an Access Point, that has Internet connection and manages a local private network. When my laptop is connected with an ethernet cable to the AP I can see all network computers and network drives are working fine. However if I...
  7. How to send special message to remote computer?

How to send special message to remote computer?: Hello, I want to send a message to remote computer but I want this message look like shutdown message: [img] Can i do it? How? I know how to do it with the standard msg on command line but that doesn't satisfies me Please help... 129696
  8. Sending Email - continually get the messages sending or still working on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sending Email - continually get the messages sending or still working on it: Since 28 February when I send an email the email is sent to the recipient but accessing the email displays the dots across the top of the screen and I get the message 'sending' or 'working on it'. The email is in sent not the outbox . I cannot reply/reply all or forward...
  9. the other computer in our network can no longer send things to me

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the other computer in our network can no longer send things to me: We have a home network. Since the latest update, the other computer can't network to mine. How do we fix this? We've looked at all the settings we can think of and still can't get his computer to connect to mine. I can send things his way still. We'd really appreciate...
  10. Sending a message to a other PC over the network

Sending a message to a other PC over the network: Hey! I was wondering if anyone know how to send a message over the network to a pc? On the same network ofc, I tried this on my NUC "Net send Strix_V3 hello" and it didn`t show up anything on my laptop. I don`t want any third party software. And, I`ve set up my NUC as a...