Windows 10: Storage Settings Broken

Discus and support Storage Settings Broken in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just got a new laptop a few days ago, and I am loving it. It came with a 125gb SSD, and a 1TB hard drive as well. I decided from the get-go I wanted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shulk, Apr 4, 2016.

1. shulk Win User

Storage Settings Broken

I just got a new laptop a few days ago, and I am loving it. It came with a 125gb SSD, and a 1TB hard drive as well. I decided from the get-go I wanted all my applications on my SSD for speed, and all of my documents and music and videos on my hard drive to save space on my SSD. So I went in to the Windows 10 storage settings, and set everything but my apps to be saved on my HDD. A folder with my username and documents, pictures, ect folders were created on my HDD, but nothing after was saved there. Confused, I went back to my settings only to see this:

Storage Settings Broken [​IMG]

There are no options on the storage settings page. Everything works, but defaults to my SSD which is my C: drive. What is causing this and how can I fix it?

:)

shulk, Apr 4, 2016
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

Nearly full C: drive. Unable to update Win 10.

Thanks. Now please:

Open Settings (Start - Settings)

Select System

Select Storage

Select the drive you wish to see detail for

The storage usage, broken down by data type, will be displayed.

Share a picture so we can see what is taking so much space

Ugo Lopez, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Storage spaces and broken motherboard

Hi,

i have a broken motherboard and am currently about to order a new motherboard. Old motherboard has apparently suffered some electrical damage and the computer was randomly shutting off and then turning on again. When i did manage get to windows, i could
    still access my files.

i am running windows 10 pro 64-bit which was upgraded from win 8 64bit.

my storage pool consists of 4x4tb wd red drives with parity setup (i have 9.7tb usable space). No os installed on the pool, only media files.

can i installe the existing hdds to a new system along with the ssd which houses the os, and still have access to all my files on the hdds?

Storage spaces broken motherboard, Apr 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Storage Settings Broken

Hi, you should also have a list of your drives below 'Choose a drive'.

Caution in changing system settings is always recommended. Back up before making unfamiliar changes, esp. with Win 10. Strange things can happen.

Do you have any system restore points? Disk images? System image?

Those would likely be the easiest way to recover from this.

See too:
    Users Personal Folders - Restore Default Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I read sthg today about problems related to changing where apps are saved- that's Windows universal apps only, of course- but you didn't do that, so ok.

What do you see if you create a new user? (Just for test purposes- you can easily delete it).

For reference/interest:
    Storage Save Locations - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 4, 2016
  5. shulk Win User
    Thanks for the help and the useful links, but I now know what is wrong. I followed Black Viper's Windows 10 services optimization guide, and one of the services that he advises to disable is Storage Service. So after I disabled that service naturally storage settings wouldn't work.

He provides links to what all of the services do, and I guess I forgot to check on the storage service before I disabled it.

Side note: windows has been running great since I followed his guide and made my own tweaks as necessary. I would advise anyone to use his guide if they want the best performance out of their machine and have at least some computer experience.

Black Viper Black Viper | www.blackviper.com

shulk, Apr 6, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Glad you recalled that. Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Storage Settings Broken

1. Storage Settings Broken - Similar Threads - Storage Settings Broken

2. on Potentially Broken Extended Storage ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    on Potentially Broken Extended Storage ?: I started experiencing problems with my extended storage for my ps4 a couple of days ago. I first thought that the ps4 was the problem, but it wasn´t. So I switched the USB cable for a new one and tried plugging it into my computer. Since the computer couldn´t see the drive I...
  3. on Potentially Broken Extended Storage ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    on Potentially Broken Extended Storage ?: I started experiencing problems with my extended storage for my ps4 a couple of days ago. I first thought that the ps4 was the problem, but it wasn´t. So I switched the USB cable for a new one and tried plugging it into my computer. Since the computer couldn´t see the drive I...
  4. on Potentially Broken Extended Storage ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Broken Start Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken Start Settings: Hello.So, I had fullscreen start for a while now. But now that I want to get rid of the dimming of the wallpaper to be gone, it won't really let me explained how and why in the next paragraph. I know I could set to light mode instead to avoid this issue but it would be...
  6. Broken Storage Space ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken Storage Space ?: I owned a very old hp microserver running server 2012. Storage was arranged as a storage space in a pool of 2x 3tb drives. The server has broken and is too old to repair. I have an external drive with most of the data on it but I would like to get everything off the drive....
  7. Storage settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage settings: Hello! I've been trying to see how much Storage I have left, but it won't stop loading. Also my Storage Sense isnt working either. It wont I can't turn it on, nor do a manual run. Please help...
  8. Display Settings Broken

Display Settings Broken: Hi, I have a problem with my settings. When I try to open the Display settings the app crashes.I published a video about that. How can I fix that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-settings-broken/71218dec-d1a9-4e75-a1ec-0bd5bbbffeda
  9. Settings broken

Settings broken: So, my relative was playing with my computer, when she started messing around and messed up all my settings. I can't switch windows unless with Alt + Tab shortcut, and my Desktop screen format has changed. There is also 3 new unwanted icons on my task bar. [ATTACH]Could you...
  10. Settings links broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings links broken: Looks like some of the links in Windows Settings are broken (I think they only broke after the Anniversary Update). If anyone knows how to fix this it would be most welcome. In Settings>System>About, clicking "Device Manager" at the bottom of the page results in an error:...