Windows 10: Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

Discus and support Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello...this is confusing. I installed Windows 10, upgrading from Windows 7. It went fine. Nothing of note in Windows.old. I wanted to utilise... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mydogmuppet, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

Hello...this is confusing.

I installed Windows 10, upgrading from Windows 7. It went fine. Nothing of note in Windows.old.
    I wanted to utilise W10 Storage Pool RAID 5 Parity option for data security.
    I backed up the static data from my 3 x 1.5 TB disks onto a large internal drive.
    I checked the windows copy with both synctoy and freefilesync for completeness and zero errors\omissions. Twice. All was OK.

I built the RAID 5 - Parity set some 2.75Gb with the old 3 x 1.5TB drives. I transferred the data (c.1.8TB) back across, from the internal drive to populate the RAID 5 set (painfully slow). Again I checked for completeness with synctoy & freefilesync. No apparent errors.

PROBLEM

The folder M reports 913Gb of data in 1782 folders with 4171 files.
    This folder is identical on the original source backup internal drive and the Storage Pool.

However when I look at the individual subfolders within M I can only locate some 151 folders with 831 files totalling c.280Gb. All the other folders are empty. Or are reporting empty. Over 600Gb of data is reported, by size & file numbers at the top level but is not in the folders (apparently).

I have run chkdsk /f on the Storage Pool and the Internal Backup disk. No errors.
    I have run SFC /SCANNOW . Some Windows Resource Protection errors but no trace of missing files.

Is this that these files are hidden ? Has WIndows 10 altered all my file attributes ?
    Am I missing an obvious trick ?
    Did the folder structure copy across but omitted to copy the file content ?
    Why did synctoy & freefilesync not pick this up ?
    Why does the folder M report files/folders/size that is inconsistent with what I can locate ?

Confused. Looks like a Quantum RAID 5.
    The very act of its creation destroys the data it was set up to secure.

Any bright ideas welcome. Thanks for reading.

:)

mydogmuppet, Jul 21, 2016

2. Help with Storage Spaces

I am building a large storage array for a friend's sizable media collection. The target is >25 TB usable, and there are currently 6 6TB WD Red drives for the array with an SSD as the boot drive. I want a RAID5 (called "Parity" in the Windows Storage Spaces
    options). The Windows 10 setup wizard makes this process very easy and it seems to work quite well. However, we noticed that two drives rather than 1 were missing from the usable capacity of the array (22.5 TB usable out of 33 TB total versus 28 TB out of
    33). Two disks, rather than one, were being used as parity drives. This is referred to as RAID6. We tested it out and found that with 3 or 4 disk arrays, the Storage Spaces system defaults to a RAID5 array (i.e. one drive is subtracted from the usable capacity
    for parity). I cannot find a way to select which RAID level Storage Spaces utilizes when creating the RAID array.

My question is this: how can I force Storage Spaces to create a RAID5 array versus a RAID6? If there isn't a way to select the RAID level used, there should be. I think that would be fairly simple to explain in a tooltip ("More Space" versus "Better Data
    Security"). Alternately, MS could change the number of disks at which the array defaults from RAID5 to RAID6. As it stands, using 5+ disks in a "Parity" (RAID5 or RAID6) array means that you only gain ~10% more space over a simple RAID1 at 5 disks and ~15%
    at 6 disks.

I hope there is a simple solution, as he would prefer not to transfer 20 TB of files just to have to rebuild the array when he can get the extra disk back.

Adam Schindler, Jul 21, 2016
  3. StephenQX Win User
    Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Are you using 3 column parity? This is the default setting for parity spaces in the Windows 8.1 GUI. If so, this is the reason for your high overhead. 3 column single-parity incurrs a 50% storage overhead (1 parity shard for every 2 data shards)

This makes sense for small pools containing 3 or 4 physical disks. However it is a poor choice with 14 physical disks.

In your case I suggest a 12 column dual-parity space. This means 2 parity shards for every 10 data shards. This will allow for recovery from two drive failures and give only a 20% storage overhead.

Unfortunately the Windows 8.1 GUI is too basic to allow creation of such a space. You need to use Powershell. You can create such a space on your existing storage pool and move data to it from your existing parity space. As you move the data your free space
    will increase.

StephenQX, Jul 21, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

Welcome to the forum win10 comes with robocopy and there is a free gui to make it simpliar Utility Spotlight: Robocopy GUI

run that as mirror and see if it copies any files its a ms product built for servers and very fast the actual size of data may vary due to cluster sizes

Samuria, Jul 21, 2016
  5. Thanks. I'll try this but having slept on the problem.....

I'm now of the opinion its nothing to do with my upgrade...or Storage Space creation.
    It's likely to be idiot USER error.

That'd be me.

mydogmuppet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation

1. Storage Space - Parity ( RAID5) - Lost data on creation - Similar Threads - Storage Space Parity

2. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  3. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expanding storage spaces with parity.: The storage space was created like this.New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage pool" -FriendlyName "Files" -NumberOfColumns 5 -Interleave 64KB -ResiliencySettingName Parity -UseMaximumSizeThen formatted with 128 KB as the Allocation Unit Size.I initially had 5*2TB...
  4. Expanding storage spaces with parity.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces now RAW format on 60TB of Parity using Storage Spaces: Thanks in advance.I recently upgraded my storage spaces and increased my storage size. I added an 18tb drive to an existing storage space. During this process I increased my storage space size logical to 80TB. I have 5X 18tb hard drives. The drives are set to parity, since...
  6. 20H2 and Parity storage spaces

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    20H2 and Parity storage spaces: I'm currently holding my desktop rig at Windows 10 1909 because I use Parity storage spaces. Has anyone here used Parity storage spaces on 20H2 and is able to confirm the 2004 bug has been fixed? I had to restore from backup when I first updated to 2004 and I don't want to...
  7. Storage Spaces Parity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity: Anyone here using Storage Spaces Parity mode? Looking for any information on your experiences with it if so. Thanks 168976
  8. Storage Spaces Parity

Storage Spaces Parity: Hi all, I use Windows Storage Spaces with 6 1TB drives. Using a parity setup The issue I am seeing is that when I first start copying/moving files to or from the volumes, the speeds are what I would expect approx 250-500MB/s but within around 10 seconds, the speeds drop...
  9. Storage Spaces Parity Repair?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Parity Repair?: Hi: I'm a newbie here... using an OWC Thunderbay 6 DAS with Thunderbolt 3 for video/photo files using (Win 10 Home) Storage Spaces for the past 6 weeks without problems. Using Parity option in Storage Spaces to emulate RAID 5 protection. Today, got Parity Error in Manage...
  10. Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive

Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive: I have been running storage spaces on my Win10 computer for quite some time now (and am happy with it, even when I lost a drive it recovered nicely). It worked without being annoyingly overcomplicated, and I really just needed slow, safe space. My setup: 3x hard drives, the...