Windows 10: Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion

Discus and support Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How can I stop this annoying dialog box from opening up every time I insert a blank CD or DVD [img] Annoyingly, like many Win 10 dialog boxes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion

How can I stop this annoying dialog box from opening up every time I insert a blank CD or DVD

Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion [​IMG]

Annoyingly, like many Win 10 dialog boxes, it lacks a "Don't ask me this again" checkbox.

Turning Autoplay off stops it, but that breaks my setup for other removable media so its not a solution.

In Autoplay, I have "Blank Disc" set up to "Take No Action" which I I expected to literally mean that, ie. do nothing! However, Win 10 ignores this.

I was hoping there might be a registry hack that would stop this annoying dialog box from popping up.

:)

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
  2. den81164 Win User

"insert another disc" in windows media player on windows 10

each time i burn a disc in windows media player (windows 10), after burning, even though there was sufficient space on the blank disc, the player gives me the message "insert another disc" (as when burning more files that can fit on a single disc). how
    do i get it to stop doing this? i've checked the settings, they seem fine, unless i'm overlooking something...thanks in advance

den81164, Dec 9, 2017
  3. MrMoska Win User
    Burn a CD in Windows 10

I cannot burn a CD in W. 10. I get to "Files ready to be written to the disc", but there is no way to proceed. In W. Media Player, "Please insert a blank disc in CD Drive E", the screen returns to "Files ready to be written to the disc". How to burn
    to a CD? Thanks for any help.

MrMoska, Dec 9, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion

Same place that it has always been under Default Programs for Autoplay settings.

bro67, Dec 9, 2017
  5. Well as I said on the second to last line of my post, I have Autoplay set to "Take no Action" for DVD and CD. This should mean that when I insert a disc... nothing should happen.

ETA: In fact, it doesn't matter what I have Autoplay set to, this dialog still pops up.

ETA2: I have the same settings on my Laptop (Win 10 64 bit) but this dialog does not pop up

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    See post 2.

bro67, Dec 9, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Hello, smartcooky. You must set the difinative configurations in Control Panel, not the Settings app. Use step two of this tutorial.

Turn On or Off AutoPlay in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

Tony K, Dec 9, 2017
  8. Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion

I have done what you are telling me and it doesn't work. I must be stupid so you will have to talk me through it.

ETA

Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion [​IMG]

I followed Option 2 and here is what I ended up with...

It doesn't work!

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
  9. I decided start from scratch

1. "Reset to default" in Autoplay.
    2. Restarted the computer
    3. When restart is completed, insert a Blank DVD

The dialog box pops up, and furthermore, it does so BEFORE the notification asking me what I want to do with blank discs, i.e. this dialog box doesn't care what my Autoplay settings are!,

I guess that means it is nothing to do with Autoplay.... something else is happening here.

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    That's odd. Try check-marking "Choose what to do with each type of media" and see what happens.

The optic drive's driver may come into play here as well.

Tony K, Dec 9, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    TBH, I don't use my optic drive that much, so I have mine set to "Take no action", however it is responding to settings I change in CP. I'm sure you know, but keep in mind that the optic drive is considered a removable drive.

With a blank disk in your drive do you get a desktop.ini file when highlighting the drive?

Tony K, Dec 9, 2017
  12. That didn't work either.

When I open the drive...Yes

Next, I tried starting the Task Manager with a view to watching to see which (if any) process started up when I inserted the disc. The dialog did NOT pop up.... curious.

So I closed the Task Manager, then ejected and re-inserted the disk... the dialog pops up.

I repeated the process a couple of times...when the Task manager is off, the dialog pops up, but when its on, the dialog does NOT pop up.

Then I tried acting on your comment about the optical drive. I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the DVD Rom, then clicked the "Scan for Hardware changes" icon at the top of the window (reinstalling the DVD).

That fixed that problem... the dialog no longer pops up.

Must have been a glitch in the Matrix

Thanks for your help HippsieGypsie

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

You're welcome, smartcooky. Glad you figured it out. *Smile

LOL! Glitch in the Matrix.

It may be a faulty code for they're still porting CP over to Settings app. Who knows? *Think

Tony K, Dec 9, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    See the first checkbox. That is how you stop the behavior. If you use third party burning software. You have to change the default on it to not open a burning session.

bro67, Dec 9, 2017
  15. First checkbox is "Use Autoplay for all media and devices"

Yes, unchecking that stopped the behaviour, but a solution that breaks features that I want is, not a solution at all. Its like having a car that wont run properly... "well don't drive it then" might work, but its not much use as a solution. Autoplay is supposed to be configurable to behave differently for different media and content.

The second checkbox is "Choose what to do with each type of media"... it had no effect on the behaviour (see post 10). It didn't matter what that checkbox was set to, the dialog would pop up on insertion of a Blank disk.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the DVD drive in Device Manager actually fixed the problem.

smartcooky, Dec 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Stop the "Burn a Disc" dialog from popping up on Blank Disc insertion - Similar Threads - Stop Burn Disc

2. Burning a Disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Burning a Disc: Burning a Disc – I want to copy my Document files to a DVD+RW disc and beable to edit it and add and delete future files. In the screenshot, which option do I choose? Thanks, Jerry 4/22/2021 [ATTACH]...
  3. insert disc problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    insert disc problem: Hi Microsoft community, after few windows 10 updates, my cd/dvd-drive stopped read compact disks. everytime I physically inserting cd/dvd - it says: 'please insert disc into DVD RW Drivee:' I tried advices like: insert disc additionally I unninstalled/installed drivers,...
  4. Burning discs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Burning discs: what speed does windows 10 use to burn discs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-discs/690a1e0e-c758-43ff-bacb-a2255bde58e7
  5. burning disc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    burning disc: I am trying to burn a short (30sec) video to DVD so I can send via snail mail to someone. I have copy and pasted file and it is sitting in "waiting to be burned to disc" when I try to burn to disc it says "source and destination file names are the same" and my options are...
  6. Disc burning

Disc burning: I can not get my HP laptop running windows 10 to recognised discs or burn them? I can play them on VLC. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have looked on devices and printer. Had searched for it could not find. It is in device manager....
  7. Please insert a blank disc?

Please insert a blank disc?: Hi, Can anyone please help me? Whenever I put a blank cd rw into the disc drive to burn a cd I get the error message, 'Please insert a blank disc'. The computer just rejects the cd rw. Does anyone have a solution for this? Many thanks....
  8. Windows 10, "Please insert a disc" when disc is inserted.

Windows 10, "Please insert a disc" when disc is inserted.: For a while now, ive been witnessing this issue. If i insert a cd, Windows can read it. If i insert a DVD It spins then stops then says "Please insert a cd" opening the drive in the process, tried uninstalling it, got nothing. Tried cleaning the disc nothing. The drive is a...
  9. burning photos to a disc

burning photos to a disc: What type cd disc do you use to burn photos from the computer to disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-photos-to-a-disc/8c449945-3e93-43e3-a61a-cf0a64fbed8e
  10. Windows 10 will not burn a CD/DVD. Response "insert a blank disc" when ready to burn

Windows 10 will not burn a CD/DVD. Response "insert a blank disc" when ready to burn: My Dell laptop recognizes my DVD/CD burner (that came with computer) and I can play DVD/CDs. I have checked to make sure the installed driver is the latest. I have run the troubleshooter that says the drive is working. I use windows media player or iTunes and when it is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DELETE BURN Blank