Windows 10: Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap

Discus and support Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm desperate for help. I got a computer some months ago (used) with a Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard and a Intel i5 2500k CPU. It worked fine and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Parafoil456, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap

Hi, I'm desperate for help.
    I got a computer some months ago (used) with a Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard and a Intel i5 2500k CPU.
    It worked fine and I got a good noctua CPU fan to overclock it and mine some cryptocurrencies.
    I OC:ed it to 4.4 gHz and left it to mine on 4 threads a couple of days. Second day when I get home the computer crashed when I started a game, blackscreen (screen lost connection). Second time I started it the game had a cropped resolution. It crashed at random when I was on my desktop screen opening 2 programs at once.
    When I ran the "Startup repair" I got this:

Startup Repair Couldn't repair yout PC.
    Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

What I've tried is resetting BIOs by removing the motherboard battery, unplugging power cable and holding the power button for 15 seconds, swapped the HDD to a new one with a fresh install of windows 10, removed GPU and I'm still getting the SrtTrail.txt. Very strange.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks.

:)

Parafoil456, Feb 28, 2017
  2. KenYK Win User

Not able to boot after recovery from Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 for ASUS K52J

HELP!!

After months of Windows 10 pushing me to upgrade from Windows 7, I have attempted to do so but regretted immediately.

I have actually make a copy of my existing HDD. Installed the clone HDD on my ASUS laptop. Start up Windows 7 no issue and proceed with Windows 10 upgrade.

After hours of download and upgrade process - I get blank screen with no cursor issue (very common). I hard reset the laptop to trigger the system to roll back to old OS. However, on rolled back, my laptop cannot boot up anymore - prompting no boot device
    found.

Thinking that I am lucky to have my original HDD that I can get back to. To my surprise, swapping back the original HDD (Windows 7) cannot be booted up as well.??!!

Has Windows 10 upgrade changed my hardware or BIOS?? I tried reset my BIOS to default but still no luck.

I have used various partition tools as sees that the partitions are there and files are accessible if I plug my HDD via USB of other working laptop. However, I just cannot make the HDD to boot of my ASUS laptop anymore.

Given that I used to be able to boot from both my original HDD/SSD and the clone one before Windows 10 upgrade, I don't believe it is software related. I used to have issue booting up on my other laptop due to BIOS corruption. Is it possible that Windows
    10 upgrade is affecting my laptop BIOS????

KenYK, Feb 28, 2017
  3. Welkin76 Win User
    Windows Media Creation Tool: Error Code 0x80072ee7 - 0x20000

Ok that one was a step backwards, now even my current HDD fails to boot. BIOS can still see the HDD but so far I cant find what settings I might have changed to cause the HDD to fail to boot.

Welkin76, Feb 28, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap

What is the frequency and voltage of the CPU?

Please provide some more specs of your system to help us help you, like PSU, cooling, case, GPU, etc.
    Have a look at my system specs for an example *Smile

axe0, Mar 1, 2017
  5. Of course,

CPU Frequency: 3300 MHZ
    Voltage (from BIOS),
    CPU 1.104V
    3.3V - 3.360V
    5V - 5.040V
    12V - 12.000V

I’ve played games and mined for hours and days, the problem started 2-3 days into overclocking it.
    I went after this guide when overclocking: Intro to Overclocking With a ASUS P8Z68 Chipset - YouTube (OC:d to 4400 MHZ, same settings as the guy)

I did a burn test after overclocking, before leaving it on mining and it topped at 84 Celsius with Intelburntest during 1 hour. It topped at 73 Celsius when mining with 4 cores.
    (This was in the past, I reset all BIO:s after it crashed the first time)

System Manufacturer/Model Number: Custom build
    CPU: i5-2500k
    CPU cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 Dual Fan
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX (reset BIOs by removing battery overnight and problem remains)
    BIOs version: 0602
    Memory: 2x crucial ballistix sport 16gb ddr3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s): GeForce GTX 570 (GainWard) GS 1280M GDDR5 320B Dual-DVI HDMI DP (removed and problem remains)
    Sound Card: intel
    Displays: Sony LCD TV
    Hard Drives: Western Digital WD5000AAKK 500GB (Swapped from a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and the problem remains)
    PSU: Corsair TX650
    Case: Fractal Define S

I also had some extra Firewire ports hooked to a PCI slot (Bought cheap from eBay and the problem remains after removing the card)

Parafoil456, Mar 1, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Have you made any upgrades to your system or replaced any parts, outside of the already mentioned things?
    AFAIK, and per the provides specs, you may have an issue between your RAM and CPU & mobo due to DDR3 support (unless it is a typo?)

axe0, Mar 1, 2017
  7. No, the only upgrades I've done since I got the machine second hand is the case and CPU-cooling, everything worked perfectly until I started overclocking.
    Yeah sorry thats a typo, the RAMs are DDR3:s.

