Windows 10: Stopcode (BSOD I guess) when booting with HD or USB

Discus and support Stopcode (BSOD I guess) when booting with HD or USB in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'm sort of wondering what to do so I'm posting here for the first time because I usually solve windows-related problems on my own. Can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NoenVoli, Mar 23, 2017.

1. NoenVoli Win User

Stopcode (BSOD I guess) when booting with HD or USB

Hello,

I'm sort of wondering what to do so I'm posting here for the first time because I usually solve windows-related problems on my own. Can't this time it seems *Sad.

Yesterday I was on my HP laptop like I always am. Then suddenly I received a notification "Restart your computer to fix drive errors" or something like that.

I ran chkdsk with admin privileges and it looks like it found an "attribute corruption record 123, $bad at segment 8" or something like that.

I did further research and fond out that my hard drive, which is almost 6 years old, might be failing.

So I downloaded SeaTools and WD's tools and ran some tests. SMART test passed, and the Short DSt passed, but the other tests (long) failed for both programs.

My computer really seems fast and the HD seems very responsive, so I thought the problem wasn't that bad. In fact, I never even saw a BSOD.

But just to be safe I took some of my important files and copied them to a USB. The larger files I decided I'd wait until the restart to move. <-- bad idea.

So I tried to restart the laptop, and it won't get past boot. It tries to run Automatic Repair tool but BSOD happens (stopcode?). It's just an infinite loop of restarts with that happening.

So I press escape and launch HP's recovery partition. They have a system fix thingy where chkdsk Is run BUT FOR SOME STUPID REASON their CHKDSK is READ-ONLY! (????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????) so the chkdsk shows the attribute corruption BUT IT LOL WON'T DELETE THEM AND CAN'T FIX THEM <-- WHAT SORT OF SYSTEM REPAIR IS THAT?

I can't edit chkdsk to do /R /F because the chkdsk is its own option it's literally "run chkdsk on Windows partition" and it launches the chkdsk command on its own!

I then bought a new USB from Walmart and installed a windows boot dsk using the Windows 10 ISO. I changed the boot options to boot the USB first. I went through the purple screen and clicked on "repair computer" instead of "install now"

You see the hourglass for a little bit, and then BSOD happens! WTF!

Pls help me *Sad. I've always hated windows 10 and them forcing me to upgrade. You can't even run safe mode from Windows 10's boot for some very intelligent reason. I hate this OS. I wanted to stay on Windows 7 forever, but they tricked me into upgrading last summer. It's really unfair that they did this.

I have a nagging feeling the BSOD is happening because the hard drive is still booting simultaneously with the USB drive because you know, that's just how great 10 is.

Between HP's incompetence and 10's, I'm not too happy.

If I knew this was going to happen I would've moved all my files before restarting... but I put my faith in 10 for some dumb reason :/.

:)

NoenVoli, Mar 23, 2017

2. BSOD

Im getting various stopcode errores including Whea uncorrectable and machine check exception. This freezes up my computer and i have to power off by holding the power button down. I cant get into any safe mode as bsod happens first. i have downloaded windows
    10 media installation media on usb but does not boot.

Help please

Simon100000, Mar 23, 2017
  3. BSOD problem even after formating harddrive (normal and lowlevel both) and update BIOS

Hi,

I am facing problem BSOD in Toshiba Satellite C650. Following things happened.

1) I tried to fix the BSOD by googling and available solutions, however, nothing work.

2) Using Boot disk with USB (prepare using Rufus) format the HD

3) However, when I put the installation Windows 10 USB and start it goes the half way of installation and BSOD comes.

2) I did the format (low level) the HD and inserted again the same Windows 10 installation USB that I prepared from "Download Windows 10". However, the same BSOD happened after half
    way of installation.

I would like to take help; I faced this problem for the first time in my career since 1997. After Windows 10 installation few months back, this problem occurred during use. Kindly provide the solution.

Best regards,

Aleem Alvi

Aleem Khalid Alvi, Mar 23, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi NoenVoli,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

To recover your files, please try to run the Win10PE (with preinstalled software), see this post for ISO's.
    You may also be able to properly run chkdsk from it *Smile

5. NoenVoli Win User
    Hi Axe0.

Thanks so much for your info! I installed the pe into my usb. I tried it with my laptop. It was able to load up to the desktop of the PE and it had a popup box asking me about static/dynamic IP wkith a check and x box with a timer.

But then the BSOD happened: shortcode: Fat File System

NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Stopcode (BSOD I guess) when booting with HD or USB [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

7. NoenVoli Win User
    Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test. thanks for your quick reply! is it for x64? it seems like it's only for 32 bit

also, so I just install the iso into my usb and use it to boot and the ram test should start?

NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

It isn't an OS *Wink 64x and 32x aren't a matter.

The RAM test starts automatically, you don't have to do anything besides installing on a USB and booting from the USB.

9. NoenVoli Win User
    Hmm... it doesn't seem to be a ram problem 1aa — imgbb.com

I don't think it's completed 8 passes yet, but it's been several hours and there's no red warning lines

NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
  10. axe0 New Member
    Alright, well 16GB (what many have lately) takes up to a day of testing.

11. NoenVoli Win User
    NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Why no photo in the front of the screen?

13. NoenVoli Win User

11a — imgbb.com
    sorry

NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Looks like it hasn't reached 8 passes yet, 7 passes.

Could you remove the Micron RAM stick?

15. NoenVoli Win User
    I don't know how to and I youtube'd it and it looks a bit technical. . .

NoenVoli, Mar 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Stopcode (BSOD I guess) when booting with HD or USB - Similar Threads - Stopcode BSOD guess

2. BSOD stopcode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD stopcode: I have been getting a BSOD with stopcode errors randomly for the past several months. I ran the driver verifier and have the logs, but I have not looked at them because I would not know what to look for.The BSOD while the driver verifier was running had a Stop Code:...
  3. BSOD stopcode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD stopcode: I have been getting a BSOD with stopcode errors randomly for the past several months. I ran the driver verifier and have the logs, but I have not looked at them because I would not know what to look for.The BSOD while the driver verifier was running had a Stop Code:...
  4. BSOD stopcode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Hi.I own a dell g5 SE. Yesterday, I downloaded three new updates from the dell update app. Successfully installed two, and the one remaining update was AMD Radeon graphics driver update. During the installation of this update, my laptop bluescreened, with the stopcode:...
  6. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Hi.I own a dell g5 SE. Yesterday, I downloaded three new updates from the dell update app. Successfully installed two, and the one remaining update was AMD Radeon graphics driver update. During the installation of this update, my laptop bluescreened, with the stopcode:...
  7. BSOD on boot with Stopcode: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  9. BSOD on boot, Stopcode: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

BSOD on boot, Stopcode: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION: As I tried to boot my Windows 10 Pro version 1803 desktop computer after a long absence, I received the above error soon after entering my password. Then it repeated even before getting the login screen. I contacted MS support since it seemed to be an effect of Windows...
  10. 16 Pin to... I'm guessing... USB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    16 Pin to... I'm guessing... USB?: My wife runs an HP DesignJet 500. It's an old printer but she tied to it because of software. Anyway -- -- it has a 16 Pin situation coming out of it. Is there a cord that converts it to, say, USB? (I've already Googled but got vague results. Does it have a different...