Windows 10: Still waiting for the Anniversary update

Discus and support Still waiting for the Anniversary update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, After multiple unsuccessful attempts to install the Anniversary update (including from an ISO file), Windows Update has now stopped proposing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Samoreen, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Samoreen Win User

Still waiting for the Anniversary update

Hi,

After multiple unsuccessful attempts to install the Anniversary update (including from an ISO file), Windows Update has now stopped proposing this update. It continues to regularly update version 1511 (e.g. I got a Flash Player update yesterday) but nothing related to the Anniversary update is proposed.

I'm not in a hurry but I'm just wondering whether something is broken on my system.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Samoreen, Oct 30, 2016
  2. MainSoft Win User

Thanks but that's not the question : as mentioned in my OP, I already tried with an ISO file and the update also failed.

My question is about why WU, after this series of update failures, no longer proposes the update to the Anniversary version while continuing to regularly update version 1511 (which seems to demonstrate that Windows Update is working correctly on my system).

MainSoft, Oct 30, 2016
  3. MainSoft Win User

Hi,

After multiple unsuccessful attempts to install the Anniversary update (including from an ISO file), Windows Update has now stopped proposing this update. It continues to regularly update version 1511 (e.g. I got a Flash Player update yesterday) but nothing
    related to the Anniversary update is proposed.

I'm not in a hurry but I'm just wondering whether something is broken on my system.

Thanks in advance.

MainSoft, Oct 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, sorry to hear that. However, it may also be a reprieve, as a good number experience difficulties after upgrading.

Please try two routine procedures:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

then from an admin command prompt
    sfc /scannow
    This will take some time; note the result and post back.

So I suggest if you have not already done so, start routinely creating disk images and updating them, something we repeatedly and strongly recommend. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free). This gives you a chance to recover from many disastrous situations.

Please read this guide
    Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors
    which explains, suggests, and points to log file you might look at.

Then try again with your iso and note the error message. Search for that error message- here in this forum and generally.

dalchina, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Samoreen Win User
    Hi dalchina,

I'm a former system engineer and Windows developer. I know all these procedures, I tried them as well as all recommended fixes found here and on the Microsoft site. No way.

Now, I'm just trying to understand why the update is no longer proposed. I guess it's because of the multiple failed attempts.

Samoreen, Oct 31, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    ...then you'll appreciate this recently updated resource - the most detailed guide to the upgrade process I've seen to date ( @Brink may want to bookmark this one).
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...upgrade-errors

7. MartinO Win User
    I haven't had a need to use it myself, but what about downloading it directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog? Is that what you meant by ISO file? What happens if you force the update this way?

MartinO, Oct 31, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 31, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    As mentioned, you may not want it *Smile

Shawn will know what`s best.

AddRAM, Oct 31, 2016
  10. Samoreen Win User
    Samoreen, Oct 31, 2016
  11. Samoreen Win User
    Hi,

With exception of a clean install, I have tried all possible ways to install Windows 10 Anniversary. No way. A clean install is not an option. Rebuilding my system would take too much time. I can't afford this.

Samoreen, Oct 31, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Unfortunately, when someone as experienced as you states they have tried all possible ways, trying to think of an appropriate suggestion becomes difficult, as any such is likely to get a response like 'I've tried that already... next please', as you've not stated what you've tried. Witness your response to mine.

So I suggest it will be up to you to provide further information such as information from a log file or a failure message. You do have suggestions above as to where to look.

I hesitate therefore to check that you are using disk imaging or similar to protect your system before risking all in trying to apply the anniversary upgrade, and to ask if you've trying the upgrade without accepting updates at the same time.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  13. MartinO Win User

Windows 10)

I'm assuming this version may or may not include the latest CU, but certainly the anniversary update. You say you've tried ISO before, would that be the second option using the media creation tool then? Again, what exactly happened when you tried either route? The first option using the media creation tool was what worked for me. Like you, I had no time for a clean install, so I ran it over my existing Windows.

Still waiting for the Anniversary update [​IMG]

MartinO, Oct 31, 2016
  14. Samoreen Win User
    Hi,

I just found a few posts explaining that the 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 error that I get after each upgrade attempt, can occur on systems equipped with an Intel i3, i5 or i7 (I have a 4-core i7). I have been told that the workaround is to set the processor in mono mode (by disabling the additional cores) before launching the upgrade.

I will not even try. If an OS is unable to upgrade itself on a system using a processor that caused absolutely no problem with previous Windows versions, then not only the installer or the new OS are buggy but even in the case of a successful installation, I'll consider the new version as risky. If it cannot deal with my processor when installing, I'm sure that other problems are to be expected after the installation.

I think I'll probably wait until Microsoft has fixed this dubious Anniversary upgrade.

Samoreen, Oct 31, 2016
  15. MartinO Win User
    "Risky"? Lol. Well you do you, bro

MartinO, Oct 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Still waiting for the Anniversary update - Similar Threads - Still waiting Anniversary

2. Still waiting for Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Still waiting for Windows 11 update: Hello there, when downloading the pc health check app it said I was compatible for a free upgrade of Windows 11, but I have waited for at least 1 month and the upgrade is still not there, I was told not to download windows 11 assistant as it is not recommended and to just...
  3. Still waiting for Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Still waiting for Windows 11 update: Hello there, when downloading the pc health check app it said I was compatible for a free upgrade of Windows 11, but I have waited for at least 1 month and the upgrade is still not there, I was told not to download windows 11 assistant as it is not recommended and to just...
  4. Still waiting for Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Still waiting ??

Still waiting ??: Hello --- I have a laptop that is just a few years old and as of this post, it is still waiting for win 10 / build 2004 --- my other computers that are much older, already have the 20H2 build applied --- what could be holding this up? what could be the down-side of...
  6. Are people still waiting on the 2004 update?

Are people still waiting on the 2004 update?: My Windows Update still tells me: The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page. As we're in the end of September I was wondering whether I was the only one still waiting for this update....
  7. Still waiting for the 2004 update

Still waiting for the 2004 update: Does anyone have a clear timeline for when the Windows 10 2004 update will be available for all platforms. I run a daily update check. The message concerning the 2004 update which shows on the update page has changed a bit since early May. The current one reads "The...
  8. Anniversary update still not received

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary update still not received: I still haven't received the automatic Anniversary update. If I download the update from support.microsoft, it always stops around 70 % with the notification "page fault in nonpaged area", and system returns to version 1511. What can I do ? Because I can't install it, I'm...
  9. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...
  10. Still waiting for the update

Still waiting for the update: Here's the thing. I've registred my computer for a Windows 10 upgrade only last week. I'm still not having any notification about when I'll receive that upgrade. How long do I still have to wait ? Thanks... 17371