Windows 10: Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

Discus and support Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my thumbnails in Explorer just to have windows delete them on a regular basis. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have tried every possible method from anyone and everywhere and none of them worked. Total joke of misinformation and waste of your time. Then I decided to look into the registry under Thumbnail Cache. I came across many entries, and all with an exception of 2 entries were not going to do anything to fix the issue.

But when I stumbled across 2 entries, it all made sense and was what I was looking for to possibly stop the auto deleting the thumbnails. And so far it has.

To access the registry:
    Task Bar>>Cortana search bar > type in "Regedit" and select it in the menu.
    Select Yes in Security Box for RUN AS ADMIN PRIVLEDGES.
    or
    Go to: C:\Windows
    Right click on the "RegEdit icon" and select to run as administrator.

The first one was located in the Registry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnai l Cache

If you notice all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.
    So right click on the "Auto Run Flag" and selected "Modify".
    In the box, change the value from "1" to "0" which is "OFF".

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache [​IMG]

Then the next entry was located in the Registry at:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCac hes\Thumbnail Cache

If you notice all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.
    So right click on the "Auto Run Flag" and selected "Modify".
    In the box, change the value from "1" to "0" which is "OFF".

Close out Registry Edit and restart your PC.

**NOTE: Before making Registry Entry Changes, Create a new Restore Point.

It was obvious to me that these 2 settings would allow the operating system to auto delete the Thumbnail cache on its own. This was not the case in previous Windows versions. It is bull crap that they are even deleting peoples thumbnails just to have to keep reloading them. Very irrating and frustrating.

I was never able to get my cache up above 700Mb and then windows would delete the cache on restart or even when you are logged on to your desktop. Now after doing this and loading all my personal thumbnails in Explorer, minus Program Files, Program Files(86) and Windows folder thumbnails, which is no use to me, it has been 3 days and Windows has not deleted them and the size has also remained at 1.69GB. (See Photo).

YES, IN FACT, this is the resolution on how to stop the thumbnail cache from being automatically deleted through Disk Clean Up set to auto run. Disable these 2 registry entries auto run values and all is fixed.

----

**** I DO WANT TO NOTE THIS:
    I have seen people who thinks the Task Scheduler Maintenance was causing the deletion. I do not believe it has anything to do with the thumbnail cache being deleted. I say this because from this article I am posting below, in my case, none of these 4 entries were on my system. I had no maintenance schedulers whatsoever, therefore I do not think these apply. But in case you do the above procedure and may just happen to have them deleted (Which I doubt), then follow this person's procedure to turn off any auto maintenance processes.

Step 1: Launch the Run utility via Win + S, write down taskschd.msc and press Enter.
    Step 2: Use the left pane to navigate to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> TaskScheduler.
    Step 3: In the right pane, identify Maintenance Configurator and Don’t touch it, unless applying Step 4-b.
    Step 4-a: Use Right-click and Disable for Idle Maintenance, Manual Maintenance, and Regular Maintenance so that the right pane looks like this:
    -> Idle Maintenance - Disabled;
    -> Maintenance Configurator - Ready;
    -> Manual Maintenance - Disabled;
    -> Regular Maintenance - Disabled.
    Step 4-b: Select All items in the right pane and Delete them. This prevents Maintenance Configurator from automatically re-enabling the rest.
    Note: For this to work, it needs to be done from the Administrator Account.

----------------------------

And now I think that since this is where the Disk Clean Up Registry entries are for turning off auto deleting for programs and system files are, that people say Microsoft now deletes your OLD Windows Installation if you do not convert back within 10 days. Well this is where someone in my belief, could turn off auto deletion of your previous Windows installations that are in Disk Clean Up and where you would delete your previous Windows installation from. I believe you could turn it off by changing its "Auto Run" registry entry from "1" "ON" to "0" "OFF" to stop your previous OS version deletion. Seems logical.

:)

Seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018

2. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache "Updated"

This article has been updated on a new thread. Ignore this thread and go here below to stop this Silent Run/Auto Deleting your Thumbnail cache and other caches.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-how-to-stop-the-auto-deleting-thumbnail/5d09ef73-7777-4d59-8e47-965379fb91f0?tm=1521401696689

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache >> OLD THREAD, Do Not Use <<

As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my thumbnails in Explorer just to
    have windows delete them on a regular basis. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have tried every possible method from anyone and everywhere and none of them worked. Total joke of misinformation and waste of your time. Then I decided to look into the registry under Thumbnail Cache. I came across many entries, and all with an exception
    of 2 entries were not going to do anything to fix the issue.