It's strange because default hardware tests tells me everything is fine and I still get this SrtTrail.txt error even though every possible reset is made on the software-side. Time to buy a new computer I guess.

Parafoil456, Mar 1, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

Could you increase the CPU voltage to 1.2V.

axe0, Mar 1, 2017
  9. The BIOs panel and AI tweaker section in BIOs tells me different values. Panel said 1.104 and AI tweaker section 1.165. I typed +35 in settings section to get 1.200 which made me 1.136 V on the panel. Still got the SrtTrail.txt message. Any clues?

Parafoil456, Mar 2, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    What if you type +96 in the panel?

11. Still getting SrtTrail.txt when running the test. Should I try to reset windows 10 again with the new BIOs?

Parafoil456, Mar 2, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Could you make a photo/screenshot of the BIOS settings in the panel and AI Tweaker of the CPU settings?

13. Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap

Here, thanks
    Attachment 123473Attachment 123474Attachment 123475

Parafoil456, Mar 2, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Alright, what are the memory frequency, timing and voltage?

15. Frequency: ~802.7-816.5 MHz
    Timing: 9.0,9,9,24,39, 1T - 2T (from one reboot to another).
    Voltage: 1.50

I also noticed my cores are at ~90 Celsius without working on anything except for CPU-Z ...

Parafoil456, Mar 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap - Similar Threads - Still getting SrtTrail

2. HDD NOT DETECTED EVEN BY BIOS AFTER FAILED DISK FORMAT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD NOT DETECTED EVEN BY BIOS AFTER FAILED DISK FORMAT: Today i installed a new hdd to my pc, i went to disk management and it was unallocated so I formatted it, when it was formatting disk management stopped responding and it closed, when i went to disk management again it didnt even show up, I looked in bios and it is not...
  3. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  4. Srttrail problems

Srttrail problems: i was working with two pc, a notebook and a desktop, and the notebook was having some problems that didn't let me boot propperly in any way, so i take out the HDD and connect it to the desktop to see if it has bad sectors or anything, the answer was no, after that, when i...
  5. Still getting BSOD after reset, then recover then re-install of Windows 10 after failed...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Still getting BSOD after reset, then recover then re-install of Windows 10 after failed...: After KB4549951 update first failed after attempting to update in the program, my machine started to BSOD, giving a different common stop error code each time. Tried uninstalling the update, but that didn't fix it. After about 5 minutes or less sometimes immediately after log...
  6. srttrail error

srttrail error: i’ve already tried the bootrec.exe commands and it returns something like “0 windows installations detected” “operation successful” and “access denied” and it won’t chkdsk c: drive...
  7. activation fails after mainboard swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activation fails after mainboard swap: Hi I have recently had a mainboard failure. I swapped the board out and at the same time reinstalled Win 10 and now it will not accept my Win 10 Key what can I do ?...
  8. HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS: Earlier today I attempted to transfer some data from one HDD to another. At exactly 78% of the way through, it gave me an error, "the destination you have specified does not exist". Then the drive disappeared from This PC. Also, would not show in disk management or disk part....
  9. HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ?: Had a recent previous thread where my bios post would freeze at F2 or Del screen for options. (cant get by innitial bios start screen - Windows 10 Forums) Turns out the HHD that was failing (my storage drive) was the culprit - when I disconnect it the system posts and...
  10. Stuck restarting after failed factory reset, reset still not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck restarting after failed factory reset, reset still not working: Getting an infinite loading sort of error where my comp goes to HP loading screen, blackscreen, turns off, and repeats. Very annoying and nothing I've seen so far is working. I don't have a disk or drive to use to reload Windows with, and I didn't set any system restore...
Tags: