Windows 10: Stop asking How do you want to open this file

Discus and support Stop asking How do you want to open this file in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SaladGoat, Mar 23, 2018.

1. SaladGoat Win User

Stop asking How do you want to open this file

This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file?

It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK.

These are file types that are already associated with programs. And yes, I do know how to do that.

All the searching I've done on this topic only tells how to associate file types with programs. But this is happening with files that are already associated with programs.

If there is a setting available to instruct Windows to honour the file type associations already set, that would be great, but I am not averse to editing the Registry or harmlessly deleting whatever program keeps asking this. I recently renamed wmprph in order to prevent it showing "previews" of music files. If there is a program I can rename or delete in order to stop Windows from always asking, that's fine.

In short, knowing that all file types are already associated, how do I get Windows to stop asking this?

Thanks!

:)

SaladGoat, Mar 23, 2018

2. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image.

Hi,

It's odd that you keep on getting the pop-up of "How do you want to open this file" even you already tick the "Always use this app to open the...". If we're going to look at it, the startup programs or software could have been the reason. However, you already
    tried the clean boot environment to no avail. We suggest that you replicate the concern is
    safe mode and see if the issue persists. You can also create
    another user profile to test if it will be the same.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image.

When I try to open an image file (.png .jpg and so on), Windows keeps asking me "How do you want to open this file" like:

Stop asking How do you want to open this file [​IMG]

After clicking OK, the same dialog box pops again and again, no matter whether I click "Always use this app to open .jpg file" while the chosen software won't open.

This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files, other files are OK.

I can right click the image file and choose "open with", by which I can use specific software to open the file. However, it's so inconvenient.

I tried to set the default software in Windows Setting and tried a clean boot, but no avail.

Bluefissure, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

In my experience, if you've set your defaults and check marked 'Always use this program...', you should be okay;

However,
    If you've since installed another program that handles the same protocol, or

if you've since opened the same type of file with some other program, just once, it'll start asking you all over again.

Edwin, Mar 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop asking How do you want to open this file - Similar Threads - Stop asking open

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  6. How do you want to open this .js file? How can I stop this from asking?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you want to open this .js file? How can I stop this from asking?: Edge continues to ask what app to use to open files. How can this be stopped? **Moved from Settings and personalization / Market and language settings / Windows 10**...
  7. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  8. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image: This problem happen after April 2018 Update After I check "Always use this app to open .jpg files" and click OK.The same dialog box pops again and again This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files from applications: Thunderbird and uTorrent ***But...
  9. How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This"

in Browsers and Email
    How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This": I have Win10Pro (upgraded in place from Win8.1Pro) and every time I click on a link in an email, I get the "How Do You Want To Open This" dialog box. I always click on Internet Explorer and I always check the box "Always use this app" but I still get this dialog popping up...
  10. Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?'

Skype Keeps asking 'How do you want to open this file?': Every time I go to open a pic from Skype IM it asks me what app to open the file with. The problem there is no check box in the list of apps to say always use this app, so it asks every single time. Gets annoying after the first time. *Smile 21529