Windows 10: Storage HDD slows PC down substantially

Discus and support Storage HDD slows PC down substantially in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro from SSD and before I installed my storage drive (drive H) it would boot up in less than 15 seconds. With my 2TB Seagate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dragonmts, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dragonmts Win User

Storage HDD slows PC down substantially

I'm running Windows 10 Pro from SSD and before I installed my storage drive (drive H) it would boot up in less than 15 seconds. With my 2TB Seagate drive installed, it has taken as long as 45 minutes to boot! Every time I start the PC, it says scanning and repairing Drive H. I have scanned the drive with SeaTools and it came up with no problems. I also scanned it from within Windows using sfc /scannow and it also found no issues. Even transferring files to the H drive, is impossible as it just stops transferring altogether and causes the PC to freeze and trying to download Steam games to it, results in a timeout error.
    It is not listed in the BIOS as a boot drive so I am absolutely stumped! I have replaced SATA cables and changed the SATA port with no difference.
    Remove the drive and the PC boots and behaves like it should.

I have replaced the drive twice under warranty thinking that it was a drive issue, but every drive has the same problem. My other 2 HDD's (both 500Gig) have no issue like this at all.

BTW, I have my games folder on the drive, nothing else and it still has about 70% of it's capacity free. It is fine when the drive is empty, but the more data that you put on it, the more it slows the computer down until it gets to the stage where I am at the moment and nothing more can be installed or transferred onto it even though there is tons of storage space available on it.

:)

Dragonmts, Jan 19, 2016
  2. patc---01 Win User

RAM Limitation problem of your Phone...

I thought NTFS was a proprietory Microsoft standard - given it stands for "NT File System". If I'm right - and I think you'll find I am - then it's only going to be appearing on devices with non-Microsoft operating systems after substantial licensing fees
    have been paid.

Also, I don't understand why anyone would think that a larger capacity HDD (hard disk drive) would slow a device down. It all depends on average seek times and transfer rates of the HDD and typically (though this is not a rule, just what is usually the case)
    larger HDDs have lower seek times and higher transfer rates, ie: they work faster and therefore speed up a system.

Having a larger capacity HDD doesn't mean you need a faster processor either - apart from anything else, since these phones appear to be I/O bound (ie: slow because they're waiting on data from the HDD/Card), all a faster processor is going to do is spend more
    time idle.
    Message Edited by patc on 20-Jan-2007

11:05 AM

patc---01, Jan 19, 2016
  3. N91 - Sending SMS, locks phone

Hi

It is not a problem with your N91 however some users have had this problem and there is speculation it is some kind of memory leak (ie sw takes up a little memory over time and slows down). I did get this from another forum

11) SMS starting to get sluggish? - I found this in an N80 forum. Enter *#7370# (lock codee 12345) and this cleans up the phone memory BEFORE you do see step 6 above about backing up you phone and HDD memory

6) When backing up your phone use PC suite to back-up your phone memory (ROM) and USB mass storage for the HDD (PC suit eis too slow and seems to have issues with large amounts of data). Copy over what you want from your HDD to the PC (Music, Images, Contacts,
    Videos, Documents etc) BUT do not just grab all the folder move to the PC. Applications need to re-installed properly and should not just be dragged and dropped back to the PC. Also beware in copying installed applications (eg the actual folders and files
    not the SISx file) from an MMC/SD to the HDD. The N91 on start up may see these as incomplete installation and will start to install them. Use the proper installation of SISx files! (its like a PC you must install things properly!)

regards

music101---01, Jan 19, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Sounds like you need to run CHKDSK on it.

Yep, sounds like CHKDSK is needed.

Please try CHKDSK on it a few times. Then possibly defrag afterwards. You might also try partitioning it to 2x1TB and see if that helps if CHKDSK doesn't help. Also, the SeaTools needs to be the full test, not the quick test.

simrick, Jan 20, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Where is that disk in the boot sequence. It should be behind the SSD.

6. Dragonmts Win User
    CHKDSK has been run countless times and never finds any issues.
    I have run the full test of SeaTools and there is also no issue.
    It is last in the boot sequence:
    1 - SATA 1 - Samsung SSD840
    2 - SATA 3 - ST 500
    3 - SATA 4 - ST 3500
    4 - SATA 5 - ST 2000

Dragonmts, Jan 20, 2016
  7. Dragonmts Win User
    What I've noticed this morning because I disconnected the drive last night, is that none of the files are accessible on the H drive, however, the Disk Management tool reads it as healthy and connecting the drive as a slave in another machine, everything is there and accessible.

