Windows 10: Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!

Discus and support Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just bought a pre-loved laptop for Mrs (Sheelba, as I like to think of her) for our 34th Wedding anniversary. She already has a pre-hated android... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fafhrd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!

Just bought a pre-loved laptop for Mrs (Sheelba, as I like to think of her) for our 34th Wedding anniversary. She already has a pre-hated android tablet which she won't use 'cos it hates her back too!

I saw the Dell Latitude E6400 on Tuesday, and bought it the next day, having read several magazine reviews online, which frankly were quite misleading. Dell had sent pre-production machines to various popular computing titles, and the hardware on these bits of kit were somewhat superior to the machines which actually reached the market, with better processors and GPUs on board, and other devices which the production machines did not have. It's still a nice solid business machine with a good keyboard though, and a magnesium alloy case, and a pleasingly good battery life, so far approaching 3.5 hours.It was bought for a penny less than a hundred quid, from a Pawnbrokers (Cash Converters) with Windows 7 Pro reinstalled by the Cash Converters staff, in fairly good nick, apart from a few cosmetic scratches and the odd missing case screw, (I think - "Warranty void if broken!" labels prevent inspection of some screw positions) and about 1,000 missing Windows 7 updates - well - about 70 so far. Once I had allowed Dell to scan the machine and install the updated BIOS & drivers it worked like a dream - before having Dell drivers, the touchpad and other pointing tools just weren't responsive enough. I ought to get a job with them kicking their pawned Computers into shape.

Oh, and it has to be returned to Cash Converters under guarantee, because whoever took it apart last seems to have disconnected the CMOS battery, so if the main battery is removed, it loses date and time settings. I would do It myself, but I don't want to break the terms of the 6 month guarantee, although I also want to consider a SSD and memory upgrade soon. Perhaps They will do the upgrade for me when they fix the battery.
    I used DISM++ to clean install Windows 10 1607 in just under 30 minutes to apply the Windows 10 image and go through the OOBE:

Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7! [​IMG]

in an empty formatted native-boot VHD without issue, and on starting it up, it had a digital license, so someone had already installed Windows 10 on the Dell before it was returned to Windows 7 Professional. For me it was a free upgrade.

So I may have to take an image of the Windows 7 and wipe it from the disk. Still, I think it was a good purchase overall.

:)

Fafhrd, Apr 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 10 Preview?

Upgraded from win 7 to win 10 preview. Will I still get free upgrade to win 10? Do I have to revert to Win 7 first? Help!

Lawrence1000, Apr 19, 2017
  3. AH&AH Win User
    can I still get a free upgrade from win 7 to win 10?

Can I still get a free upgrade from win 7 to win 10?

AH&AH, Apr 19, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Cheers! Nice job.*Thumbs

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7! - Similar Threads - Still end free

2. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  3. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?: My partner has Windows 7 installed on her PC. It also has a nasty virus. I want to erase her hard drive and upgrade to Windows 10. I've read articles that indicate the upgrade is still free, if done through Windows updates. I can't find anything confirming that it's still...
  4. Free upgrade from Win 7 to Win10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  6. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  7. Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?

Win 7 preinstalled with download rights: still Free upgrade to Win 10?: Hi, I bought a laptop a few years ago with: Window® 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64 Can I still upgrade to win 10 for Free? Thanks....
  8. I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE

I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE: I UPGRADED FROM WIN 7 FOR FREE. SCREEN BROKE ON MY LAPTOP SO I PLACED MY HARD DRIVE IN AN IDENTICAL LAPTOP. NOW WINDOWS IS NOT ACTIVATED. ANY WAY TO FIX THIS OR DO I HAVE DO BUY IT NOW?...
  9. Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting

Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting: My wife finally cracked and asked me to get her Laptop upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for free - it was July 27. Clicked on the white windows upgrade icon in the system tray and was advised that the upgrade had been reserved/confirmed. I'm not usually impatient and I guess...
  10. GOt a few problems with free upgrade of Win 10 from Win 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GOt a few problems with free upgrade of Win 10 from Win 7: It's been a while since I did this. I decided to upgrade to Win 10 from a licensed version of Win 7. I should have read up on it better when I did it cause I think I totally screwed it up. It went through the upgrade process and installed. Win 10 was working. When I went for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 can i still updrage from win 7