Windows 10: Storage Spaces issues adding drive

Discus and support Storage Spaces issues adding drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Belariad, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Belariad Win User

Storage Spaces issues adding drive

I have a 4x 2TB drive storage pool setup with storage spaces under parity mostly used for movies/tv shows. I decided to buy 2 more 4TB drives and add them, but I only have space for 1 more at the moment (only 6 SATA connectors on my MB). After adding it (and appearing successful), it attempted to rebalance but eventually stopped changing the %complete and Storage Spaces eventually crashed. I tried again with my second drive, and the same problem. If I do "get-storagejob" in Powershell, every time i boot up it has 3 jobs (screenshot in linked Imgur album) and 2/3 of them always fail at 42%.
    I've tried removing both of the drives that failed to add (crashes), I've tried cancelling the rebalancing (crashes), and many other things but Storage Spaces continues to crash as soon as those 2 jobs reach 42% or I do anything to change something.
    Data on the drive appears accessible, but any attempt to view results in eternally spinning progress bars (sometimes a second or two of video before sputtering out). I'm usually pretty good with Google and can solve my own problems but this has had me spinning my wheels for days.
    Computer:
    OS - Windows 10 Pro
    CPU - i7 6700
    MB - Z170A PC MATE
    Any other details should be in the CPU-Z pastebin if it helps.
    Tech Issues
    CPU-Z - Pastebin.com

:)

Belariad, Mar 13, 2016
  2. Memo Pad Win User

Adding a Partition to Storage Space in Windows 10

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 750-287c with i7-6700U, 16G RAM, and 2x1TB HDD's. My PC originally had 1TB WD Blue HDD but I'm at 75% capacity. I decided to add a 2nd WD Blue HDD and create a storage space on the 2nd drive. I moved all of my files to this new "drive"
    created via storage space. I partitioned the boot drive (1TB) to added the unused space to my storage space but the Storage Space GUI doesn't recognize the new partitioned drive. Can we NOT added a partitioned drive to a storage space? Microsoft doesn't
    do a good job addressing this and i haven't seen a good response in any of the forums.

Memo Pad, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    that should help deal with removing and adding drives:

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10.

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Mar 13, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

You might try running the powershell command "Update-StoragePool -FriendlyName "[NameOfYourStoragePool]" without first and last quotes. Make sure you run powershell as Admin.

Railtech, Mar 16, 2016
  5. Hydranix Win User
    Since you need more SATA connectors, and you're now starting to get serious about hard drive storage, I'd suggest ditching the software route (storage spaces, SoftRAID, etc)_ and getting yourself a dedicated RAID controller. They have their own processors on the card to handle all the RAID processing. Most have some memory on the card as well to make things work more quickly/smoothly.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes. One downside though, if you don't have an options to skip boot roms in your BIOS/UEFI (ASUS does, I'm sure others do) it may increase your boot time by several seconds. An advantage too though, that you can do some management of your RAID from the card's BIOS without having to boot your operating system. (good when/if the OS goes haywire)

Don't get a cheap one if you do decide to go this route. Just about every card under $150 is worthless.

Hydranix, Mar 16, 2016
  6. Belariad Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion Railtech. I have tried that before but when I type that it asks me to confirm, I confirm, and then it doesn't say anything else. Not sure if did what it's supposed to, but it still crashes after about 5 minutes like it has been.

Hydranix, from what I understand RAID is very inflexible and has it's own querks. I couldn't find a straight answer on how to simply add a new drive to expand the storage space in RAID not to mention expanding with a *gasp* different sized drive. I wanted something that could grow with me and didn't all need to be on the same raid controller. Regardless, I'll consider your suggestion after I get through this.

Belariad, Mar 17, 2016
  7. Railtech Win User
    One thing I have found on new drives larger than 1 TB is corruption from the factory. Seems quality control has gone down hill somewhat in recent times. I always run chkdsk /r against new large drives to correct any corruption before putting them in service.

Another possibility is sector size. the sector size on disk must be the same on all the drives otherwise you will be unsuccessful.

