Windows 10: Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

Discus and support Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; "Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache" Updated June 2018 "Revised" I will first explain in a nut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Seahawks65, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

"Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache"

Updated June 2018 "Revised"

I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take ownership of your personal Explorer and Caches Folder. I was beyond this and did this last.

I have thousands of thumbnails. Microsoft deletes your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 700MB or lower in size. All My PC's are at about 2.1GB to 2.9GB in size.

First, I have disabled and deleted many Task Scheduler services that I will show you later.

First, you have to disable and even remove some tasks. Microsoft had made the deleting your thumbnail cache almost Redundant. Meaning one service with different users such as system, trusted installer, admins, etc can trigger another service and somehow still delete them. This is a well known fact.

First you go to Regedit, using Admin Privileges and access these 2 registry settings and change the values to 0 which is OFF for disk clean up auto run for thumbnail caches.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnai lCache

AutoRun>>Modifychange value from 1 to 0

And

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCac hes\ThumbnailCache

AutoRun>>Modifychange value from 1 to 0.

But Wait, this is not fool proof, the cache will still get deleted. So I just deleted the auto run entries in the registry above but the cache still gets deleted.

So in Task Scheduler: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
    All these have been disabled or deleted (After exporting and saving backups). Doing this has no negative effect on your system. As these Tasks is what has many triggers for other services even when disabled or deleted.
    It gets tricky. I have spent lots of time to finally get it to stop deleting them. There is no other article on the web that has a solution that works. But this has for me so far for numerous months even with cumulative updates.

ApplicationData- Disabled
    Diagnosis= DELETED
    Disk CleanUp = DELETED
    FileHistory = DELETED
    Maintenance= DELETED
    RemovalTools = DELETED
    WasSMedic= DELETED
    WDI =DELETED
    Wininet =DELETED
    WorkFolders = DELETED
    Windows Defender 2 tasks:
    A. WindowsDefender Cache Maintenance = DELETED
    B. WindowsDefender Cleanup = DELETED

Then I went to C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    And took "OWNERSHIP" of "cleanmgr.exe.mui" and "cleanmgr.exe" in both locations, which is the "Disk Cleanup Utility".
    Disabled Inheritance and select the bottom selection of the 2 in the confirmation box. This removes all the users in the list.
    Or
    Removed all the Users, and then added myself (My USER ACCOUNT) in the list with full permissions/control. You must add your user account name in the user list even if you are the owner of the object or item and with FULL permissions.

Then I renamed them "cleanmgr.bak.mui" & "cleanmgr.bak"**This Disables Disk Cleanup**
    **To Enable Disk Cleanup, Rename Files In both locations** "cleanmgr.exe.mui" & "cleanmgr.exe"

Now when I want a disk clean up done, "I WILL RUN THEM".

I also took ownership of these files and removed all users and added myself with FULL Permissions.C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    WinSATAPI.dll
    WinSATAPI.dll.mui

I also took ownership of these files and removed all users and added myself with FULL Permissions.C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
    wininet.dll
    wininet.dll.mui
    wininetlui.dll.mui
    wininetlui.dll

It took all this to stop it from happening. They have made it Redundant and pretty much impossible to stop it happening no matter what has been disabled, deleted and what not. It took all this and the following to stop it.

**And I think this is the main key as if only you are the owner of your “Explorer” & "Caches" folder and with only you (and the 2nd user account as mentioned below) in the list of users with full permissions, then no system users can delete the caches.

So for extra security I went to:
    C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    Where your thumbnail and icon caches are located per user, Took ownership of Explorerand deleted all other users in the list except myself, which I added with full permissions.

I did the same for this folder:C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches

**Also, I save a copy for a backup of the “Explorer” & “Caches” Folders.
    So after a Creator's Pack/Update, I can restore them back.

NOTE: Anytime you take ownership of an object, you must also then add your name in the list of users with FULL PERMISSIONS.

I have not since had them deleted.

If you never have more than about 500MB to 700MB, then they may not get deleted. But upon cumulative updates and other updates they can be deleted no matter how small cache size is if this is not done above.

