Windows 10: Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter

Discus and support Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I am facing a problem when trying to resize a volume under storage spaces. In powershell I can extend the virtualdisk but afterwards when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dimitris123, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter

Hello,
    I am facing a problem when trying to resize a volume under storage spaces.
    In powershell I can extend the virtualdisk but afterwards when I try to extend the partition I get the following error
    The following screenshot is to demonstrate the issue

Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter [​IMG]

Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter
    Activity ID: {5333086d-a957-0003-d208-335357a9d301}
    At line:1 char:1
    + Resize-Partition -Size 37.1TB -DriveLetter h
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/.../MSFT_Partition) [Resize-Partition], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 5,Resize-Partition

As a result the virtualdisk can resize with no problems and right now is at 37.2TB, but the volume is still 28.9TB

The storage spaces have more than enough free space and also I have successfully created a 60.4TB volume W: which is empty.
    My data is on H: and this is the volume I cannot resize

Note that I have successfully resized the storage space some months ago following the same procedure and my guess is that in the recent updates this ability has been messed up. I have the same issue on two other pcs with storage spaces that cannot be extended.
    Windows 10 Pro for workstations v1709 build 16299.248

Has anyone faced the same problem lately? And what are your ideas on the problem?

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

:)

dimitris123, Feb 18, 2018
  2. GTS-NJ Win User

I have recurring problems with lack of disc space at the moment, can I remove the extra partition in the process of upgrading Windows 10?

Firstly, disk space and memory are two different things. Memory (RAM - Random Access Memory) is a temporary storage area only available when the computer is running. Disk space / storage is where permanent storage takes place.

This, in itself, is not a reason to upgrade. In any case, that would not give you an option to adjust partitions. There is such an option when doing a clean Windows installation only.

You may be able to shrink or delete (this will delete any data there) the extra partition and then increase the size of your main partition. Windows has some built in capability for this as explained in the link below. However, depending on the situation
    sometimes 3rd party software may be needed.

BE CAREFUL! It is best to do a full backup before any partition changes.

Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7, 8.x, 10, or Vista

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...for-free-in-windows-vista/?PageSpeed=noscript

GTS-NJ, Feb 18, 2018
  3. Jim-L Win User
    Unable to format software RAID created using Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk: The parameter is inccorect

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I'm unable to create software RAID-0 or RAID-1 using either Storage Spaces or Dynamic Disk. I can create the partition just fine, but formatting the partition will fail with an error: "The parameter is incorrect."

Formatting using Storage Manager, diskpart or format doesn't make any difference.

Jim-L, Feb 18, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter

Hi, I don't know if you have recently upgraded to 1709 and then experienced problem, but on a thread about storage spaces (there are some of those) I think the user had lost access to storage space until reverting to the previous build.

How do I recover/repair my storage space? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I would guess that if you can work out which update or upgrade resulted in the problem that might help.

Sorry, no easy solution.. maybe someone else can help.

You might try searching the forum for
    storage spaces
    and see if anything helps - I don't know enough on this.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  5. As far as I remember I had resized the storage spaces within 1709, but one of the latest updates has probably messed up with the resizing function.

I am aware of the other issues but nothing resembled this.
    My best guess is that this is a bug since I have exhausted most of the possible solutions.

6. dalchina New Member
    For anyone reading this- I've OCR'd the text in red:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Resize-Partition -Size 37.1TB -DriveLetter h
    Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter
    Activity ID: {5333086d-a957-0003-d208-335357a9d301}
    At line:1 char:1
    + Resize-Partition -Size 37.1TB -DriveLetter h
    + Categorylnfo : InvalidArgument: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/.../MSFT_Partition) [Resize-Partition], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorld : StorageWMI 5.Resize-Partition

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  7. I already have this text with red letters under the powershell screenshot *Smile

8. dalchina New Member

Yes, but I found it extremely hard to read- now it's clearer...

I see what you mean in terms of the command apparently being correct. As it's a simple syntax check it seems strange it is complaining.

If you think it's an update, rather than an upgrade, you could of course experiment by uninstalling upgrades.... not nice...

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  9. I had an idea that worked out just fine

I booted in Safe Mode and extended the pool to the available virtualdisk size

Now the volume has successfully resized to 59.9TB

Hope this will help anyone with the same problem

Always backup before such procedures!

dimitris123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Storage spaces, Resize-Partition : Invalid Parameter - Similar Threads - Storage spaces Resize

2. Partition Resize Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Partition Resize Apps: Hello,I want to resize some partitions. Does anybody know a free app that can help me? I tried to increase C: space, but I can't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partition-resize-apps/cb1eba8e-11e9-4995-84c6-f47ccec8ca4b
  3. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  4. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resize partitions: I have one 18T HD in two partitions, 6T + 12T unallocated, now I want to shink in one 18T but fail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-partitions/912c9013-7422-4ac6-aff1-2870203a45a9
  5. Resize partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. invalid api parameters captcha

invalid api parameters captcha: I undated windows and the before working captcha now doesn't work. Doesn't matter if I reinstall chrome, java, follow the guide which resets the ip, install the ie tab! I run cccleaner, malwarebytes as instructed..., know where is by heart...
  7. Parameter is invalid

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Parameter is invalid: Ok since every discussion on this has been closed or locked guess I have to start a new one. This started 3 days ago and it started with the calculator app I'm guessing because I noticed it there first. But now every app including micro store and others now come up with...
  8. invalid INF passed as parameter

invalid INF passed as parameter: hello i decided to update my laptop drivers but when i start the command thingy it says invalid INF passed as parameter and it restarts help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/invalid-inf-passed-as-parameter/ab19feaa-4fc0-4294-8fd8-0b7481b6d07e"
  9. What is resizing maximum shadow copy storage space?

What is resizing maximum shadow copy storage space?: On my laptop, drive C: is a small solid state drive with only about 50G of free space. I noticed that a little bit of this free space is disappearing every day until only a few gigs of free space was remaining. Turned out, shadow storage was eating up all the free space. The...
  10. Robocopy invalid parameter 3

Robocopy invalid parameter 3: Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but this script keeps telling me that a parameter is invalid and I can't figure out why.. I moved the parameters to a variable because somebody suggested that might work but I also tried Robocopy "$StartLocation" "$EndLocation" /SEC /E...