• Run msinfo32 in command line that should popup a GUI window called "System Information"
    • In the left pane select "System Summary->Components->Storage->Disks". This should load info of all drives in the right pane
    • Find your desired drive and check the value for "Bytes/Sector". it should list the sector size of each disk

Railtech, Mar 17, 2016
  8. Belariad Win User

Thanks for your help again Railtech,

After much frustration and trying to unplug each individual drive and restart over and over again in an attempt to isolate any single drive causing the problem, it magically started to repair itself. It must have been a physical connection causing some mysterious error because previously they all showed up as healthy in "Get-PhysicalDisk" powershell command as well as CrystalDiskInfo SMART checks. After the storage space started repairing itself, it also showed up with several new errors in CrystalDiskInfo for one of my oldest disks but is still listed as healthy in the Storage Pool list. I imagine it's starting to fail so I'll remove it as soon as things are repaired and stable.

I'll be sure to run checks on the new drives before I integrate them, but I think the stress of rebalancing caused one of the older drives some issues and somehow that threw everything out of whack. If it had cleanly failed, I suspect the parity could have rebuilt with my new drives, but it was holding on just enough to cause the system to crash over and over again.

Mystery solved, and hopefully updating the storage pool helped.

Belariad, Mar 18, 2016
  9. Belariad Win User
    One more question. These are the results for the drive that started showing a SMART error. Is this in any way recoverable or should it be turfed?

Storage Spaces issues adding drive [​IMG]

Belariad, Mar 18, 2016
  10. Railtech Win User
    Oh yeah! That drive is toast! Good for a door stop! I notice that this drive is an SATA II drive not SATA III, are you mixing these together in Storage Spaces? If so I would advise against it and if so that could be an underlying factor to the drive failure.

Railtech, Mar 18, 2016
  11. Belariad Win User
    It's one of 2 of my first big drives that is still SATA II so that means there will only be 1 left after this whole process is over. Do you think its important enough to get rid of it proactively?

Belariad, Mar 18, 2016
  12. Railtech Win User
    If it were me I would remove the SATA II drives from the pool and only keep the SATA III drives. The SATA II drive will degrade the drive pool from a performance stand point and because the SATA III drives can handle data much better and faster will cause the SATA II drive to run maxed out all the time thus leading to drive failure and failure of the pool again.

Best to just remove it now and get it over with.

Railtech, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Storage Spaces issues adding drive - Similar Threads - Storage Spaces issues

2. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  3. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...: I have a Simple no resiliency storage space with 2 HDD 2 x 14TB. I want to add a 3rd drive to increase pool space, but I'm a little confused about how that will work.The storage space currently has 2 columns one for each physical disk and I know that cannot be changed without...
  4. Adding a drive to a 'simple' storage space...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Issue: Adding drives doesn't increase free space

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Issue: Adding drives doesn't increase free space: Hi there,I am hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I have included snapshots of 1 Storage Spaces window and 2 Windows Explorer.I have added new drives to both Storage Spaces: One is two-way mirror and the other is simple.My expectation is that explorer should...
  6. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Issue: Adding drives doesn't increase free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Storage Spaces Issue: Adding drives doesn't increase free space: Hi there,I am hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. I have included snapshots of 1 Storage Spaces window and 2 Windows Explorer.I have added new drives to both Storage Spaces: One is two-way mirror and the other is simple.My expectation is that explorer should...
  7. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Issue: Adding drives doesn't increase free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data

Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data: Currently I backup my PC to an 8TB disk using Windows 10 backup. The drive is almost full so using Storage Spaces, I would like to add a new 8 TB drive for a total of 16 TB without losing any data byFirst create a new Storage Space on a new blank 8TB driveCopy the current 8...
  9. Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces

Adding\Replacing Drives In Storage Spaces: Hello, We recently purchased a new server which we will be using to support several of our SQL databases. The server contains 4 NVMe drives that will be used for the database files. The server is running Windows Sever 2019. We would like to use Storage Spaces to “manage”...
  10. Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive

Storage spaces, parity, and adding an additional drive: I have been running storage spaces on my Win10 computer for quite some time now (and am happy with it, even when I lost a drive it recovered nicely). It worked without being annoyingly overcomplicated, and I really just needed slow, safe space. My setup: 3x hard drives, the...