And a Creators Pack will delete the cache no matter what.
    But as mentioned, I save a back up of Explorer and Caches folder and copy and paste cache back in to Explorer and Caches after creator’s packs to restore the caches. But to do this, you have to do a couple steps and use command prompt or safe mode to restore thumbnail cache,

** OR, create a 2nd user account giving that account full permissions to your user account folder so you can log onto 2nd account and replace your Explorer & Caches folders while logged onto the other account, as you cannot easily replace your Cache folders while logged in and they are in use.
    Note, you must add the 2nd user account to your user account folder list with FULL Permissions so you can access it.
    You can also take ownership of your own C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME account folder.

I also always have a SYSTEM IMAGE. The #1 MUST, when owning a Computer.

It was an obsession and I had to stop Windows from deleting the thumbnail cache. It finally paid off.

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache [​IMG]

How to access the Registry:
    C:\Windows
    Right click on "Regedit"
    Run as Administrator
    Go to the "View Tab" and select "Address Bar"
    Copy and Paste each entry shown above and press Enter
    Either change value to 0 or delete the Autorun Flags
    Close out and Restart PC.
    **NOTE: Before making Registry Entry Changes, Create a new Restore Point and also copy and paste the Registry into a New created folder for a back up.

Example:

How to access Task Scheduler:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools>>Task Scheduler
    Task Scheduler Library>>Microsoft>>Windows
    Disable or Delete the tasks in the Center Pane, Not the Main Tasks in the left hand side Pane. Be sure to EXPORT and save a backup of each task you delete.

Example:

Note that each task has a specific Security User that runs a specific task. This is what makes them all tied together and REDUNDANT which give them the ability to somehow delete your Thumbnail cache.

Some Examples shown below:

So now no matter what, 4 User names "USERS", "SYSTEM", "ADMINISTRATORS" & "TRUSTED INSTALLER" can use Custom Handlers and somehow run Auto/Silent Disk Cleanup and delete your files and caches. This is why I disabled them and then deleted them.

How to take ownership of any item:

Right Click on any Item>>Properties>>Security Tab>>Advanced
    You can see here that TRUSTED INSTALLER is the Owner and all the user names listed below that can run Disk Cleanup.

Now you take Ownership of the Item:
    Now you select CHANGE next to OWNER.

Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK
    Apply>>Verify OK. Now you are the Owner of that file cleanmgr.exe.

Now select Disable Inheritance.
    (This removes all the users in the list. Enabling it again will replace them back into the list)
    If it does not remove them, then manually remove each of them.

Now you MUST ADD Your Name to the User List:
    Now select ADD>>Select a Principle>>Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK>>OK
    Now select full control permissions box>>OK
    Now you are the owner and the only user on the list with full permissions for Disk Cleanup..

Remember as mentioned above, if you create a 2nd user account on your PC, you can add the 2nd user name to the list with Full Permissions of your C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME account folder so you can replace the "Explorer" & "Caches" files after a Creator's Update.

NOTE: Now for Maintenance, you can run it manually here anytime you choose to do so.

NOTE: Remember you can always run Disk Cleanup at any time yourself.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools >>Disk Cleanup

----------------------

***This is how to increase you Icon Cache, as claimed by some, but I do not know for a fact it really helps or makes a difference for the Icon Cache:

Open C:\Windows\regedit.exe as shown above.
    Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Now right click and create a new REG_SZ (String Value) and name it >> Max Cached Icons <<
    Give it a value of 4096 (4GB) or 8192 which is (8GB).
    Save and exit the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

***If you have a corrupt or damaged Icon Cache or Thumbnail Cache, you can download and run this tool to fix one or both. I have used it a few times on systems and it seems to work good. This is not my tool, but I will provide you the link.

