Windows 10: Stop Rearranging My Desktop

Discus and support Stop Rearranging My Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear Windows 10, You've been out a while now, and I can't figure out why you rearrange my desktop whenever I plug a different monitor/tv into an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by catso, May 19, 2016.

1. catso Win User

Stop Rearranging My Desktop

Dear Windows 10,

You've been out a while now, and I can't figure out why you rearrange my desktop whenever I plug a different monitor/tv into an HDMI slot. My regular screen is 1080, and so is the TV that I occasionally plug in to watch some shows from the internet. What's the difference? Why do you continue to have this problem in 2016? Simple things like this annoy your everyday user, like myself.

Why have 3rd party apps that "save your desktop" existed since the beginning of time? Because to this day, across your many versions, you can't remember what my desktop looked like 5 minutes ago if I plug in a different screen. Yet for some reason, my mobile phone has the exact same screen every time. I know you're more advanced than a mobile device, but it's time you started acting like it.

I hope one day in the near distant future I can have a custom desktop with my icons set up just the way I like -- PERMANENTLY. Until then, I will keep wishing and hoping that you'll see the light.

Forever yours,

:)

catso, May 19, 2016

2. desktop icons arrangement

how stop windows from rearranging my desktop icons

HERBERTLEIFER, May 19, 2016
  3. Mystere Win User

When you plug in a different screen, the monitor briefly resizes to a default size, until it gets the monitor information to resize itself. It would be nice if Windows remembered icon locations for a given size screen, but It doesn't.

Why not use one of the many tools you mentioned? My preference is Stardock Fences.

Mystere, May 19, 2016
  4. Try setting scaling to 100% - if it is anything else.

Slartybart, May 19, 2016
  5. Make sure what ever driver you have for the graphics has color at full not limited like Nvidia Control Panel has the default setting has. That has worked for several people! If it don't help this will but it's a workaround not a fix! Desktop OK is a small utility that will save your desktop however you want then just open it and click restore after picking one of the saves you will make as soon as you get Desktop setup just click save! I am using it and very nice to one click everything back after switching monitors or whatever causes icons to run around the screen! Good Luck!

savannahmick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop Rearranging My Desktop - Similar Threads - Stop Rearranging Desktop

2. Rearrange desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rearrange desktop shortcuts: I have been using windows for over 20 years and have yet seen any solution to this issue. I have folders on one side of my desktop and my shortcuts on the other side of the desktop.When you do a fresh install of graphic drivers all of these get mixed together and no "right...
  3. MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!: MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP . . . REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-stop-stop-rearranging-my-files/5de1ffbe-b565-4441-919b-02a27ed3f598
  4. MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!: MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP . . . REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-stop-stop-rearranging-my-files/5de1ffbe-b565-4441-919b-02a27ed3f598
  5. MICROSOFT: STOP . . . STOP REARRANGING MY FILES!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons: Once again, the OS has decided it knows better how to rearrange my desktop than I. Any developments on ways to prevent this from happening, or if it does, how to get back to what Windows screwed up?...
  7. How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons

How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons: Once again, the OS has decided it knows better how to rearrange my desktop than I. Any developments on ways to prevent this from happening, or if it does, how to get back to what Windows screwed up?...
  8. Desktop apps rearranging

Desktop apps rearranging: Hi All my desktop apps rearranged today by themselves when I closed down the lid of my computer, I was wondering am I being hacked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-apps-rearranging/e4dca731-419e-4617-ac72-cee5a1cac2a5
  9. Windows keeps rearranging my desktop

Windows keeps rearranging my desktop: Hello all, I been having a particular problem with Windows 10 2004 version. Currently I am running OS build 19041.572. I have to monitors and I have them set to extend desktop. For whatever reason this update has messed up my desktop. I like to keep certain desktop icons on...
  10. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...