But when I stumbled across 2 entries, it all made sense and was what I was looking for to possibly stop the auto deleting the thumbnails. And so far it has.

To access the registry:

or

Go to the "View Tab" and select "Address Bar"

The first one was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache

If you notice, most all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.

So right click on the "Auto Run Flag" and select "Modify".

In the box, change the value from "1" to "0" which is "OFF" and select "OK".

Then the next entry was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache

If you notice, most all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.

It was obvious to me that these 2 settings would allow the operating system to auto delete the Thumbnail cache on its own. This was not the case in previous Windows versions. It is bull crap that they are even deleting peoples thumbnails just to have to
    keep reloading them. Very irrating and frustrating.

I was never able to get my cache up above 700Mb and then windows would delete the cache on restart or even when you are logged on to your desktop. Now after doing this and loading all my personal thumbnails in Explorer, it has been days and Windows has not
    deleted them and the size has increased. (See Photo).

>>**YES, IN FACT, this is the resolution on how to stop the thumbnail cache from being automatically deleted through Disk Clean Up set to auto run. Disable these 2 registry entries auto run values and all is fixed**<<

NOTE: Make sure you do not have a 3rd party program such as example: "CCC Cleaner", that may have Thumbnails selected to be deleted by that program. If so, Turn it off or disable it.

**Also: A major Windows cumulative update or new creator pack may reset the default values back to 1. So you may have to reset registry Values to 0 again on both registry entries. Time will tell when that time comes.

----

Now if you want to Stop Auto/Silent Run for Disk Clean Up In Task Scheduler for all Items (For additional protection to your other files and caches)

do the following;

**To disable Disk Clean Up "Silent Run"

Launch the Run utility via Win + S, and type taskschd.msc and press Enter

OR

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler

In task Scheduler (See Photo) Highlight/Select Disk CleanUp

Tick on "SilentCleanUp" and on right side select >>"Disable"<<

(MINE IS ALREADY DISABLED, THAT IS WHY IT SHOWS ENABLE)

-------

I have seen people who thinks the Task Scheduler Maintenance was causing the deletion. I do not believe it has anything to do with the thumbnail cache being deleted. I say this because from this article I am posting below, in my case, none of these 4 entries
    were on my system. I had no maintenance schedulers whatsoever, therefore I do not think these apply. But in case you do the above procedure and may just happen to have them deleted (Which I doubt), then follow this person's procedure to turn off any auto maintenance
    processes.

1: Launch the Run utility via Win + S, write down taskschd.msc and press Enter.

OR

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler

2: Use the left pane to navigate to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> TaskScheduler.

3: In the right pane, identify Maintenance Configurator and Don’t touch it, unless applying 4-b.

4-a: Use Right-click and Disable for Idle Maintenance, Manual Maintenance, and Regular Maintenance so that the right pane looks like this:

>>Idle Maintenance - Disabled;

>>Maintenance Configurator - Ready;

>>Manual Maintenance - Disabled;

>>Regular Maintenance - Disabled.

4-b: Select All items in the right pane and Delete them. This prevents Maintenance Configurator from automatically re-enabling the rest.

seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018
  3. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache "Updated"

Update:

As of March, 2018, No Cumulative Updates have reset the registry values. So all is good!

We will see if Microsoft will try or do this in the next Spring 2018 Creators Pack.

seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

But a major Windows cumulative update or new creator pack may reset the default values back to 1. So you may have to reset registry Values to 0 again. Time will tell when that time comes.

Seahawks65, Jan 18, 2018
  5. KCR
    KCR Win User
    Nice work, and I assume these registry edits are reversible. . . ?

I haven't done the second edit yet, but will in a bit. . .
    Just change the "Value data" to 0, and restart, correct ?

Oh, and here's a picture of my thumbnail catch . . .

Whoops, wrong picture. . . . *Eek

I meant cache. . . yours and mine. . *Wink

6. LOL. Yes it is reversible. why would you want to reverse it back to 1 when you can delete the thumbnails in disk clean up? Will do 2nd one in a bit? lol. You are there and it takes 30 seconds to change the other one. Have a good day!