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10 Link:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/icon-cache-rebuilder-for-windows-10

More Helpful Topics and Tips:

Connecting PC’s and Users for Sharing - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connecting-pcs-and-users-for-sharing/fb92e439-5dbc-4367-9857-1ef360e9ffdf

Network & HomeGroup Setup and Sharing XP, Vista, 7, 8 & 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-homegroup-setup-and-sharing-xp-vista-7-8/6fe29dd6-6049-4953-b55c-72287e0e9f67?tm=1526264691930

Home Network Modem-Router & PC Security & Settings - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/home-network-modemrouter-pc-security-settings/fb026376-633b-48d6-9184-1572bc9eb9d0

Network Setup for Dynamic IP Addressing - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/network-setup-for-dynamic-ip-addressing/3ed02b5e-8c83-4706-9993-7cd28bf16a88?tm=1526935286071

Fix Homegroup Password, Joining and Unjoining Issues - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/fix-homegroup-password-joining-unjoining-and/2df306be-8a49-47c5-b7aa-33275cbebe91

How to FIX Missing Computer Icons in Network Folder - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-fix-missing-computer-icons-in-network/37140a9c-f47b-4d19-97e2-2710a7deab27

How to Install Devices & Software from Older Windows OS's on - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-install-devices-software-from-older-windows/c19bee9c-431f-46e2-85f1-6ab90304d278

Try to Fix System Problems During or After Windows Update-Upgrade - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/try-to-fix-system-problems-during-or-after-windows/f0550db9-66d1-4b95-b23e-36357ed5d523

Recover Windows Hung Up on Boot or Update Installations - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/recover-windows-hung-up-on-boot-or-update/f75a0178-4d81-4085-8b51-af12f8b57e63

Set Up Internet Options for XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-networking/set-up-internet-options-for-xp-vista-7-8-and-10/12c19ab0-0c7a-45a4-8c11-75c464c9cb17

Add Quick Launch Toolbar To Taskbar In Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/add-quick-launch-toolbar-to-taskbar-in-windows-10/7c365da5-1d58-4c0f-bffe-afa1d3af006d

How to Add a Pagefile to USB Thumb Drive - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/how-to-add-a-pagefile-to-usb-thumb-drive/aa62e44e-811d-4428-bab4-c999ce0050bc

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache Updated - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-how-to-stop-the-auto-deleting-thumbnail/5d09ef73-7777-4d59-8e47-965379fb91f0

Windows Media Player - Play ALL Video & Audio Formats Easily - Microsoft Community
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-pictures/wmp-play-all-video-audio-formats-easily/ae900cb4-2e8e-4cca-aadb-8da60b1c1464

:)

Seahawks65, Jun 7, 2018
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 7, 2018
  3. disable windows 10 thumbnail cache

Hi,

Thank you for being part of windows 10 family.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

Let us follow these steps and check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Control Panel”.
    • Double click on “Folder Options”.
    • Click the “View tab”.
    • Uncheck the following option, “Display file icons on thumbnails”.
    • "Always show icons, never thumbnails".
    • Click on Apply and OK.

Method: 2

Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder containing your pictures.

Type "del *.db /s /as" (without the quotes).

This will delete all the thumbnail cache files including those in subdirectories and cause them to be rebuilt next time you open the folder.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jun 7, 2018
Thema:

Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

1. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache - Similar Threads - Stop Auto Deleting

2. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  3. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  4. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  6. Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache: Hello, I've got many photos to sort on a HDD in numerous folders. I found a software to recursively generate all preview thumbnails. When done, the cache is almost 2go. But when I restart my computer, more than half of the cache is deleted so I have to regenerate the cache...
  7. Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already

Please stop deleting people's thumbnail cache already: I'm writing about an ongoing thumbnail cache problem that keeps clearing itself every some period of time. This problem has been going on for years since Windows 8, and there is no permanent solution at all. I know how Microsoft recommends deleting thumbnail cache to help...
  8. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my...
  9. Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc: It seems that everytime I enter folders with a large amount of images it needs to reload the thumbnails which can take a while. If I let them all load then come back the thumbnails will be loaded. But if I go back in a few days the same loading will happen. Nevertheless if I...
  10. After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting

in Windows 10 Support
    After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting: After this second Creators Update (Creators Update 2), the thumbnail cache keeps deleting itself and having to rebuild after I wake it up from sleep mode, or just after a few hours of PC use (like maybe about 4 to 5 hours). Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WindowsDefender Cache Maintenance

2. stop pc from auto deleting thumbnail cache

3. workfolders 1803 thumbnails