Windows 10: Stop it from reassigning multimedia file types to Movies and TV?

Discus and support Stop it from reassigning multimedia file types to Movies and TV? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After installing the 64 bit version of Potplayer (the best performing player I've found for HEVC) and checking the options to assign all video types to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Galane, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Galane Win User

Stop it from reassigning multimedia file types to Movies and TV?

After installing the 64 bit version of Potplayer (the best performing player I've found for HEVC) and checking the options to assign all video types to it, Windows 10 threw a bit of a hissy fit.

It proclaimed there was a "problem" and reassigned ALL audio and video file formats to Movies and TV, even ones I had not selected to assign to Potplayer, and smugly spammed me with an individual notification for each one. This was a few days ago but it just informed me of another three or four media file types it has decided are going to be opened with Movies and TV.

Ho do I stop this irrational and unwanted behavior? Not the first time I've wanted to make Windows go sit in a corner until it understands what it's done wrong. Stop it from reassigning multimedia file types to Movies and TV? :p Bloody software, getting above its station. The user is the lord of the manor...

:)

Galane, Nov 24, 2016

2. How to play a Divx Movie in Nokia 5300,Help plz

You may need to transcode the DIVX file. Use Nokia PC Suite.

Open PC Suite. Open Multimedia Player, Open the Movie. If the Nokia Multimedia player can't play the movie then you don't have DIVX installed in your PC. Install the DIVX codec first. Then open Multimedia Player, open the movie, select Save As... and pick a
    format that's compatible with your device. (3GP unlimited should work)

el_loco---01, Nov 24, 2016
  3. Converting video files from media format to nokia format

Without knowing the format your video is, this may fail, but try this:

Open Nokia Multimedia Player(view multimedia icon in PC Suite)

Select File - Open and Locate the video in your PC and open it.

(Stop the video if it starts to play)

Click on the "disk &arrow" small icon in Multimedia Player and when saving it, select from the "select file type" the file type to be 3gp.

I would save the converted video first to my PC and then after conversion I would move it to my phone with PC Suite "file manager"

manta---01, Nov 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 24, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    As Dalchina said, Microsoft have tightened up on the way apps are allowed to set associations. Some system calls used previously are no longer allowed - an app that uses deprecated methods will trigger these notifications. One such app that I have is Office Starter 2010.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-2c36cdb1936c

Every time I use 'File.. Open..,' it seems to check default associations and trigger those notifications. The strange thing is that although Windows says it has reset .html, .avi, .mp4, etc. - none of them ever get reset from the defaults I have chosen for them. This is possibly because the defaults it resets them to are the ones I set using the approved methods (Settings, or 'Open with..' and ticking 'always use this app').

Try setting the file associations yourself rather than getting the app to do it for you. You will may find you still get notifications, but the reset will be to the associations you chose, not the Windows defaults.

6. Galane Win User
    Well isn't that *special*. Where do I send in a request to fix this "feature"?

Galane, Nov 25, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    To Pot Player - it's the way they set file associations that's using deprecated methods. Report it as a bug here...
    Feature Requests / Bug Reports

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop it from reassigning multimedia file types to Movies and TV? - Similar Threads - Stop reassigning multimedia

2. Stop autoplay in Movies & TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop autoplay in Movies & TV: How do you stop files from autoplaying in Movies & TV? I have a number of short video files that are only one or two seconds long, and it gets extremely annoying that I can't turn off the autoplay no matter what I try. I only want to watch one video file in a folder and not...
  3. Movies And TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Movies And TV: Hello There, Since I Have Reinstalled My Movies And TV App Whenever I Play A Video It Says "Cant Play Please try again. If the problem continues, visit https://support.microsoft.com to check for guidance.Error 0x800700ea I Watched The Same Video On Other Players Like...
  4. Movies and TV

Movies and TV: Hello, I have rented a few movies in the Microsoft Store on my PC, but I want to watch them on my phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7, is there any way I can watch the movies I bought on my phone? Is there a certain app I can download? I can't find the Movies and TV app...
  5. Movies & TV

Movies & TV: I have windows 10. Why are all the movies I rent EXPIRED on the same day as I rent them??? It all began on Dec. 07, 2019. The registry fix is impossibe> How do I get what I have PAID for??????...
  6. Movies & TV

in Windows 10 Customization
    Movies & TV: How do I stop Movies & TV application from starting alone when I put it into Pause? I stopped auto play in the Microsoft Store settings and it stills plays around 10 seconds after I put it in Pause. Thanks...
  7. movies & TV

movies & TV: When I play a movie I get the sound but the window is solid green, I can't see the video. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/movies-tv/451af57b-80ec-4dd0-8a40-9c47f2325f5f
  8. Movies and TV

in Windows 10 Support
    Movies and TV: I was reading an article and saw that Windows 10 has built-in Movie and TV APP. I have looked around but I don't see any such thing.. Presently I have HDMI cord from my PC to my TV and can watch movies from my PC to my TV using either VLC or K-lite. The issue as I see it is...
  9. No Display from Computer to TV or Multimedia

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Display from Computer to TV or Multimedia: I have a laptop that is running windows 10. The problem is that i cannot get my display to allow me to access a TV using the HDMI port or using the VGA port. What is wrong?...
  10. Movie & TV

Movie & TV: Hello, Movie & Tv do not read .mov video. It works on VCL, windows media player, itunes, Quicktime, but not Movie & Tv. Do you have a solution ? Thank you 27617