Seahawks65, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache "UPDATED"

As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my thumbnails in Explorer just to have windows delete them on a regular basis. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have tried every possible method from anyone and everywhere and none of them worked. Total joke of misinformation and waste of your time. Then I decided to look into the registry under Thumbnail Cache. I came across many entries, and all with an exception of 2 entries were not going to do anything to fix the issue.

To access the registry:
    or

Go to the "View Tab" and select "Address Bar"

The first one was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnai l Cache

Then the next entry was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCac hes\Thumbnail Cache

It was obvious to me that these 2 settings would allow the operating system to auto delete the Thumbnail cache on its own. This was not the case in previous Windows versions. It is bull crap that they are even deleting peoples thumbnails just to have to keep reloading them. Very irrating and frustrating.

I was never able to get my cache up above 700Mb and then windows would delete the cache on restart or even when you are logged on to your desktop. Now after doing this and loading all my personal thumbnails in Explorer, minus Program Files, Program Files(86) and Windows folder thumbnails, which is no use to me, it has been 4 days and Windows has not deleted them and the size has remained at 1.72GB. (See Photo).

YES, IN FACT, this is the resolution on how to stop the thumbnail cache from being automatically deleted through Disk Clean Up set to auto run. Disable these 2 registry entries auto run values and all is fixed.

NOTE: Make sure you do not have a 3rd party program such as example: "CCC Cleaner", that may have Thumbnails selected to be deleted by that program. If so, Turn it off or disable it.

**Also: A major Windows cumulative update or new creator pack may reset the default values back to 1. So you may have to reset registry Values to 0 again on both registry entries. Time will tell when that time comes.

----

I have seen people who thinks the Task Scheduler Maintenance was causing the deletion. I do not believe it has anything to do with the thumbnail cache being deleted. I say this because from this article I am posting below, in my case, none of these 4 entries were on my system. I had no maintenance schedulers whatsoever, therefore I do not think these apply. But in case you do the above procedure and may just happen to have them deleted (Which I doubt), then follow this person's procedure to turn off any auto maintenance processes.

Step 1: Launch the Run utility via Win + S, write down taskschd.msc and press Enter.
    Step 2: Use the left pane to navigate to Task Scheduler Library >> Microsoft >> Windows >> TaskScheduler.
    Step 3: In the right pane, identify Maintenance Configurator and Don’t touch it, unless applying Step 4-b.
    Step 4-a: Use Right-click and Disable for Idle Maintenance, Manual Maintenance, and Regular Maintenance so that the right pane looks like this:
    -> Idle Maintenance - Disabled;
    -> Maintenance Configurator - Ready;
    -> Manual Maintenance - Disabled;
    -> Regular Maintenance - Disabled.
    Step 4-b: Select All items in the right pane and Delete them. This prevents Maintenance Configurator from automatically re-enabling the rest.

----------------------------

And now I think that since this is where the Disk Clean Up Registry entries are for turning off auto deleting for programs and system files are, that people say Microsoft now deletes your OLD Windows Installation if you do not convert back within 10 days. Well this is where someone in my belief, could turn off auto deletion of your previous Windows installations that are in Disk Clean Up and where you would delete your previous Windows installation from. I believe you could turn it off by changing its "Auto Run" registry entry from "1" "ON" to "0" "OFF" to stop your previous OS version deletion. Seems logical.

Seahawks65, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

1. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache - Similar Threads - Stop Auto Deleting

2. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  3. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  4. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  6. Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already

Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already: I'm writing about an ongoing thumbnail cache problem that keeps clearing itself every some period of time. This problem has been going on for years since Windows 8, and there is no permanent solution at all. I know how Microsoft recommends deleting thumbnail cache to help...
  7. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: "Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache" Updated June 2018 "Revised" I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take...
  8. Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc: It seems that everytime I enter folders with a large amount of images it needs to reload the thumbnails which can take a while. If I let them all load then come back the thumbnails will be loaded. But if I go back in a few days the same loading will happen. Nevertheless if I...
  9. After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting

in Windows 10 Support
    After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting: After this second Creators Update (Creators Update 2), the thumbnail cache keeps deleting itself and having to rebuild after I wake it up from sleep mode, or just after a few hours of PC use (like maybe about 4 to 5 hours). Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks for...
  10. Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache: How to: Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache How to Prevent Windows 10 from Deleting Thumbnail Cache Windows keeps a copy of all your folder, picture, video, and document thumbnails in a cache so they can be reused to quickly display when you open a folder...