Dragonmts, Jan 20, 2016
  8. Wullail Win User

Have you tried seatools to check the drive?

Wullail, Jan 20, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Yes, as indicated in post #4.

simrick, Jan 20, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    This is very strange. Something about your computer in particular doesn't like that drive.

I have read that, in the past, Z87 chipsets had problems with drives that were not fully Intel compliant. I just wonder if there is a BIOS update you need which could help resolve the problem. Have you researched this?

simrick, Jan 20, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Have you tried taking OUT one of your 500 gig drives, and replacing it with your 2TB drive, leaving the 500 gig drive out, then boot up. Also.......my SSD is on my sata 0 <--- not sata 1 You should have them in order, 0,1,2,3 etc..... just an idea.....for you to try..... I have the Z87 chipset also.....but I don't run 4 drives either.

OldMike65, Jan 20, 2016
  12. Dragonmts Win User
    Thanks @simrick. I do a fortnightly BIOS check and as at this morning, it was up to date.

Dragonmts, Jan 20, 2016
  13. Dragonmts Win User

Thanks for the reply @OldMike65. I'll definitely give your recommendations a try and let you know!

Dragonmts, Jan 20, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    I like the suggestion by @OldMike65, to remove one of the other drives and put the 2TB in its place, and see what happens.

EDIT: another thought - is the 2TB formatted GPT?

simrick, Jan 20, 2016
  15. Dragonmts Win User
    Yes it is formatted GPT. I have logged a return request for the drive and I'm going to order another Samsung SSD to replace it. Unfortunately I'll have to cut down the size but hopefully I wont have this issue which is driving me batty! @OldMike65 I tried all your suggestions and absolutely nothing unfortunately!
    Strange that this is the 3rd time now that I'm returning a Seagate drive in less than 6 months!

Dragonmts, Jan 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Storage HDD slows PC down substantially - Similar Threads - Storage HDD slows

2. Connected HDD Slowing down System ...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected HDD Slowing down System ...: I have 2 M2 SSD s one with the Windows 11 the other one is for games. I have 2 external HDDs for more games and stuff, when i connect them there are times the OS goes very laggy FPS drops in games and in the system ... The same issue i had on Windows 10 too.If i disconnect...
  3. Connected HDD Slowing down System ...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connected HDD Slowing down System ...: I have 2 M2 SSD s one with the Windows 11 the other one is for games. I have 2 external HDDs for more games and stuff, when i connect them there are times the OS goes very laggy FPS drops in games and in the system ... The same issue i had on Windows 10 too.If i disconnect...
  4. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?: Hi! I have Windows installed on SSD, but System Reserved partition is on HDD. Will this slow down my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-partition-on-hdd-slow-down-my-pc/e914d71d-40ee-492a-b4d2-7a9d3334dc4b
  5. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?: Hi! I have Windows installed on SSD, but System Reserved partition is on HDD. Will this slow down my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-partition-on-hdd-slow-down-my-pc/e914d71d-40ee-492a-b4d2-7a9d3334dc4b
  6. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. HDD gradually slowing down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD gradually slowing down: I'm facing issues with new hard drive yet it's transfer and download speed is diminished quickly regardless of whatever framework equivalent any longer. Seagate backup HDD 2TB....
  8. Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?: OK, so I've got a Toshiba 1TB HDD, but my old HDD (WD Caviar Blue 250GB SATAIII) slows down my pc everytime I plug it in. I plug in the SATA, the SATA Power, but when I try to open it anywhere, Windows Explorer crashes, Diskpart is not listing the disks, and Windows...
  9. Performance Slows Down Substantially Couple of Hours after Reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance Slows Down Substantially Couple of Hours after Reboot: Each time I reboot my system a cycle of good performance for a couple of hours and then degradation into an extremely slow performance, sluggish/stalling software begins. I need to reboot my system when this happens, and things become okay once again. How shall I see what...
  10. Performance Slows Down Substantially Couple of Hours after Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance Slows Down Substantially Couple of Hours after Reboot: Each time I reboot my system a cycle of good performance for a couple of hours and then degradation into an extremely slow performance, sluggish/stalling software begins. I need to reboot my system when this happens, and things become okay once again. How shall I see what...