Windows 10: Stop Microsoft edge launching on start up?

Discus and support Stop Microsoft edge launching on start up? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; At least I assume it launches on start up since when I try to run ccleaner it says it will have to close edge and is that OK, if I say yes it simply... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by woldsweather, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Stop Microsoft edge launching on start up?

At least I assume it launches on start up since when I try to run ccleaner it says it will have to close edge and is that OK, if I say yes it simply hangs up forever on trying to close it. Does it launch automatically on start up? If so can I prevent this? Its not showing in my start up items BTW.

:)

woldsweather, Aug 26, 2015
  2. jetnova16 Win User

MICROSOFT EDGE

This is very strange, Microsoft Edge has always worked for me with the occasional stopping to responding and crashes where it has to be stopped through Task Manager. But today it won't launch whatsoever. I click on the icon I have on my desktop and nothing
    happens. I try it through the start menu and yet again nothing happens. I don't pin any thing to my Task Bar other than the Microsoft Windows Store and Skype. That way if I ever see the dreaded Critical Error Message: "Critical Error Start Menu and Cortana
    aren't working. We'll try fixing it for you the next time you sign in." I won't be stuck without my Task Bar.

Checking around I've also noticed that apparently Microsoft Edge doesn't seem to exist other than its icon, it isn't linking to any program for the icon to launch. As in there is no folder for Microsoft Edge.

Before I noticed Microsoft Edge was out like this, I got an error message trying to use the Microsoft Windows Store saying it too didn't exist. This is the first time ever I've seen such a problem with Microsoft Edge and even the Microsoft Windows Store.

jetnova16, Aug 26, 2015
  3. The start button and the metro apps stop responding.

* Original title: Surfacebook Start Menu

The Problem i am having is that from time to time. The start button and the metro apps stop responding. Also microsoft edge stop responding. The only way to fix it is to reboot the machine.

So i could be typing a paper then i can go to edge and navigate to a website like bing or google and once i try and close it by pressing the x nothing would happen. I am then unable to go to any different websites. I then try and go to start to try and launch
    a different program and the start menu stops responding.

Has anyone had this issue before and what steps can i do to stop this from keep happening.

La Var Blalock, Aug 26, 2015
  4. vw4ever Win User

Stop Microsoft edge launching on start up?

same here, this just started few days ago.. every time i start win 10, MS Edge is already open on the desktop, and the page that's open says something about wanting to tell me about new updates or features. i never use Edge so i don't understand why it's always open and running now whenever i start my pc. anyone having this issue?

vw4ever, Dec 5, 2017
  5. I hardly ever use it so I just let CCleaner do it's job.

Josey Wales, Dec 5, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    every time i start win 10, MS Edge is already open on the desktop

Open meaning the browser Edge has launched automatically ? Have you set your browser of choice to be the default ?

Sounds like Edge may be the Default. Go to Settings/Apps/Default/Web Browser and click your browser of choice.

torre, Dec 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    After a major update, such as the Fall Creators Update, Edge is supposed to open once on the first boot after the update to tell you what's new. It's always Edge that opens, regardless of your chosen default browser.

It may be that if you have Edge set to delete all browser history on close it may think it's the first boot every time you start Windows?

Bree, Dec 7, 2017
  8. vw4ever Win User

well it's stop for now, miraculously! thanks, no it wasn't set to default or to clear on exit. it would just already be open on that page, when i started win10, and got to the desktop. maybe a sticky key or something causing it while logging on, not sure.. fingers crossed it doesn't come back, thanks!!

vw4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop Microsoft edge launching on start up? - Similar Threads - Stop Microsoft edge

2. Microsoft Edge always launching on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge always launching on startup: Seemingly out of nowhere, Edge decided it would be nice to launch itself on bootup and it's been quite annoying. It's already disabled in Task Manager & in Settings yet somehow is still starting up whenever I boot up my computer and the first thing I see after login is the...
  3. Stop Microsoft Edge/Pop-ups from launching automatically with IE

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Microsoft Edge/Pop-ups from launching automatically with IE: Hello,we have around 100 Windows computers around the Czech Republic that run a web application that uses ActiveX to display a video stream from an IP camera. These computers are unattended, there is usually no mouse nor a keyboard connected to the computer.Our hope was and...
  4. Stop Microsoft Edge to start automatically with IE

Stop Microsoft Edge to start automatically with IE: Hello,we have around 100 Windows computers around the Czech Republic that run a web application that uses ActiveX to display a video stream from an IP camera. These computers are unattended, there is usually no mouse nor a keyboard connected to the computer.Our hope was and...
  5. Cannot stop powershell from launching at start up

Cannot stop powershell from launching at start up: I've done a few google searches and nothing seems to help. At start up, I have 2 blue screens of powershell displaying: 1. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe2. C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exeYesterday, I changed them from...
  6. Microsoft Edge won’t launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Edge won’t launch: Help! Microsoft Edge wont launch! I checked on the app and it just says modify. Inclick on it and nothing happens. Please I need this for school https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-wont-launch/5682131c-59e3-4387-a2a4-51f56ccf62cb
  7. Excel launching on start up

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel launching on start up: Anyone find office apps launching on start up recently? It’s doing it on both our machines. We have 365 and use excel most. We always ensure the program is shut when doing shutdown. It’s a small issue but slightly irritating to see it launch when logging in 134523
  8. Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 not launching: Hello, Recently, I updated the drivers on my laptop. I can open Microsoft Edge but its not loading. However, I am able to open my yahoo email. What are the steps I need to take? Thank You, Donna Conley...
  9. Microsoft Edge Start Up

Microsoft Edge Start Up: I have set (in Settings) MS Edge to open with a specific page (www.bbc.com.news). However, when I open it, it displays the pages I last had opened. If I then close it and re-open it, it behaves as expected by showing the specified page. I can't see why it's misbehaving -...
  10. Microsoft Edge will not start

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge will not start: When I click on Edge it shows the screen then closes..I looked in the event viewer and got this error message... Error Code -2147221165 This just started yesterday 15918

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge explorer start at start up

2. stop microsoft store starting up

3. edge start up on own

4. stop edge from starting up at start up,
  5. how to stop launching microsoft edge on start up,
  6. how to stop microsoft edge starting anstart up