Windows 10: Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes

Discus and support Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have an external hard drive that I use at work and at home. When I copy something onto the drive at home and take it to work the new files is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by petersteele, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes

Hi,

I have an external hard drive that I use at work and at home. When I copy something onto the drive at home and take it to work the new files is not visible. I have to check the drive for errors before it sees the new files.

I guess this is because Windows saves an index for the drive. Is there a way to disable this or to otherwise fix this?

Thanks.

:)

petersteele, Jun 1, 2016
  2. CF1234 Win User

I Am Unable to Safely Remove My USB External Hard Drive From My Laptop

So, are these Windows Indexing service files (TFXLog.slf and Txf:$I30) also
    preventing me from safely removing my external hard drive? Or is it only the Norton files, and if these are removed I will be able to safely remove my external hard drive, despite the Windows Indexing service files
    (TFXLog.slf and Txf:$I30) still being present?

CF1234, Jun 1, 2016
  3. I can't index my video, music and photos stored on an external hard drive

Hello:

I'm a little relieved to see that I'm not the only person experiencing problems with indexing in windows 10.

I have my video, music and photo files onn an external hard drive. I've tried to index them several times, rebuilt the index several times and made sure to add just those folders from the external drive for indexing.

Nothing is working. Are there any new Ideas? I don't want to store 2 terabytes of this on my hard drive.

Thanks for any help.

Floyd

FloydMeeks, Jun 1, 2016
  4. Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes

Ok, I found the answer. Right click on the drive -> properties -> general tab -> bottom checkbox.

petersteele, Jun 1, 2016
Thema:

Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes

1. Stop Windows from saving external drive indexes - Similar Threads - Stop saving external

2. External Hard Drive Stops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stops: All USB ports of the laptop stops the External Hard Drive, even connected to any port it's the same. The delay before it stops is about 30 seconds.How to extend the delay before shutdown, or disable automatic shutdown ?...
  3. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?: I have recently purchased an external 4TB USB HDD. Using it as a backup, that means it's been more than half full from the start, and I need to be able to just connect it to any PC and update the backups quickly. The problem is that Windows 10 starts indexing the drive as...
  4. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?: I have recently purchased an external 4TB USB HDD. Using it as a backup, that means it's been more than half full from the start, and I need to be able to just connect it to any PC and update the backups quickly. The problem is that Windows 10 starts indexing the drive as...
  5. Is there a way to disable indexing of certain external drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Saving movies to external hard drive from Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Saving movies to external hard drive from Microsoft Store: Am I able to save movies purchased from the Microsoft Store to an external hard drive? If so....how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-movies-to-external-hard-drive-from/ccd3bb81-0955-4788-8833-a360cdd67977
  7. Save files from "No media" external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Save files from "No media" external hard drive: Hey everyone, I am lost. I have been googling for hours but I can't figure out if there is anything left to do to restore my external hard drive data. I have an external hard drive that occasionally had reading issues, sometimes I just had to plug it in again and it...
  8. Need help with indexing external drive

Need help with indexing external drive: I am working with an external drive. I can get the target folder indexed 100 GB but, I am doing numerous deletions and need to see the updated contents of the drive and folders on a real-time basis. The index does not reflect the current contents of the folder and...
  9. Saving a Video to External Hard Drive

Saving a Video to External Hard Drive: I have many video that I made in the past and are saved under "Videos" But, now Windows 10 is using a Video Editor programme within photos, I have made a video as a Titled Video Project there but cannot integrate it with all my previous Videos or transfer it to the hard...
  10. How to stop windows from indexing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to stop windows from indexing: Can not seem to find where I can disable indexing. I use an app I have just for searching. 39682