Windows 10: Storage spaces - My OS drive failed.

Discus and support Storage spaces - My OS drive failed. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a small PC with 3 hard drives, 1 is the OS drive and the other 2 are in a drive pool using Storage Spaces. Now my OS drive has failed and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Davoodoo, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Davoodoo Win User

Storage spaces - My OS drive failed.

I have a small PC with 3 hard drives, 1 is the OS drive and the other 2 are in a drive pool using Storage Spaces.

Now my OS drive has failed and my Macrium backup files are in the Drive Pool. I have a new drive for my OS.

What is my best course of action? *cry

:)

Davoodoo, Aug 14, 2016

2. Storage Space

Hi,

My question is the storage space so let's assume I have created a storage space on my computer, but my computer failed and I need it to run it urgently. Can I migrate these storage space hard disk to other computer and let it perform like normal?

Thank You

CloudStrife, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Cannot remove a "Retired" drive in Windows 10 Storage Spaces

After spending a few more hours on YouTube looking at everything about Storage Spaces, I found one video where a guy shows how to use the Powershell commands to "retire" a specific drive in the Storage Space pool of drives. This essentially tells Storage
    Spaces to reallocate the data on the selected drive and prepare it for removal. The reallocation works on Parity and 2 and 3 way mirror volumes, but NOT for Simple volumes, which he added in his comments section. Since I no longer use Simple volumes in my
    Storage Spaces pool, the "retire" Powershell command would do everything else I wanted in my proposed "vacate drive" command. I can live with the Powershell retire command until the Storage Spaces GUI adds a method to retire a drive.

BTW, I talked to a few other local computer guys who tried Storage Spaces on their systems. Both said that they had used Simple volumes as part of their pool, and everything was great until it wasn't. Both reported that they lost ALL their data in their
    Simple volumes when one drive failed. Fortunately for me, my failed drive was still seen by my Storage Spaces and was automatically "retired." I was able to manually transfer all the data on the Simple volume to a Parity volume. If the drive had totally failed
    and was no longer recognized by Storage Spaces, I guess I would also have lost everything!?

I was under the impression that if you had a Simple volume on a multi drive pool, and one drive failed, you would only lose data on that drive. What I think people are experiencing, is that the ENTIRE Simple volume, spanning multiple drives, will lose ALL
    data when the Simple volume becomes inaccessible due to a drive failure (Storage Spaces no longer sees the failed drive at all).

At best, if you need faster read/write times than a Parity or Mirror volume on your server, then a Simple volume should only be considered as a limited TEMP file storage solution. For me, it's no longer worth it and if I need a simple backup of my data,
    I'll just use a standalone USB HDD not associated with Storage Spaces.

GeorgeTaus, Aug 14, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Storage Spaces/Drive Pool makes independently checking each of the data hard-drives impossible? Quick-read via Google has me believing the software needed to view data folders & files resided on the now-defunct OS hard-drive, is that correct? And, there was no way to make a WinPE-like Storage Spaces/Drive Pool & Macrium Reflect usb boot stick or DVD boot, correct? Or, was there a way originally and such boot was not made?

RolandJS, Aug 14, 2016
  5. Davoodoo Win User
    I could find no easy way to get my backup file off of my Storage Spaces drives. I just connected the new hard drive and did a fresh Win 10 install.

Windows then immediately picked up my Storage Spaces drives and I could copy my Macrium backup file from it. Then used Macrium to restore to the new drive and I am now back up and running. *Biggrin

I just wish there was an easier way to get files off of Storage Spaces drives.

Davoodoo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Storage spaces - My OS drive failed. - Similar Threads - Storage spaces drive

2. Storage Spaces drive missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces drive missing: My storage spaces "two-way mirror" pool has lost one of the drives after using the drive individually in another PC. The drive shows up as green and "okay", but none of the updated files are on it and it doesn't show up when connected alone. When running recovery software...
  3. Storage Spaces drive missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces drive missing: My storage spaces "two-way mirror" pool has lost one of the drives after using the drive individually in another PC. The drive shows up as green and "okay", but none of the updated files are on it and it doesn't show up when connected alone. When running recovery software...
  4. Storage Space - Unable to complete removal of a failed drive

Storage Space - Unable to complete removal of a failed drive: I have a storage pool that has been working since they were introduced. I have had several failed HDDs over the years and always been able to remove the drive and replace.This time, however, I have a drive that I can't force remove.I have tried several of the Powershell...
  5. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  6. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  7. Drive storage out of space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive storage out of space: On updating Windows 10, drive C is out of space. How i can dissolve this matter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-storage-out-of-space/929f282e-daf5-4d64-ad32-205e95480f2a
  8. Storage: OS and local drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage: OS and local drive: My computer says I have 40.8 MB free of 449 MB on the local disk E: and 848 GB out of 921 GB on my OS C: drive. It seems that I have a lot of storage left on this computer so how do I use some of those 848 GB's?...
  9. No drives that work with Storage spaces...

No drives that work with Storage spaces...: I was trying to create using USB drives and despite trying different types of drives I kept getting the error above that no drives that work with storage spaces available... However when I google creating storage spaces it says that usb drives work.... How can this be fixed?...
  10. Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool: I had 3x 3TB drives in a parity pool. It started to fill up so i added a fourth 3TB drive and months later one of the original 3 began to fail on me. Performance was slow, then slower, then it showed disconnected. I retired the drive and added a replacement, literally the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. os drive failed windows spaces