Windows 10: Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home

Discus and support Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Greetings all. I have a small metered connection. It's only 1 GB per month. And I can't delay the auto updates until I'm at a public connection.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Roger2362, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Roger2362 Win User

Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home

Greetings all.

I have a small metered connection. It's only 1 GB per month. And I can't delay the auto updates until I'm at a public connection.

My computer sneaks, and downloads the auto updates without me knowing it . And if I do know it, I can't stop them so I can wait until I get to a public connection without disconnecting from the internet.

It's mostly Windows Defender updates. Sometimes there are two or three a day.

The auto updates alone use up more than my monthly data allotment.

I've tried

Settings/network and internet/advanced options

and all I get from that is a page listing the properties like Manufacturer, and Description.

What I want to do is postpone or stop the auto updates until I'm at a public connection so I don't have to use my private, metered connection to download the updates.

HELP!

:)

Roger2362, Aug 27, 2016

2. Metered Connection is ON but I cannot stop auto Win 10 updates!

With the Metered Connection On (meaning no auto updates) I clicked the
    Update
    button for Win 10 under Settings->Windows Update. The updates started.

While updating the power went off. I later started the machine and automatic updates were still going on - endlessly.

Now I want to stop this auto update!

But Metered Connection is already On. So how can I now stop the auto updates?

RazPatnaik, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Scheduling Metered Connections Status

I am connected to Internet that is free of charge from 1 o'clock to 7 in the morning and want to schedule this in windows 10. it means I want to set task scheduler to set my WiFi metered status as off at 1 o'clock and set it as on at 7 o'clock every day
    in the morning. as you know you can turn metered status of an Internet connection off or on in Window 10 to let it run auto updating or not as windows 10 stops updating when you are on metered Internet connection. it is done by opening Setting then Network
    & Internet then WiFi then Advanced options then setting as metered or not. I want to only change the metered status at that hours. I do not want to block Internet or any other restrictions just because Windows 10 stops auto updating on metered connections
    and there is no other way to stop updating to prevent unmanaged costs.

please help me do this

Thank You

MahmoodMomeni, Aug 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, there are various ways bandwidth may be used in the background.
    Just a few quick ideas..
    1. Windows universal apps update automatically on a schedule
    Store Update Apps Automatically - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

2. Some of these update their data in the background
    Settings, search 'background', Choose which apps can run in the background
    3. Windows updates
    E.g. Control by using Wifi and selecting a metered connection
    & if you have other updatable MS products
    Windows Updates for Microsoft Products - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    4. Your AV as you know
    - specific to your AV
    5. Desktop programs you've installed that may check periodically and update automatically (usually there's an option and during installation).
    - setting specific to each program
    6. Using cloud access - e.g. OneDrive

And I suppose if you were to use a more sophisticated firewall, you could consider using firewall rules to block access where relevant.

I'm sure those with Home will add more ideas for you. I don't use Defender, so will leave comment on that to others.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Stopping auto updates on metered connection windows 10 home - Similar Threads - Stopping auto updates

2. Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto update Windows Defender definitions on metered connections: Windows Update packages are around 1GB so I used regedit to automatically set all internet connections as metered since I'm on a budget cellular plan but I want Windows Defender to download definition updates as soon as they're available regardless if I'm on a metered...
  3. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  4. Windows 10 home 2004, update on metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 home 2004, update on metered connection.: I have done clean install of windows 10 home 2004. In settings, I have put wifi as metered connection. Previously windows update used to show time of my previous update done by me as last checked. But now it shows time in which I have not checked. That means update checking...
  5. Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?: I am completely exhausted from MONTHS trying to install 1803 on this m32cd with SSD @ 1709 On several other pc's 1803 went on with little trouble. I just want to permanently kill WU, but it happily resets itself. At this point, my attitude toward Windows, is rock-bottom...
  6. AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.

AU and auto Update problem in metered wifi connection.: I have read update problem under metered connection is solved in AU. I having 14393.105. Still in my metered wifi connection, it shows automatically "Downloading updates 0%" and hangs when I go to updates section of settings. 62879
  7. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.: Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to...
  8. Updates on a metered connection.

Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  9. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  10. Auto Download On Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto Download On Metered Connection: I have recently to FCU. Now even in metered wifi connection, while checking for update, it automatically downloads and hangs. See pic below. What to do to avoid this? [img] 98481