Windows 10: Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree

Discus and support Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. How to stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree when exploring folders? I'd prefer a .reg/.cmd file. Thanks! 53760 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Martinz, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Martinz Win User

Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree

Hi.
    How to stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree when exploring folders?
    I'd prefer a .reg/.cmd file.
    Thanks!

:)

Martinz, Jun 17, 2016

2. Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane automatically expands/collapses folder tree

I have recently come to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (and Classic Shell). I am not an IT professional, nor enthusiast, but I know my way around a PC.

When I click on a folder in the file explorer navigation pane tree, it automatically expands the folder in the tree. It also automatically collapses the previous folder I had selected. This drives me nuts, as I am used to deciding for myself when to expand
    and collapse the tree.

How do I make it:

- just show the folder contents in the right pane when I select a folder in the tree

- only expand the folder when I tell it to

- leave expanded folders expanded when I select a different folder in the tree

(in other words, behave like Windows Explorer)?

PS - I will start throwing things at anyone who mentions the "Expand to current folder" setting, as this is not the answer.

skeletonbob, Jun 17, 2016
  3. Stop explorer from auto-expanding folder tree upon mouse hover and "expand to current folder" is NOT checked.

Since OP is not responding, I also have exactly the problem they described and "expand to current folder" is NOT checked.

peteryocum, Jun 17, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Right click an empty spot in the Navigation Pane and uncheck "Expand to current Folder"

Edwin, Jun 18, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    When searching for information keep in mind that the file manager was renamed to File Explorer in Win8. This pages gives some good information even though it stops with Win8 although the naming convention continues in Win10.
    File Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Historically the application was called File Manager in Win3.11 and earlier and changed to Windows Explorer in Win95 along with changing the name of directory to Folders. An important change with Win95 was the LFN/Long File Name convention which also was involved in furthering the change from needing a separate install of DOS/Disk Operating System. Computing has continued changing ever since.

Berton, Jun 18, 2016
  6. Martinz Win User
    Mine is already unchecked from long ago and it still expands the tree.

Martinz, Jun 18, 2016
  7. Maybe there is a hidden entry for all users in HKLM?

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "NavPaneExpandToCurrentFolder" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "NavPaneExpandToCurrentFolder" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    taskkill /im explorer.exe /f & explorer.exe

TairikuOkami, Jun 18, 2016
  8. Martinz Win User

I just tried that and still doesn't work.
    I like the way Windows 7 was in this matter.

Martinz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree - Similar Threads - Stop Explorer expanding

2. Expand to Open Folder stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand to Open Folder stopped working: Win 11 Pro 22H3 is an improvement when installing fresh on a new drive. This report is right after the fresh install of the OS.In Explorer Folder Options\View Tab I uncheck Show Libraries, Show all folders and Show libraries. I check Expand to Open folder, Show Network, and...
  3. Showing ONLY the open folders in Explorer folder tree

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Showing ONLY the open folders in Explorer folder tree: The below question is exactly what I want to know, but it was never really answered.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-path-view-to-show-only-open-folders-not-all/fed2ab61-eba1-4936-b27a-1eb4acc5e6d5I want to be able to show://server Folder E Folder 5...
  4. Showing ONLY the open folders in Explorer folder tree

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing ONLY the open folders in Explorer folder tree: The below question is exactly what I want to know, but it was never really answered.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-path-view-to-show-only-open-folders-not-all/fed2ab61-eba1-4936-b27a-1eb4acc5e6d5I want to be able to show://server Folder E Folder 5...
  5. Showing ONLY the open folders in Explorer folder tree

6. Folder Tree

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  7. Folder Tree

Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  8. Can't expand certain folders in windows explorer??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't expand certain folders in windows explorer??: [ATTACH] is there something i'm missing or can the folders just not be expanded? i was able to before i recently updated my computer. the weird thing is that the two folders on the bottom can be expanded though. submitted by /u/HyperCyan [link] [comments]...
  9. How to expand folders in Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to expand folders in Windows Explorer?: Windows Explorer (looking at some picture folders), grouped by something ( tags in this case). How can I expand all/collapse all? ***Modified title from: Windows Explorer expand all/collapse all button? ***...
  10. How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop left pane folder from expanding?: This is driving me nuts, the left pane items auto expand randomly to show all the drivers in Computer for example. I then collapse them again, but after a while they expand again. How can I stop them from ever expanding? I'm not sure what's causing this as on a fresh...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop navigation tree explanding in windows exlplorer