Windows 10: Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators

Discus and support Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I came across this new behavior a couple days ago and thought I did something screwy to my image. I read Bree's post and found it's an intended feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by harvey263, Dec 8, 2017.

1. harvey263 Win User

Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators

I came across this new behavior a couple days ago and thought I did something screwy to my image. I read Bree's post and found it's an intended feature now on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

That thread has some good suggestions for alternate shutdown methods. The intention of this tutorial is to restore pre-1709 (like) functionality to the normal Restart and Shut down buttons in the Start menu.

Since the default reboot behavior uses the shutdown.exe slash G switch - applications that are left open will attempt to "register" themselves to be re-opened. This is done by creating a RunOnce value at logoff, so you won't see it while online. Not all apps are capable of registering themselves in this way and can't be re-opened automatically.

In the below screenshot I have left a few programs open, shutdown the computer, then booted to WinPE and loaded my HKCU hive in regedit. You can see the apps that are going to be re-opened once I boot back up, each named like "Application Restart".

Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators [​IMG]

The script below will remove every value starting with "Application Restart #"
    Code: $HKCURunOnce='HKCU:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce' (Get-ItemProperty $HKCURunOnce).PSObject.Properties | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "Application Restart #*"} | ForEach {Remove-ItemProperty -Path $HKCURunOnce -Name $_.Name}[/quote]
    You can set this as a user logoff script in gpedit or gpmc, or use the attached scripts:

-Extract "NoApplicationRestart.zip"
    -Run "NoApplicationRestart_INSTALL.bat"

I have tested this with Enterprise and Pro, not sure if Home supports the group policy side of it all. You will need local admin permission to make the required changes.

:)

harvey263, Dec 8, 2017
  2. E.R_534 Win User

how to disable reopening programs after restart

How to disable re-opening programs after restart

this behavior started after upgrading to creator fall 1709

it will be useful to have clear desktop after restart

Thanks

E.R_534, Dec 8, 2017
  3. Xbox DVR [Problem]

-From Windows 10 fall creators

-force stop Xbox app and re open it lowing the settings

-i can't since its an system app

EliasBarhoum, Dec 8, 2017
  4. Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators

I remove all startup entries at shutdown and RadeonSettings.exe still started, only using shutdown command helped.

TairikuOkami, Dec 8, 2017
  5. harvey263 Win User
    I have removed this attachment from my original post because I realized the install batch was not working after testing some more. Do this instead:
    copy this code into Notepad and save it as "NoApplicationRestart.ps1"
    Code: $HKCURunOnce='HKCU:Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce' (Get-ItemProperty $HKCURunOnce).PSObject.Properties | Where-Object {$_.Name -like "Application Restart #*"} | ForEach {Remove-ItemProperty -Path $HKCURunOnce -Name $_.Name}[/quote]
    Open "gpedit.msc" and go to User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Logon/Logoff)
    Open Logoff Properties and click the "PowerShell Scripts" tab
    Click "Add" then "Browse" and select the "NoApplicationRestart.ps1" file
    gpedit will look in "C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logoff" by default, but you can save it elsewhere.
    Click OK to save it. Then you can leave a few apps open and restart the computer to test if it's working.

I wish I could have edited my original post. Not sure if I'm being dense, but can't find the pencil button anywhere. *sarc
    EDIT: ah, probably just too late to edit the first one

harvey263, Dec 8, 2017
  6. harvey263 Win User
    How are you calling OFF.bat? If by "remove all startup entries at shutdown" you mean it is a Shutdown script (like below), that won't work.

The "Application Restart" RunOnce values get created after a Computer Shutdown script is run. You need to run it as a User Logoff script instead. I have an AMD card as well but don't seem to have RadeonSettings.exe installed to test that specific application. You should inspect your offline registry after shutting down to confirm what your batch file is actually accomplishing.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, Computer Shutdown scripts are run as the System account. So the reason that method doesn't work is because the wrong HKCU hive is being targeted. I'd still be curious to know how you are running your batch.

harvey263, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators

1. Stop apps from re-opening after shutdown/restart- 1709 Fall Creators - Similar Threads - Stop apps opening

2. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  3. Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!: I have a problem where every time I restart my computer, Chrome opens a new window. Either it'll open my previous tabs, or if I beat it to it, it'll open a new window. This happens about 1 minute after logging in. I know that Win10 devs, in all their glorious lack of...
  4. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) don't show update and restart: Hi! When Windows update has just installed all the pending updates, the start menu don't show the option "update and restart", only "restart", "shutdown" and "sleep". It's normal?? I have Windows 10 PRO Fall Creators Update 64 bits. Thanks! 99293
  5. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  6. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  7. After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared: The Verizon WWAN connection works if no Ethernet present and Wifi is off. Plug in Ethernet cable (static or dhcp to non internet router) and the Cellular connection changes to private so we lose internet. If I turn on wifi and connect it to a non internet router - then the...
  8. on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

in Windows 10 Support
    on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before: After a Restart, all the apps that I had open and running before shutting down are reopened (and all tabs in a browser, if that's one of the apps that was open before). In Creators Update this didn't happen, apps were closed on shutting down and stayed that way on a restart....
  9. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  10. Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709: I installed the FCU 1709 today. About an hour ago, I was looking at my C: drive properties and I lost about 20 GB's with the install. Are there some very large download/install files on my C: drive that can be deleted now ? My C: drive is SDD 128 GB and before the install, I...