Windows 10: Stop HDD's switching off

Discus and support Stop HDD's switching off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there Is there anyway to stop HDD's from switching off after some period of inactivity I''m testing a media server and obviously I don't want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Feb 11, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Stop HDD's switching off

Hi there

Is there anyway to stop HDD's from switching off after some period of inactivity

I''m testing a media server and obviously I don't want to have to wait 30 secs or so (seems like that) while the HDD's spin up before serving files

I've changed all the power settings but seems to make no difference

(Latest version of W10 X64 pro).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2017

2. Please stop switching the button for saving photos etc whenever i connect a HDD to automatic

Please stop switching the button for saving photos etc whenever i connect a HDD to automatic

parshvamehta, Feb 11, 2017
  3. TDJ_LS29 Win User
    DPC Watchdog Violation - Windows 10

Hi Srimadhwa

Thank you for your reply.

The Lenovo C540 is an all-in-one model with motherboard, HDD, optical drive etc. built into the display. Consequently it is not possible to disconnect the screen. It is possible to switch the screen off and on and this indicates that there is a signal
    to the screen but no information is being sent. There is an HDMI output and I will plug that into my TV later.

However, when I switch on the PC only the monitor on/off indicator illuminates. Sometimes I can hear the HDD hunting momentarily, but then it stops and neither the HDD nor the Wi-Fi indicator lights are illuminated. This suggest to me that the PC is not
    booting.

I had created a Windows 10 64-bit Repair Disc on DVD and I switched on the PC with this disc in the optical drive. I can hear the optical drive start up but there is still nothing displayed on the screen and the optical drive soon stops spinning. Can Microsoft
    send me some files that will allow me to create a boot disk on a USB flash drive?

I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I removed the wireless USB wireless adaptor and tried switching on, but the result was the same. The initial HDD noise lasts for a very short time and the the monitor light is then extinguished but the power light
    is still illuminated. If I press the power button again something starts up, possibly the fan, but there is no indication of HDD activity.

I will keep you posted on the results of plugging in my TV, but I don't hold out much hope.

Trevor Jenkins

TDJ_LS29, Feb 11, 2017
  4. z3r010 Win User

Stop HDD's switching off

Did you set it to never in the power options?

Stop HDD's switching off [​IMG]

z3r010, Feb 11, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I had all those settings changed -- but what fixed it was to switch to HIGH PERFORMANCE rather than the standard (default) one

Not sure if that's a Windows error but giving options that don't seem to work IMO counts as a defect .

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    The whole power options is a bit of a mess, you'll find the option for switch off in more than one drop down box so it can look like it's set yet the other setting overrides the one you set. As you have discovered it's better to use the broad brush setting like high performance as it seems to get all the options set

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Stop HDD's switching off

1. Stop HDD's switching off - Similar Threads - Stop HDD's switching

2. C Drive switched to HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive switched to HDD: Hello i need help I accidentally removed the permissions of my C drive which is an SSD and boots up windows. Doing this caused the C Drive to rename my HDD external Hard drive to the C Drive. Now when I boot up my pc it loads the desktop but only a black screen, nothing else....
  3. C Drive switched to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive switched to HDD: Hello i need help I accidentally removed the permissions of my C drive which is an SSD and boots up windows. Doing this caused the C Drive to rename my HDD external Hard drive to the C Drive. Now when I boot up my pc it loads the desktop but only a black screen, nothing else....
  4. HDD to SSD switch question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD switch question: I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop. I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand new) SSD. Do I need to do anything about alignment on the SSD, before or after? 170564
  5. ON/OFF SWITCHES

in Windows 10 Customization
    ON/OFF SWITCHES: When making settings, there are often "switches" in an oval shaped box. For example: - Automatically download updates is showing a clear background; the switch is in the L.H. side of the oval, and there is an 'off' at the side of the oval. Am I correct in assuming that this...
  6. Audio switching off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio switching off: I use an HDMI hub with 5 output ports to view on a Samsumg 55 inch Smart TV One port from the PC One from Cable Box One from Firestick One from Xbox 1 Fifth port unused My problem is, that when I switch from Windows 10, to any of the other devices, the audio on the PC...
  7. PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC stops charging when it is switched on but charges fine when switched off.: Hello All, since the last update my HP Envy laptop will charge fine when switched off then without moving it I switch it on and it stops charging. I have tried all the self help online like: Three other charger cables. Uninstalling battery drivers. Changing power plan...
  8. Switching HdD's in Optiplex 9010

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching HdD's in Optiplex 9010: My main computer a Dell OptiPlex 9010 (which I’ve had for several years), has a C drive that is a 117 GB HdD. with 68.8 GB free. In the 2nd bay I installed 1.7 TB HdD with 404GB free that is used for storage. I bought a 2nd refurbed Dell Optilex 990 to transcode MP4’’s to...
  9. Laptop Switched Off, Screen Black, but Inside HDD or CPU still On

Laptop Switched Off, Screen Black, but Inside HDD or CPU still On: Hello Everybody, This topic i.e. "Laptop Switched Off but Inside HDD or CPU still On" is on the internet in almost all forums and i have browsed and surfed 50 of the key ones but none have offered a proper solution or maybe it is not working for my laptop. I have a...
  10. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...